4.1 out of 5 stars1,582

on 2 June 2016
Can't listen anything, just popups an annoying Exception #181 message. Useless answer from support which said that my device is incompatible, which is a quite recent android kikat which is working like a charm with Spotify and Deezer.
Please correct, this issue exists since one year now.
on 1 January 2015
Really annoyed that since this new update I cannot download to my Kindle Fire that I bought 12months ago. I buy your device and now you do not support it with this app.
Bad customer care!!!
on 16 December 2013
What's the point of having an Amazon device (kindle fire hd) and not being able to download app. Have cloud on laptop and its brilliant and would love to have it on kindle.
11 comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2015
Amazon prime music drifted across my inbox recently and I took a look. Frankly it seemed almost too good to be true. Having waded through the less than concise documentation I've now added a whole raft of classic albums to my personal account. All for free. Some of these albums I had on vinyl 30 years ago; great to hear them again. Downside (such as it is) is Amazon trying to guess whether I would like Kaiser Chiefs using some bizarre algorithm. Also the list of albums and songs visible changes, or is edited depending which view you are in again presumably because the system is trying to cherry pick your preferred music. I'm not saying it can't, given time and data, but at the startout it might as well let me do it myself. If you know what you are looking for and can get in the right viewing pane there is simply masses of free content so long as you aren't fussed about 'owning' a hard copy. If you are you can choose to buy this in any case. So well done Amazon, almost. Hand-holding a typical user through picking and playing options on some standard devices using necessary apps (PC, Android, Mac) using some relevant graphics would be intelligent, preferably at the expense of the slew of irrelevant eye-catching photolibrary images and waffle. I confess I'm still ill not fully up to speed with all the options to generate my own playlists subcategories, but if your an avid music fan this is clearly a gold mine.
on 14 May 2016
For everyone having problems downloading make sure you are doing it via the Amazon UNDERGROUND app not the regular shopping app. The normal shopping one does not support app download, even though it will lead you down a dead end giving the impression it does. Why Amazon didn't just update the original app rather than split it In 2 is beyond me. I went through merry he'll sorting out prime video because of this ages ago. You download the underground app through the Amazon shopping app not Google play. It's the orange one.
on 16 April 2016
I'm a student and am really enjoying the services provided by Amazon music and the company in general. I've just had problems with my laptop and to rectify it I lost all my programs. Amazon says I already have it so haven't yet figured out how to download it again automatically. My 5 star rating was based to me being able to do that.
on 7 May 2015
What the hell have you done??!! Just purchase a couple of album's, to be told I needed to download this, stupid app. Only to be told, I have no device!? If I have no device, how am I typing this?? Later found the music on my phone, and it won't play there either! I have wasted my hard earned cash. How do I get a refund? From now, I will buy c.d.s..
on 9 November 2013
I first tried this when it came out (in 2012?) and it was completely useless as it failed to play back any of my Amazon UK mp3 purchases. I uninstalled it. Recently Amazon started the AutoRip service and as I'm a regular CD purchaser several of my purchased albums appeared in my Cloud Player account so I tried the amazon app again. It is much improved and now works really well. It plays all the music I've bought and displays the cover art and tag info very clearly. It also plays locally stored files. I noticed that the app can't do gapless playback.

I can see how this could be very useful on devices with fixed storage but my device has a microSD slot so it's not quite so compelling. The inability to play gapless music properly makes it less than ideal.

edit: July 2014. I now have this same app on a Galaxy Note running Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). It still works the same but despite this newer version of Android having built-in support for gapless playback the Amazon app still doesn't manage it, not even for files on the device. Other music players do play gapless now so this has become a more notable deficiency. Also as disk capacity and network speeds and coverage improved I don't really need compressed music stored on Amazon's servers. Anywhere I have WiFi or 3G I can listen to the music stored on my own hardware back at home, lossless if it's a good connection or compressed if not. This leaves Amazon Music as a kind of glorified streamer/downloader for mp3 versions I don't want of CDs I already bought and ripped myself. I think Amazon ought to offer the tracks in better formats such as m4a and flac, with gapless playback enabled.

This app has started to look a bit dated and low quality next to Apple's offerings and in some ways not even that great compared to what you can do for yourself with your own PC and a cheap broadband account.
on 4 June 2016
Had Prime membership for several months before jumping in and trying the music service. As a freebie included with Prime, it's not bad - contains a good selection of music across many different genres; as a standalone music service, I don't think it quite ticks all the boxes. Although there's a wide selection of music, the library is still quite limited - search for an artist and it is usually hit and miss that you'll find something from them directly - often you'll be served a selection of covers - although it is quite different to listen to Oasis as played by a string quartet!
The app itself could do with some tweaking and fine tuning - it's not particularly user-friendly in the current layout.
That being said, it is free and there's no adverts - so beats listening to music through Youtube!
on 12 April 2016
When the service first launched it was an OK freebie with limited selection and an average mobile app. Since then the library has expanded and the app improved no end. New functionality includes radio stations (tailored to your preferences), curated playlists, recommendations and much more.
Unfortunately the song selection is still quite limited compared to say Spotify, but the audio quality is excellent and the x-ray lyrics are brilliant and quite widely supported. I also like I can add my own MP3s to my cloud library and access it from the same app, therefore plugging the holes in the song selection.

If the app keeps progressing at this rate, it’ll be a real contender in no time. If they can expand the catalogue that is.