Size: Box 12Colour Name: BlueChange

6,215 of 6,292 people found the following review helpful
on 28 August 2012
Normally I only use pens designed and created for real men, in colours appropriate to such instruments of masculinity - black like my chest hair or blue like the steely glint of my eyes, or the metallic paintwork of my convertible Mustang sportscar. Imagine then the situation I found myself in when, upon taking delivery of another shipment of motorbike parts and footballs, I reached for and grasped not my normal BIC pen, but a `BIC for Her Amber Medium Ballpoint Pen' (evidently ordered by my well-meaning, but ill-informed girlfriend whilst my back was turned). I knew something was wrong when I had to physically restrain my hands, gnarled and worn from a lifetime of rock-climbing and shark wrestling, from crushing the fragile implement like a Faberge egg. Things only went downhill from there.

Normally my hand writing is defined and strong, as if chiselled in granite by the Greek gods themselves, however upon signing my name I noticed that my signature was uncharacteristically meandering and looping. More worryingly the dots above the I's manifested themselves as hearts, and I found myself finishing off the signature with a smiley face and kisses. Obviously I had no choice but to challenge the delivery man to a gun fight on the rim of an erupting volcano in order to reassert my dominance. Had I not won this honourable duel this particular mistake might have resulted in a situation that no amount of expensive single malt whiskey and Cuban cigars could banish. I leave this review here as a warning to all men about the dangers of using this particular device, and suffice-it-to-say will return to signing my name with a nail gun as normal.
9696 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2012
When is a pen not a pen? when its a Bic for her! I purchased this pen as a birthday gift and watched with eager anticipation as my wife of twenty years deftly opened elegantly wrapped box, exclaiming with delight at the sight of the stylish writing implement designed specifically for her porcelain digits to caress.....imagine my unbridled happiness at seeing her finally unleash the creative juices that had been cruelly bottled up inside her for so many years, hamstrung by the misogynist pen industry! but no she has set forth on a flurry of literary journeys, from creating sublime shopping lists (in such an elegant hand that it reminds me of the wonderful penmanship only usually associated with scholastically brutaized victorian school children forced to spend hours perfecting millimeter accurate script in draughty classrooms with only the hard lash of the cane for comfort) leaving me loving notelets extolling the virtues of finally being able to leave me loving notelets.....thank you Bic for reinvigorating a lifeless waif who's only pleasure before was writing her name in the window mist sometimes appearing on the tiny skylight in her room of shame.
4,936 of 5,028 people found the following review helpful
on 16 August 2012
I bought this pen (in error, evidently) to write my reports of each day's tree felling activities in my job as a lumberjack. It is no good. It slips from between my calloused, gnarly fingers like a gossamer thread gently descending to earth between two giant redwood trunks.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
2,742 of 2,795 people found the following review helpful
on 3 September 2012
My husband has never allowed me to write, as he doesn't want me touching mens pens. However when I saw this product, I decided to buy it (using my pocket money) and so far it has been fabulous! Once I had learnt to write, the feminine colour and the grip size (which was more suited to my delicate little hands) has enabled me to vent thoughts about new recipe ideas, sewing and gardening. My husband is less pleased with this product as he believes it will lead to more independence and he hates the feminine tingling sensation (along with the visions of fairies and rainbows) he gets whenever he picks it up.
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2012
How are you supposed to use these without paper made for girls? All I could find around the house is paper for mens, at least that's what I assumed because there was no specific packaging indicating otherwise. I'm very frustrated now. Hurry up and release the paper so us girls can write good too.
on 28 August 2012
While I have always held Bic products in high regard, I cannot give them a good rating on this one. Don't they realize what they've done? Now we are going to have women running around, all willy-nilly, writing things with pens.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2012
Firstly, a concession. I can only say this with the relative anonymity afforded to me by an Amazon 'pen name'. For now, please allow me my cowardice, and forgive it. You will understand why in a moment, when I say what I must say.

There is a truth that dare not speak its name. It is this. As women, we have done our best. We have tried to compete. Superficially, given the social changes of the last 100 years or so, it looks as though we are nearing a place of equality with men--in terms of our status in the society, our level of education, our economic empowerment, and so on and so forth. Oh yes, there have been glitches, setbacks. But in general all seems to be progressing at a reasonable rate, I'm sure you will agree. Everything is moving in the right direction.

And yet all the while there's this feeling, this thought. It's stalking us, and wherever we go--it's there. If we look down inside of ourselves, way deep down, we see it. And I, for one, can no longer deny this truth.

We crave a simpler time. We have stirred up a hornet's nest, you see, and sent things flying every which way. We've made it so that men can be weak, and women can be strong. And we're supposed to fight in wars, and argue in court and change tyres and defend ourselves from attackers. We are to give birth to children--and yet we must know how the world works, and we must be part of it, and have a say in it. But now we can pause and see, and know--in the privacy of our own hearts, even if we will never admit it to another living soul--that we want to go back.

Back to the nursery, with our frilly knickers and pretty little party dresses. Back to the Olden Days, where women were 'ladies' or they were 'sluts', and never the twain did meet. We knew where we were, you see. Our roles were clear. And now... chaos. We are undone. We are expected to think. We must write our own notes, on our own paper. We must own our words, and stand by them. We must grasp the nettle of opportunity, the harsh red and black and blue of the pens of the real world, and we must be... as men. As men!

