Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 12 December 2012
I don't normally write reviews of my purchases, preferring to leave them until I feel I can be really useful in a specific way, and I think I can do that with this product, especially for anyone who has, or is thinking of purchasing this for use with a Raspberry Pi, or anyone else who is concerned about potential issues with RF range, and the problems some people seem to be having with this remote control.

There are a 'lot' of poor reviews of this remote purely down to issues with poor RF range. I can confirm that 'out-of-the-box', and used as instructed, there are often issues with the little receiving unit not being capable of picking up a good quality signal. I have experienced this myself, and thought I'd bought something that was almost unusable in my intended way, to control my Pi from a decent distance across the room.

I can tell anyone that has had this issue, or is worried about this issue enough to warrant not buying the product, that using the small USB receiving unit on the end of a short USB extension cable will solve all issues that anyone is having with limited RF range. I bought a cheap-as-chips A-male to A-female USB extension cable, for literally 'pennies', and it's solved all my range issues at a stroke. There seems to be some issues with poorly screened PCB boards, of which the Pi seems to be guilty of, and the simple method of moving the USB RF receiver away from the circuit board solves any range issues at once. I can only presume that anyone having similar issues in other flavours of media-centres or other PC's are having similar issues that can be solved with the same method.

In terms of raw numbers, before the USB receiver was moved from the Pi my range was limited to about 1m, and it was fairly erratic even at just the 1m range. After putting the USB receiver on the end of my short USB extension cable, I can still have excellent RF control at the 5m range, which is at the limits of my room. It may work well beyond that, and there's no reason to think that it shouldn't, but the change in range and accuracy of the mouse-pad movement was dramatically better as soon as I began using the extension cable.

I wanted to put this solution here to help anyone already having this issue, but also to help stop people being put off from buying this absolutely superb product if this one issue was the reason for that. It's a brilliant remote, especially for the Pi, and for the sake of spending another quid on a short extension then it should continue to be seen as the great product that it is.

I hope this review is useful, and that it can help people out.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 December 2012
I bought this to experiment with turning a raspberry pi in to a cheap media centre. I spent a day playing around with the setup, and then sent it back. As a bit of nerdy geeky playing about, it was amusing, but the end result was no where near functional or reliable enough for the whole family to seriously use. The problems I had with the software on the pi are of course nothing to do with this keyboard, but the sketchy wireless performance certainly is. Sat on the sofa furthest from the TV (which is only about 12-14 feet away), the keyboard would often fail to respond or miss keystrokes, which made navigating around xbmc an immensely frustrating experience. Moving forward a few feet pretty much resolved this, but just made it all the more irritating to use. What is the point of a remote that you have to stand up in order to use? No amount of adjusting the position of the receiver or any other nearby wireless equipment made any difference, and the device was fully charged. The wireless just seems weak.

I was also not at all happy having a laser pointer lying about in such an innocuous and familiar looking object where young children might get their hands on it when nobody is looking. Very dangerous in my opinion. It might be useful for giving business presentations, but this function should not be included in something that is obviously being sold in to the domestic market. There were no warnings whatsoever in the package I received.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 February 2015
I have this for an Amazon Fire TV. It is totally useless.

The first one I received connected well - the problem is when you press any of the keys, the all stick! So if you search for ABCD, you get AAAABBCCCCCDDD - then when you try to delete, it deletes everything! This happened every time.

I arranged to return it (not the easiest process - I had to take a photo of the item and email it to the seller, then fill out a returns form, then post it with a photo of postage proof!)

I got a 2nd one very quickly. Guess what - exactly the same problem!

This is a cheap item - it may function ok if you just want to use the trackpad but it isn't good enough to use as a keyboard.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 May 2014
I use this as a TV remote for my PC/TV. The transmitter is IR - so it needs a direct line of sight from transmitter to receiver. I duct-taped the receiver with a USB extension to the top of the television so it's only just visible.

The back light is handy for movie night and the keyboard is actually really nice. Very much like a blackberry keyboard and has some of the function keys that are often missing off mini-keyboards.

