4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FIRST BOOK!!!
Cynthia is a PI bored with the normal jobs she is getting since quitting the police force.
She saves a vampire just before she leaves and since then has done odd jobs for him.
Raphael is a vamppire lord whos had a member of his `family` kidnapped and wants Cyn to help get her back and find the infiltrators in his organisation.

I am an avid reader of...
Published on 20 May 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Vamp heaven
Really enjoyed the action, the strong female lead and the tense romantic undercurrent between the lead characters. Would to like to buy more of these books not sure if the price it right though.
Published 5 months ago by Fran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FIRST BOOK!!!, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Raphael: Volume 1 (Paperback)

I am an avid reader of all things vampire and urban legend and really enjoyed this first novel by D B Reynolds.
It was action packed, sexy with plenty of what I call starter info to help with learning about the characters and really easy to read.

Both Raphael and Cyn are cynical, isolated individuals that are unwillingly drawn to each other.

Be warned though this is an ongoing saga with Cyn and Raphael so there is no HEA as yet the next book should be out in July called `Jabril` and I cant wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Debut, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Raphael: Volume 1 (Paperback)
It started a little slow...but once I managed to get into the book, I was not able to put it down.

A private investigator Cyn, is called in to work on a case of a kidnapped vampire. Cynthia is from a rich family background and does not need to work due an inheritance from her father. She is disconnected with society and prefers to work alone. Raphael is a Lord Vampire running an empire, he believe he knows who kidnapped Alexandra but needs a lead from the humans involved to track the traitors. This is not a standalone book and you know that there is going to a series...that is my only irritation with the book, the story is not finished....

5.0 out of 5 stars Raphael - this vampire is HOT!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really like reading adult vampire fiction, there is something about the thought of vampire/human joining that is so very sexy. This book introduces us to Cynthia's world, she is an ex-cop turned P.I who the vampire Lord Raphael hires to find his missing Alexandra.

Cynthia has very few friends and was raised by nannys in her affluent home so she dosen't really play well with others, she 'talks the talk' and 'walks the walk' in her professional and personal life, preferring to keep emotion at a distance.

Raphael is intrigued by Cynthia, she's obviously good at her job but he also finds her emotional barriers intriguing.

As Cynthia delves deeper into Raphael's world she struggles with the undeniable attraction she feels for this sexy vampire and they both try to solve the mystery of what happenned to Alexandra.

I have just taken a break whilst reading the second instalment of this series to write this review - so far, so very good. This first book concluded the immediate story very well but left the continuation of Cyn and Raphael's obvious growing bond, which I must get back to.....................

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good new author, please spread the word!, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really like this new series of books from DB Reynolds, paranormal/urban fantasy romance.
The first
Raphael, is not by favourite, I really liked Rajmund and am part way through Duncan, who is my favourite character.

The only drawback is the price £11 is expensive but I assume that this is because it is a small US publisher.

The other reviews go into detail so I won't but other authors I really like include Lara Adrian, JR Ward, Cynthia Eden, so if you like those books, you should love DB Reynolds!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better vampire books..., 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Raphael is part 1 of 2 of his and Cyn’s romance, after one of his own is kidnapped with human help he calls in Cyn to investigate. The vampires in this series live by a strict code and human behaviour seems odd and cannot be understood by Raphael, hence his need for a human perspective. Raphael is a very in-depth and descriptive book and will take you about a day to read.

Raphael is one of the most powerful vampires in American and rules his world with an iron fist, he gets what he wants and when he wants it and is challenged by no one. Cyn is a PI who works for humans as well as vampires and has major commit issues due being continually abandoned during childhood; she is feisty and is willing to put a vampire lord in his place.

I enjoyed both leads and was impressed by the storyline, Raphael was serious and yet funny in a distant way but you could feel the testosterone coming out the pages, and Cyn would not be put on the back burner just because she was human and while some situation she got in were her own fault trying to prove herself, you cannot help but cheer her on to wipe that smug smile off Raphael’s face.

This book was fast paced and the sex scenes just jumped off the page, I particularly enjoyed how Cyn did not just fall into bed with Raphael even though they had amazing chemistry and when they do come together it’s when they are both venerable and is fitting. I would recommend this book to any vampire romance fans and it will remain one of my favourites.

If you are looking or similar books I would recommend “Once Burned” by Jeaniene Frost

5.0 out of 5 stars Raphael Review, 23 Jan. 2014
Evampire (Gonzales, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The first book in the Vampires in America series is an action packed vampire romance.

A powerful Vampire Lord, Raphael holds the power of life and death over every vampire in existence but must turn to a human private investigator when someone kidnaps a female that he cares for in a brazen and deadly daylight attack. A private investigator and former cop, Cynthia Leighton, takes on the case, but soon realizes that the greatest danger to her comes from Raphael himself. Betrayed by those they trusted, Raphael and Cyn fight for the lives against Russian mobsters and treacherous vampires while caught up in a passion of blood and violence.