We tremble to know it, but we have made a mistake. And we want to change our minds. Oh for pity's sake, can't we? Isn't that the lady's privilege, even now? We want to wear hoop skirts and hold hankies under our noses to ward off unpleasant smells. We want to be shielded from business and war and the grimy matters of commerce and machinery and law-making. We want to use only 'special' pens and 'special' paper, because we are indeed special, in the fibre and the fabric of our womanly flesh. We are not like you, oh Everyman... Please know, an 'everywoman' is a different thing, it is the Other. We are soft creatures. We are not meant for the rough and tumble. We know our place, and it is not less than yours--but it is less plagued with strife and cross words spoken, and the necessity of using Liquid Paper or crossing things out. We write differently, because our lives are different. We might almost write upon the wings of a fairy, or upon the wind. We are creatures of fancy, and the spirit. We are free.

Surely in generations to come we will remember the name of BIC, the name that has paved the way for a new era of enlightenment. Hard as it is to write--still more to say out loud--we want our old lives back. And when that precious place for us is restored we will be able, once again, to breathe easy and use our pens (and pen names) only for the glorification and amusement of the male condition. For ornamentation. For delight.

It will be as it always should have been, before those frigid, neurotic spinsters--Austen, Eliot, Brontë, Woolf, Wharton, Shelley et al--so coarsely interposed themselves into the course of history. Praise be to BIC. For now let my admiration be anonymous, but one day I will go out into the world and herald this great achievement with all the passion that only a liberated slave can feel.
2,579 of 2,643 people found the following review helpful
on 20 August 2012
I never did very well at school. I wanted to learn and it felt like all the words I needed were right there in my head, but I just couldn't get them onto the paper in front of me. If I really pushed myself, I could sometimes manage to draw pretty flowers in the margins but this didn't please Sir and I was soon in all the bottom sets. What really confused me is that I had no problems in cookery or textiles. At the time I didn't understand why I could grip and use a wooden spoon or sewing needle but couldn't properly hold my black-coloured pen for more than 45 seconds without dropping it on the floor and weeping.

Things were a bit better when I left school to go and work sweeping up hair at the local salon - yet again, the broom seemed to just fit into my grip as if it was meant to be there - and I saved up to buy a pink laptop. I still had trouble writing for a long time because, although the case was pink, the keys weren't designed for female eyes which, as we all know, struggle to discern between shades of black and grey. I could write for about 4 minutes at a time, though, and that's how I found out about these wonderful pens for girls like me.

As soon as they arrived, I was soothed by the pink packaging - I'd been feeling stressed after driving back from work because my hands just won't stay on the black, leather-effect steering wheel in my cute mini. Anyway, I quickly found a piece of notepaper with pictures of kittens round the edges and had a go at writing my name. It was amazing! The pen just stayed in place between my fingers, just like it always had for the boys in my class at school. Well, in no time I'd filled a whole notepad and had to go and get another one!

Now I've gone back to night school and hope to realise my ambition of enrolling on a childcare course next year. I'm also halfway through writing an erotic novel set in Victorian times - but with vampires!

My only criticism of these wonderful pens is that I get a bit bored with all 12 looking the same. I get around this my customising each pack. At the moment, the pen I have in use is covered in stripes of glitter and I glued a pink pompom and one of those diamanté charms you get on mobile phones (I couldn't fit any more on my phone) onto the top. I think BIC should start adding pens like this to their range because some women find it difficult to hold tubes of superglue properly - I asked the 6 year old boy who lives next door to help me.
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
3,215 of 3,295 people found the following review helpful
on 20 August 2012
This pen is great. I bought it for all my female friends and relatives. It enabled them, finally, to write things (although they may not yet know to do so on paper; but you can only expect so much, really). I thought they were just a bit slow.

My mother, a hard-working woman who raised twelve kids single-handedly whilst doing all the ironing (as nature intended), was furtively abashed by her illiteracy. Long would she gaze upon her husband and sons' scrawlings and would dedicate five minutes a day (which she really should have spent making sandwiches) to pray that one day she would be granted the ability to create such scribbles of her own. She's still a little slow on the uptake, but this product has definitely helped start the ball rolling. We tried to give her men's pens but she used to rip the cartridges out and drink the ink. Typical woman.

Anyway, it's good that BIC are finally doing something to aid the plight of women. Hopefully a range of 'for her' paperclips is on the horizon - my wife has an awful time keeping her recipes together.
4949 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2013
From the lovely feminine shape, pink rubberised soft grip and delicate balance I did initially assume these were some sort of discreet sex toy.

However I have recovered from this initial disappointment and as soon as I started to write with them I found my thoughts and indeed words immediately became more ladylike and demure.

I now longer feel the need to bother the world writing about feminism, equality or empowerment, not least because these sorts of words actually will not come out of the pen. I have left my high powered executive position and now sit at home writing cake recipes, making lists of how to please my boyfriend and drawing pictures of kittens.

I did take a short break to burn my complete works of Germaine Greer but otherwise I am happy spending all day doodling twinkly pink fluffy thoughts with my twinkly pink pen.

The only slight drawback was that when my boyfriend used one of the pens and it made him temporarily gay, however I left him for a few hours with good solid permanent marker and he soon recovered.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse