2,749 Reviews
 (1,492)

4.0 out of 5 stars Could this be more confusing?
Well, after about 3 hours of trying to research which cartridge I should buy, (having read the reviews), I think I have finally got it.

There are 2 x Black 364XL cartridges and there are some unique differences. Don't be folled by the colour of the box as these do vary, however if you follow the steps below you should find the correct "XL" cartridge...
Published on 1 Aug 2010 by S. Wilkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Check which 364XL you are ordering!
Published on 20 Feb 2011 by J C Prescott

3.0 out of 5 stars Check which 364XL you are ordering!, 20 Feb 2011
As others have noted, there appear to be 3 different types of HP 364XL black ink cartridge: CB321EE (800 pages); CN684EE (550 pages); CB322EE (photo ink). Armed with this knowledge from other useful Amazon reviews, I checked carefully that the item advertised and paid for was CB321EE. However, it was a CN684EE that arrived. After contacting the vendor they promptly refunded the 8.18 difference between what I had paid and the market value of the product I had actually received (gleaned from adverts for the lower capacity cartridge on Amazon). Clearly this ridiculous labelling system by HP is open to confusion and, potentially, mis-selling. I believe that HP should name the cartridges better to highlight the differences and that Amazon should insist on unambiguous advertising of which model is being sold via their website. Although disappointed to receive a lower capacity product than the one I ordered, I am heartened by the prompt response of the vendor in refunding the difference. The moral of the story: until HP improve their labelling, check carefully the precise product you are about to order; on receipt check that it is actually the one you ordered; if it isn't, contact the vendor immediately with a clear statement of what you want to happen, ie exchange, return or refund of difference. Finally, as others will have discovered before me, some apparently sexy and excellent value printers turn out to be very expensive if the ink doesn't last 2 minutes and cartridges are dear. I fear my HP Photosmart Plus falls into this category. Next time I replace my printer I will also compare prices of replacement ink before committing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could this be more confusing?, 1 Aug 2010
S. Wilkinson (England) - See all my reviews

Part Number CB321EE: This cartridge is normal black. It looks thicker than the lower capacity black cartridge and is also thicker than the XL photo black. It also has a solid black "Pentagon" printed above the number. For my own printer, which is a B109n model, this is the correct one and looking above the slot where the cartidge fits into my printer, there is also a solid Black Pentagon. Also for reference, my own printer does not take seperate black cartridges for both photo and normal printing, ie, there is only a single slot for black.

Part Number CB322EE: This cartridge is for Photo Printing. Is is a thinner cartridge than the one above and is also the same thickness as the lower capacity "normal" black cartridge. This is a concern and is very confusing un less you know the differences. The main identifying point is that whereas the normal XL has a Pentagon on the front, this photo XL cartridge has a solid "Bow Tie" symbol on the front. It also has a picture of a camera on the packaging. I can only assume that this will not fit into my own printer due to the lack of this symbol around my cartridge housing.

Hopefully this will be of some use to somebody.

1.0 out of 5 stars disgrace, 11 Mar 2011
E. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
It has been brought to our attention that HP have actually changed the capacity of the cartridge, under the same product code, the old one was an 800 page yield and the newer one is a 550 page yield. What a disgrace to do this without telling people who order & pay for the 800 page one & only receive the 550. and be 11 out of pocket

5.0 out of 5 stars SO PLEASED WITH AMAZON, 15 Feb 2012
A lot of previous reviewers have had problems with these cartridges - for example, slow delivery, suspect authenticity, suspected re-filled cartridges, out of date stock and so on. One common denominator seems to be that they have bought them from third party suppliers trading through Amazon market place. I bought mine directly from Amazon and I'm pleased I did. They were genuine HP. They were new stock with a long expiry date (December 2013). They came with lightening speed. And, at the time I bought them, they were the cheapest on line anywhere. For the record (and after a bit of research) the capacity of the different sizes of HP 364 cartridges are as follows: standard black 6ml (250 pages); standard colour 3ml (300 pages); XL black 13ml (550 pages); XL colours 6ml 750 pages). I have no reason to think this combo pack contains anything less than the standard size cartridges