This fast paced plot keeps the reader on the edge of their seat with lots of action, suspense and romance. The story comes to life with vivid images that makes the reader feel as if they are part of the story and the bewitching characters have strong charismatic personalities that practically leap off the pages ensuring that the reader is totally caught up in the story.

The chemisty between Raphael and Cyn explodes from the pages and the sex scenes are hot and steamy leaving the reader's sizzling with passion. The reader can easily relate to the characters and understand their motivations, while they resist the romance for their own personal reasons and issues, the tension builds and they can't fight it indefinitely.

This vampire world captures the imagination with great characters and I love how the author has mixed the human and vampire worlds, yet kept them apart at the same time, which adds some interesting elements to the story. I wasn't too happy with the ending of the book, such a cliffhanger, but of course I will certainly be reading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Vamp book! Must Read for Vamp lovers :), 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 unicorns - I loved it!!
***Received ebook through Netgalley for an honest review

The cover was redone, and I love the facelift. Let's just say the eye candy is yummy :) Definitely makes me take notice of the book :)

The book started a little slow as some first books do while building the world for us, but in no time at all, there was all sorts of action. I have a few books that were realistic fiction, so I had to have a paranormal fix and chose this one because I needed a good vamp book. D.B. also challenged my vocabulary in this book, so I had to break out my Google to learn some new words :)

Okay this is totally an adult book with several very steamy scenes that wow is all I can say :) Cynthia or Cyn as she is fondly called is an amazing woman who fits into my warrior category who doesn't sit on the sidelines like a damsel in distress. She definitely has issues thinking she is always unwanted because of her upbringing.

Raphael, hmmm what can I say about him. At first, I think I hated him for his arrogance and dictator like rule, but things happened and then BAM I loved him and wanted him for my own ;)

Watching Cyn and Raphael is infuriating and comical at times, but you can read the book to get more details. This book has intrigue, betrayal, lust, battles, and so much more. I can't wait to read book 2 :) Then I'm going to have to invest in the rest of the series because I won't be able to not read it.

If you are a paranormal vamp book lover, you must read this book. LOVED IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A first for everything!!, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As an avid fan of this type of genre I have read a number of books but have to say this is the first book I've read where it hasn't ended as you would expect with... ***SPOILER****

The guy landing the girl!!
After reading the black dagger brotherhood series from the wonderfully talented JR. Ward I've really struggled to find a story of this genre that's been so well written it actually holds its on against Ward's work. It's not an easy task as I am in love with those bad bast**ds but considering I'm writing a review (something I have never done before) after only reading the very first of this series should indicate to you how well it did on my scale. I'm not the easiest person to please particularly when it comes to the whole vampire lore as I think some of it is quite naff tbh so I appreciated the reality of this book and the mingling of the modern world. I think it could have done with a bit more talking about emotions and stuff between the characters, it does a wonderful in-depth monologue but you can't help think 'how are you gonna get over that if you guys don't share some feels?!' But apart from that I enjoyed it very much. If people like this series I would recommend Sylvia Day's renegade angel series. Got a similar feel with lords and underlings but very enjoyable as I'm sure the rest of this series will be and I cannot wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars great start to what i think looks a great series -heres hoping!, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
i think I'm going to like this series.

This book follows "lord Raphael", Vampire and rules a massive expance of land and buisness (see map above).
We begin the story with a kidnapping of a vampire of Raphaels, and private investigator Cynthia is hired to help find Alexandra, the kidnapped.

Yes, its a vampire story. Theres baddies, goodies, romance, action and its a brilliant read!

After reading about shifters for a while, i fancied going back to vamps and I'm glad i picked this series up.

The ending isn't as you expect....its left wide open for the next book and even then, the uncertainty is still there....

Cynthia is human, used to be in the LAPD but turned PI. She is aware of the vampire society - a secret that is known but rarely spoke about- as if not speaking about it means they don't exist! Shes a tough cookie is Cyn, but shes also female and cannot deny the gorgeousness that is Raphael, but refuses to give into him, knowing that countless women fall at his feet.... this brings the saying to mind "keep em mean, keep em keen"!!!!

I think the next book will show Raphael showing up again, but as a side story and not the main like he is here.

Second book is already picked up and being read....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Raphael: Volume 1 (Paperback)
Book one in the Vampires in America series. I wasn't too keen on Cyn as a lead character but I loved Raphael and I loved the story so I could put that in the back of my head.
The story was good and the characters are likeable. I especially like Duncan and I believe he has his own books coming so I'm looking forward to that.
DB Reynolds vampires are strong, powerful and gorgeous! I'd like them to actually fight more, the fight scenes are more a pushing of power between the vampires and I can't help but have a mental image of two vampires just standing there. I know that's probably not what DB Reynolds had in mind when she wrote the scenes but it's how my mind apparently wants to see them. I tried to fix that in later books and I'm slowly training my mind to see it better.

A definite must read for all vampire fans out there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1)