5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah Carey: A 90's Icon
Published on 14 May 2012 by R. Bosher

3.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense
Well, this is simply the "Greatest Hits" album of 2001, with exactly the same tracklisting, but with a different title and cover. Nonsense!

Published on 14 Mar 2011 by Can Ozdilek

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah Carey: A 90's Icon, 14 May 2012
R. Bosher - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
Okay, I know most people will cringe when they see it and go "Oh great! NOT yet another Greatest Hits CD by Mariah Carey! When she gonna release new material? She's flogging a dead horse!" But it is kinda a mixture of Mariah's other compilations albums (#1's, The Remixes, The Collections) and Mariah's 2001 Greatest Hits albums all rolled in together, yes it's only got Mariah at her highest of her career from the Sony/Columbia Records era, it features 4 of her first 5 #1s (Someday was replaced in this album with her song Vanishing which Sony Records never released but can be found on the "Mariah Carey" album and on both "Playlist: The Very Best Of Mariah Carey"/"The Collection" CDs so it's not an exact replica of Greatest Hits) it also replaces the original 1994 release of Anytime You Need A Friend (off of the 1993 release "Music Box") with the "C&C Club Remix" of the song, it also includes the hip-hop orientated song "The Roof (Back In Time)" but, however it's NOT the same as the one she released on her 1997 album "Butterfly", it is the rap remix which features Mobb Deep & Big Noyd, two other new songs on the album that weren't found on the original Greatest Hits or UK release of "The Essential" both album only singles "Close My Eyes" (found on "Butterfly") and "Bliss" (originally from her 1999 album "Rainbow" and on the Playlist: The Very Best Of Mariah Carey/The Collection album) Disc One consists of songs from 1990-1995 and Disc Two consists of songs from 1996-1999/2000, you can tell the album is a trip down memory lane where you see her change from an R&B singer to a hip-hop mama, you do wish that if they do make an yet another Mariah Carey compilation album what would it be? B Sides/Demos or an ultimate Remix album that features the "Someday" and "There's Got To Be A Way" remixes and other remixes like the reggae remix to "Always Be My Baby" and her "Never Too Far/Hero Medley" and her remixes from her comeback album (and her best album EVER) "The Emancipation Of Mimi", the follow up album "E=MC²" from 2008 and her 2009 album "Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel" album (the "Angels Advocate" album should be re-reconsidered *HINT, HINT*) or an ultimate Greatest Hits which should be a 3 CD release (Disc One the 90's) (Disc Two the 00's) (Disc Three the 10's) but other than that a true R&B fan or Mariah Carey fan would definitely buy this album to add to their Mariah Carey Collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 14 Mar 2011
Can Ozdilek (Ankara, TURKEY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)

If Sony really wants to do something regarding Mariah, that should be another compilation including songs that didn't make to "Greatest Hits" such as 'Never Forget You', 'There's Got to Be a Way', 'Open Arms', 'Breakdown', 'The Roof', 'Crybaby', 'If It's Over (MTV Unplugged)', and most importantly, the original version of 'All I Want for Christmas Is You'.

Also an album of unreleased songs, rarities ('Every Time I Close My Eyes'...) , b-sides ('Do You Think of Me?', 'Slipping Away'...), memorable live performances ('Chain of Fools' with Aretha Franklin, 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' with Olivia Newton-John, 'Hero' with Pavarotti, 'America the Beautiful'...) remixes that weren't included on "The Remixes" ('I Still Believe/Pure Imagination', 'Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) (Morales' Revival Triumphant Mix)', 'Underneath the Stars (Drifting Re-Mix)'...) would be pretty welcome.

But this is just a shame. The same thing has been done to Whitney, too.

Here's an ideal "Greatest Hits" for me, that I listen to on my iPod:

11.When You Believe
12.I Still Believe
13.Heartbreaker
14.Thank God I Found You
15.Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
16.Crybaby
17.Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) (with Westlife)
18.Never Too Far/Hero Medley

And I think it's about time Island/Def Jam release a new compilation album of Mariah like this:

1.Loverboy
18.I Want to Know What Love Is
19.new song

5.0 out of 5 stars For Fans of Old School Mariah - Pure Gold, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
From the moment I heard 'Vision of Love' back in the 1990's, I became a huge Mariah Carey fan. I bought all of her albums from Vision of Love to Butterfly, including the Glitter soundtrack. With the exception of Glitter, (sorry Glitter fans), all of these albums were flawless, track after track.

But after that, I felt like her music changed, along with her image. Don't get me wrong. The music was still great, but it just didn't connect with me overall like her previous work had.This album is Old School Mariah. The Mariah with the innocent face and the long, curly hair. Has all the hits, from 'Vision of Love' to 'I'll be there' to 'Whenever you call' with Brian McKnight.

Brilliant and soooooo worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My review, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
An absolute mega Mariah Carey fan. I know this is her old material but it's Mariah at her best. I had to add it to my collection. Mariah is a legend! Recommend this album to any Mariah mega fan like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential mariahcarey, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
the reason why i have got this CD is to update other CD put i do hope they is a new CD soon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Essential Mariah Carey (Audio CD)
You can't fault a Mariah Carey CD if you are a fan, can you? I bought this for my wife and she loves it. Good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct 2014
MC is one of the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec 2014
Stevie Thoroughgood (Australia) - See all my reviews
She Is A Good Singer

The Essential Mariah Carey
The Essential Mariah Carey by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2011)