The issue I run into is the 'thumb pad'. If you're hand is behind it, it interferes with the response on the pad. Sometimes confusing your thumb. The best way to use it I've found is either length ways, so my thumb extends up onto the pad but my hand is lower. Or to hold it sideways and use a single finger instead. The thumb pads accuracy is still questionable with the single finger and so if you need precise mouse movements DO NOT go for this.

It also comes with a laser, which is useless for my purposes but hell it's fun. Point at stuff! The battery lasts forever and I have had to charge it once since getting it months ago.
on 13 April 2012
Amazingly good quality-price ratio for real! 4.5/5

Was using it now for two days quite many hours, browsing internet, watching movies and playing songs from sofa - no problems at all. At least with the unit I got is model number RT-MWK01+ ([...])

Props:
+ driverless usage! No drivers needed with Windows 7 64-bit, Mac Lion, XP SP3 -tested.
+ well responsive connection (tested from 3-4 meters of PC) and very nice feeling buttons + well responsive touchpad (obviously not as smooth as nowadays GorillaGlass whatever but hey look at its price)
+ keyboard has all characters needed really (pound and dollar signs are there but not euro tho. F1 - F8 with 1-click F9 - F12 with holding FN button)
+ Fn+enter is Ctrl-Alt-Del nice shortcut :)
+ charging via mini-USB cable (got it charged in my car while driving from post office to home :)
+ very lightweight like 100g or similar, comfy to hold
+ RF receiver possible to carry within remote device, very handy
+ sturdy design really. Ok plastic used feels cheap but somehow well put together!
+ indicator for wireless connection, caps lock and battery.
+ back light is dimming itself when device not in use for a while, and the RF connection too (power saver)
+ On/Off button separately
+ Fn+touchpad = scrolling wheel
+ combo of Ctrl and + or - signs works just fine for zooming web pages (with Chrome browser at least)

Cons:
- no dedicated Win -button (it's via Fn)
- RF connection has an odd issue and it's because of holding left forefinger on a top left corner of the device -probably wireless receiver is in that area. Have to keep finger off top left corner then no probs.
- USB port is open to dust and trash to get in

Suggestion to Rii --> enhance browsing-from-sofa experience :) make some dedicated keys to improve on using ZOOM functions in browsers and windows explorer.. like Win key, or right side Ctrl key, or even separate scrolling wheel or FN button on a top of device to be able to use it more with one hand!
You know not everyone can afford big screens, all students has 19"-24" inches screens and you have to zoom every new page and also when searching for files in operating system.
- Horizontal scrolling function with touchpad -AGAIN you need it because you are sometimes zoomed into web page to see it better from your sofa.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 May 2013
I bought 12 of these for a Raspberry Pi project at school, thinking they would be great for our kids (7-9) and let them see the R-Pi as a fun thng, not just another type of PC with a big clunky keyboard. Initial reaction was great but the quality was poor and they have been failing one after another with on/off switch problems - it is very poor quality and you should think of this as a novelty throwaway item. We wasted a lot of precious budget on these, what a mistake.
on 22 July 2012
Having previously owned, and enjoyed using another one of these for 18 months before dropping it, I never hesitated to purchase another... albeit from a different seller.
Unfortunatly, the new one arrived defective!

Charging "Red" light went off after 1 minute... No way to know when it was fully charged.
After several hours of charging, I then proceeded to use it, and found that an Orange light flickered with every keystroke.. Caps lock light also flickered when in use... Trackpad had a mind of its own and went up instead of down, or sideways... no matter if I used it Horizontal or vertical.

Trying to type would only bring up a contextual menue from the toolbar?????
Using Shift key would turn the white battery level light on... And would only turn off when I clicked the Space Bar.

Typing at times would show no Letters and would freeze the cursor until I clicked again on the Space Bar.

Yes, as others have stated... The "Instruction" booklet is a complete joke, littered with spelling mistakes and over use of commas..!
Nowhere does it mention the time to initialy charge the battery... but does say Overcharging will deteriate the life of the battery!!!!

Indeed, it is not UK friendly and you have to work out which 2 keys to use together in order to type certain things.. ie, @ and £ and ; and : and #.. amongst others.
But when you get used to what to press, then its just another small learning curve and you get used to that way of using it.