1.0 out of 5 stars All wrong !!, 25 May 2011
The cartridges delivered are not the ones ordered or pictured. They are a newer model with a reduced capacity. I could have got them cheaper elsewhere. I have been conned.
The older cartridges were good for 800 pages with the new ones I will be lucky to get 600. Buyer Beware!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly listed as 800 page larger cartridge but smaller one sent, 23 April 2011
Momma Mia (Aylesbury, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although this Amazon page clearly states that this is the larger 800 page cartridge, RL Supplies Ltd sent the smaller 500 page cartridge - a nice little earner for them!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and value for money, 27 Jun 2011
J. Walls - See all my reviews
In this pack you get 3 ink cartridges (Cyan, Magenta & Yellow) and also 85 sheets of HP photo paper.

A few things to note:
- The ink cartridges are for printers that take HP 364 inks.
- There is no black in the pack (also some HP printers need black and photo black, as mentioned neither are included)
- The photo shows that you get 100 sheets of photo paper, but you actually get 85 and mentioned in the description.
- The paper is 4 x 6 inches (10 x 15 cm)

I received genuine sealed ink that was in date, and genuine good quality sealed photo paper, this is amazing value for money, you basically get the paper for free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missleading advert, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: HP 364XL Black Ink Cartridge (550 Pages) (Office Product)
Even though the packaing says 364XL there are in fact 2 products called 364XL for black ink - one gives 550 pages and the other 750 pages - this large one is called 364XL (HIGH CAPACITY)

4.0 out of 5 stars Check which type of black you need., 3 Feb 2010
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
NOTE I HAVE HAD TO EDIT THIS REVIEW AS AMAZON HAD COPIED IT TO BOTH VERSIONS OF THE BLACK CARTRIDGE MAKING THE INFO I ORIGINALLY PROVIDED INCORRECT
An excellent replacement cartridge with about 2.5 times the life of the 364 version. But be careful that you only get it for a printer that uses seperate photo and normal black inks otherwise it will not fit or work.
To save confusion the ordinary black HP number CB321EE is twice the thickness of the standard photo one. The photo black one is HP number CB322EE.
EDIT The ordinary black double thickness one has been discontinued and although the XL version is greater capacity than the standard one it is about 200 pages shorter and indeed cheaper than the old one. I have edited this review as Amazon tend to copy to the wrong product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving product picture but good price at the moment, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: HP 364XL Black Ink Cartridge (550 Pages) (Office Product)
Hi,

I am writing this review to clarify something about this cartridge model as the photo is a bit deceiving so I have done some research to avoid doing the same mistake in the future or at least confirm I know what I am buying.

1. It is not the same size as in the picture, it is half the width, similar to the normal cartridge but with more ink. In fairness to whoever is selling this cartdrige with the wrong picture, the HP website also shows this picture.

2. It does say XL in the box and on the cartdrige but this model is the CN684EE ABB (550 pages) that replaced the original XL high capacity (big cartridge, 800 pages) model CB321EE, which funny enough some sites show with a small picture just to make it even more confusing :).

3. I found one of those refurbished ink sellers answering a lot of questions about this cartridge,[...]
or just search somewhere for "New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges" to get the HP official version and to understand more about the changes.

4.Very hard to find how many ml this CN684EE has, one site said it was 12ml. The original XL CB321EE seems to have 18ml and many refurbished cartdriges also have 18ml. I have bought one 18ml refurbished cartridge previously and it did really felt that it run for a long time compared to previous HP cartridges so from now on I will be looking for 18ml versions and test around different manufacturers until I find the "best".

I did not give it 5 stars because of the picture (it led me to think it was the bigger model, I guess too good of a price to be true) but gave it 4 because it is still an official HP XL cartridge, arrived fast and in a good condition with original packaging, the price at the moment was better compared to other sites but it would be nice to if the page had extra details explaining more about the ink and if the photo was accurate.

Hope it helps.