5.0 out of 5 stars Duff Delivers AGAIN!?!?!, 18 April 2011
J. Arthur "Axl" (U.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Taking (Audio CD)
Without a doubt this is easily as good or let alone better then Loaded's excellent debut album Sick which for me personally had some of Duffs best songs in his career along side Velvet Revolver and Guns N Roses. But this album proves that you never lose your talent and leaves me delighted and surprised. I thought as i rushed to the shop and put the disc in the car CD player that it would be Sick part 2 but how wrong I was. There a lot of strong tracks and as a whole is a album worth getting I really don't understand that if you like total rock music why you have not got this along side the bands first album. The Taking is a tad darker and based on reflection like the songs King of the World (Reflecting on the dark days of Guns N Roses talking about the Drugs,Drink and runaway ego's) also the track called Cocaine (About Duffs long live struggle with his demons. One track that may surprise you is a track called Executioner's Song (about government corruption).

This album is a realistic and honest view on life and how it can be horrible for different reasons. This is defiantly my best album new album of the year so far. But plenty other bands are releasing albums and i can easily say this will stand the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duff hits the spot, 11 May 2011
This review is from: The Taking (Audio CD)
A great follow up to Sick, a punk inspired hard rock album with a good sprinkling of punky pop for good measure. Even if the first track isn't your cup of tea there will be something for most people who appreciate rock on the album.

The lyrics aren't meaningless drivel like so much new music they cover different themes and thoughts, experience Duff's honesty about his experiences in Cocaine, feelings on democracy and war in Executioners Song, sense his relationship frustrations in the uplifting Dead Skin (trust me on this - the chorus soars!).

Other notable songs include We Win (Upbeat), She's An Anchor, Indian Summer, Wrecking Ball - blimey that's most of them. Better go and buy it then...

4.0 out of 5 stars More punk that metal, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Taking (Audio CD)
This album is worth buying for your collection especially if you like punk mixed with a big hint of heavy rock.

I like the album and enjoy it more each time I play it but I will say that Duff is not the best vocalist on a studio album and that is the drawback to this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Taking (Audio CD)
I have to hand it to duff the guy is a genious. This is now probably one of my all time favourite albums, even right up there with appetite for destruction. Duffs voice is very punk and the style of music is very punk/heavy in many ways plus similar to guns n roses aswell.
Lords of Abbadon - what a start to an album!
Executioners song - highlights just how good the guitarests are in the band
dead skin - best of duffs vocals
cocaine - this is my fav track on the album although the intstrumental version is also brilliant!
had the privilege to see these guys live in glasgow were amazing live! would reccomend them to all guns n roses fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Duff, 1 May 2011
This review is from: The Taking (Audio CD)
This is a great album - I like music that makes me feel alive, and this album hits the spot & I'm sure it will for many years to come. Particular favourites are Executioner's Song, Cocaine & Lords of Abbadon. Overall, its pretty dark and heavy, but Indian Summer & We Win have a lighter feel about them. I'm lovin' it!!

The Taking
The Taking by Duff Mckagan's Loaded (Audio CD - 2011)