4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving product picture but good price at the moment
Hi,

I am writing this review to clarify something about this cartridge model as the photo is a bit deceiving so I have done some research to avoid doing the same mistake in the future or at least confirm I know what I am buying.

Published on 5 Nov 2011 by Redleh

3.0 out of 5 stars Missleading advert
Even though the packaing says 364XL there are in fact 2 products called 364XL for black ink - one gives 550 pages and the other 750 pages - this large one is called 364XL (HIGH CAPACITY)
Published on 19 Jun 2011 by Dandylion

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving product picture but good price at the moment, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: HP CN684EE#301 - INK CARTRIDGE NO 364 XL - BLACK BLISTER (Electronics)
Hi,

1. It is not the same size as in the picture, it is half the width, similar to the normal cartridge but with more ink. In fairness to whoever is selling this cartdrige with the wrong picture, the HP website also shows this picture.

2. It does say XL in the box and on the cartdrige but this model is the CN684EE ABB (550 pages) that replaced the original XL high capacity (big cartridge, 800 pages) model CB321EE, which funny enough some sites show with a small picture just to make it even more confusing :).

3. I found one of those refurbished ink sellers answering a lot of questions about this cartridge,[...]
or just search somewhere for "New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges" to get the HP official version and to understand more about the changes.

4.Very hard to find how many ml this CN684EE has, one site said it was 12ml. The original XL CB321EE seems to have 18ml and many refurbished cartdriges also have 18ml. I have bought one 18ml refurbished cartridge previously and it did really felt that it run for a long time compared to previous HP cartridges so from now on I will be looking for 18ml versions and test around different manufacturers until I find the "best".

I did not give it 5 stars because of the picture (it led me to think it was the bigger model, I guess too good of a price to be true) but gave it 4 because it is still an official HP XL cartridge, arrived fast and in a good condition with original packaging, the price at the moment was better compared to other sites but it would be nice to if the page had extra details explaining more about the ink and if the photo was accurate.

Hope it helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missleading advert, 19 Jun 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Product description & photograph do not match, 7 April 2011
This item is shown as producing 550 pages but the photograph shows the Photosmart box with 3x number of pages which equals 800 pages according to HP.

As an update I have been in contact with HP and they confirm that the larger XL black cartridge has been discontinued and the smaller version is now the current one. The other point to note is that the standard cartridge produces 250 pages, the XL black produces 550 pages, and the skinny XL coloured cartridges 750 pages. If I work it out correctly you need three of the new cartridges to produce just 50 pages more of the two of the old XL product. As a previous report says HP justify what has happened by pointing out that there is no additional cost per page forgetting that additional cartridges are an AN ABSOLUTE PAIN!

I suppose the answer is then when you replace your printer go to another manufacturer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Print Quality, 17 April 2011
I only trust genuine HP cartridges after mishaps over the years with alternatives which often are not that much cheaper in the long term. The 364 range give excellent performance, print quality and durability. Photos do not fade as with other inks and documents look crisp and smudge free. I use mine in the photosmart c309g. Amazon is always best for price especially on marketplace.

2.0 out of 5 stars HP Downsize Capacity of 364XL Black Cartridge, 26 April 2011
SussexWasp (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
As normal, the service from Amazon was great, the cartridges were ordered the Thursday before Easter and despite there being 2 bank holidays I received delivery the following Tuesday.

However, I'm less impressed with HP. The old XL cartridge contained sufficient ink for approx. 800 pages, the new version only has ink for 550 pages. The price per page for the 3 types of standard black 364 cartridges work out at:

1. Standard 364 cartridge, 250 pages, £0.025 per page.

2. New 364 XL, 550 pages, £0.023 per page

3. Old 364 XL, 800 pages, £0.024 per page.

Although the new XL cartridge has the lowest price per page, it will need replacing on a more regular basis which is a pain that I could do without.

1.0 out of 5 stars rip-off, 27 May 2011
you dont get the cartridge in the picture . One delivered is half as wide ( same width as standard colour cartridge ) and prints less pages .

2.0 out of 5 stars I doubt it, 16 May 2011
Mr. I. C. Lee - See all my reviews
Does it really print 500-ish pages? I really doubt it. I am using B110A. Through out my University study, I keep buying this (550 Pages) every 3 months. Interestingly, I am still using the same pack of 500 Pages A4 paper.

3.0 out of 5 stars HP have downsized the cartridge size, 19 Jan 2012
Johnmcl7 "John" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
There's a few reviews pointing this out already but I thought I should add my own to make sure people are aware of this, HP have changed the 364XL cartridge black so it's now smaller giving you 550 pages instead of the 800 the older one used to give. Physically it looks the same size as the existing cartridges and unfortunately there's not been much of a price drop to reflect the reduced quantity.

I feel rather stupid as I've been conversing with Amazon customer service recently regarding a 'faulty' 364XL cartridge, Amazon themselves don't seem to be aware of the switch as they never mentioned it and they still have the wrong picture advertised. I thought that there must have been an error with HP packing the cartridges and given them the wrong label but clearly now it's an intentional change. It's irritating as the original 364XL cartridges lasted a decent amount of time and were a good reason to buy the HP printer in the first place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete deception, 4 Jan 2012
Dr Gautam Sen "Tilak" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Only printed 175+ draft quality double-spaced pages, not the 550 advertised, perhaps a line a page is what HP has in mind!! Is the world now run entirely by thieving big companies?!
HP 364XL Black Ink Cartridge (550 Pages)

I am now getting an error message from HP and I am printing my response to it.

HP software on my computer is identifying the cartridge as counterfeit although it was bought directly from Amazon.co. uk itself. The last one bought from Amazon.co.uk only printed 175 or so draft quality pages, but Amazon was the direct seller, not a third party.
I am happy to participate in any investigation and retain the old cartridge and the new as well as its packaging.
REAL CROOKS, STILL SELLING OVERPRICED RUBBISH, MUCH LIKE THE OTHER BIG TIME TAX EVADERS FROM THE US. HP XL 364 DOES NOT PRING 550 PAGES, EVEN OF DRAFT QUALITY, LEAVE ALONE THE SUGGESTED 800. IT WILL PRINT NO MORE THAN 175+

2.0 out of 5 stars INCORRECT PICTURE, 24 Jun 2011
The printer cartridge received was not the the same as the one advertised. I received a thin 364XL cartridge but the picture advertised was of a thick one.

HP CN684EE#301 - INK CARTRIDGE NO 364 XL - BLACK BLISTER