I thoroughly enjoyed using my last one, and it worked just perfect... and it is like Marmite, you either love this keyboard or you will hate it... I loved it, thats why I purchased another!

Just a pity that this one was defective and the company will not offer a replacement, only a Refund through Amazon, so thats roughly 4 weeks before the refund is made!
Ive now ordered another from another seller, so fingers crossed that arrives in a Fit for purpose state!

<<<<<<<<<<<<< Edit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

The new one I purchased from another seller - Loftek Technological Co. LLC, is just as bad... it works, sometimes, but very badly!
Im a little concerned that the company I bought this one from, has now changed its name from GREEN SUNSHINE LTD to NowAdvisorUK - Is this to avoid the bad publicity from selling inferior units, having being named in these Reviews?

Having read further online about these units, I see there are a few badly made imitations doing the rounds.... so its a case of Buyer BEWARE!!!!
Yeah, indeed there are a few people that are lucky to receive fully working units, and who are very happy with them, as I was with my original one.... but to me that sounds a little like Russian Roulette.... so please be warned before purchasing

If you get one that works, they are very good... but what is the percentage of those that do work, with those that just dont, or work badly?... this is a very bad issue here, where we, the end user, are having to gamble on whether we receive a working unit or not, and seeing the companys change thier names to avoid being labled as the ones that sell the bad units, then that alone should underline any concerns you may have before deciding to purchase these units eh?... why else would these companys change thier names?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 April 2015
Awful just utter rubbish. The price definately reflects the product. If it wants to work it does for a few seconds other than that pure dog poo. Won't charge for more than 5 mins, won't stay connected to what ever you're using it for more than a few seconds and dies almost straight away after taking off charge. Don't buy this piece of plastic. Spend the money on something good and avoid the frustration this product brings.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have two major gripes about this keyboard:
1) It is a US layout keyboard - I should have spotted it in the photo, but it did not state this in the description. This would be less problematic in a full-size keyboard.
2) The action is poor to the point that the keyboard is all-but-unusable (NB I have been in IT since 1986. I know when I need to get used to a device and when it is just plain crap). Key presses frequently fail to register. Unless you look solely at the screen, you frequently have to backtrack and retype. Worse, keys frequently remain "pressed" i.e. the key iteself returns to its unpressed position, but the character repeats rapidly until you notice and press something else.
I had hoped to save space when adding a new device to my desk, but I think I'll cut my losses and buy a cheap, "normal" keyboard.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 August 2015
Note: The maker supplied a review sample for evaluation, the opinion of the product is my own personal view

The Rii Mini i8 is a simple but very handy "super small" keyboard with the addition of a built in "touch pad" which supports a few gestures allowing you to use it as a mouse (L/R clicks can be done either with the buttons or with a gesture) scrolling is also possible too via this pad making it much easier to browse the internet on a variety of devices such as smart TV's, Android boxes and other media players.

Onto the main keyboard connecting is very simple take the back cover off pop the "nano USB" receiver out and turn on the keyboard. Normal QWERTY layout will be instantly familiar to all using your thumbs you can get a reasonable typing speed with a bit of practice. The keyboard has a good tactile feel on the buttons, lower profile with firm clicks rubber on all the keys, you have shortcuts along the top and it direction pads as well as controls for volume, play pause, track selection etc., the L/R mouse buttons on the left side and near the touchpad. LED indicators show when a key is pressed, low battery and when charging. You get a supplied "mini USB" charging cable I've found the battery to last a good few weeks with daily use, it doesn't take long to top it up via any USB port.

The Mini i8+ feels very comfy in the hands, is light but well made, and does the job perfectly for those looking for a mini all in one keyboard with mouse control. It's certainly to date one of the best mini keyboards I have used. The odd time I found I had to re-hit keys but that was working at the long end of the range, most of the time key presses and the touch pad were responsive.

Any downsides? Well there is no easy way to get to the battery if that ever needs replacing (I will update the review over time if there are any areas to add) Range wise I found it good, close to the quoted max range in the booklet. There is a newer version out with a backlight so if you want that featured I'd go for that model.

Overall I liked using the Rii keyboard it's a great little device that's a must have for anyone with an Android or similar media TV box or who needs a super small keyboard for presentations. Excellent