5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV regardless of price
I bought this from [...] for [...] and the product is labelled kv500 (same thing)

Aesthetics;

Published on 12 Jan 2011 by S. Patel

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better...
Published on 30 April 2011 by Murray Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better..., 30 April 2011
Murray Brown (Port Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba 32BV500B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
With the picture resolution being 1366 x 768, this television is not fully HD. As a result, picture is not as crisp as other televisions of similar price. If you are looking for a good value television with good picture quality, this model is in that category. However, why settle for second best when there are other televisions with higher specs for the same price/cheaper? Having seen this model on Amazon's 'deals of the week', with the average customer rating being high and considering the price, I hastely bought it thinking I had netted a bargain. However it has been brought to my attention that there are better TVs on the market which are within the same price bracket. I came across the LG 32LD450, a superior model regarding looks (a much slimmer frame), weight (3.2kg lighter) and resolution (1920 x 1080p), not to mention it's a whopping 27 pence cheaper...
I am not saying this Toshiba model is a bad piece of machinery, it is 10 times better than my last tv, but if i could rewind time I would have chosen the LG, in my opinion it's better value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV regardless of price, 12 Jan 2011
S. Patel - See all my reviews

Aesthetics;

The frame of the TV is really wide, just shy of 2 inchs on the sides and top and 3 inchs at the bottom, it has a gloss finish. the bottom has "Toshiba" written in silver and below that is a silver line from one end to the other (cuts off just shy of the ends (1cm gap)). There is a tiny white light under this line in the centre, it glows a dull white when in stand-by and it is not distracting and I like it. There are touch screen keys at the bottom; volume, program, source and power, not only do they look good they are really responsive and easy to use and have a click sound when touched, I am not a fan of touch screen buttons but I actually enjoy using these, really I enjoy it.
The base is nice, but a bit big I'd say. It is 50cm long, not a problem for me but might be for others.
If you are considering a wall mounted TV I'd suggest not to go for this one. Although I can't fault it's aesthetics from the sides, it is a bit big and wouldn't look so good, it is 9cm deep, so add another 3cm for cables. If you want a wall mounted TV look into LED TVs.

The remote!! my god this is butt ugly (google - RC-3910). The buttons are rubber and the back is that rubbery plastic material. Everything is square and straight edged, only mute, power and ok are circle buttons. It is extremely hard to get used to the button layout as everything is square and in a similar layout, I like to use remotes without looking but this remote makes that near impossible.

Display:
My version is the KV500 (BV500) and is a 720p version. I use the TV for regular freeview, PC and PS3. Regular TV is good quality, the colours look real and the detail is really good. The PS3 plays amazingly well, I play battlefield badcompany 2, a FPS, and the quality is amazing. This TV is 50hz, and even though it is said that it shouldn't be great for games, it is, maybe I'd have a different opinion if I had a 100hz TV but I can't complain with the picture I get. The actual colour and picture displayed is perfect, I've played this game on 3 different TV's one being a 1080p LG and I couldn't set up the picture properly, the problem being that I couldn't see my enemies at all pretty much, this TV was perfect, I didn't have to change a thing from the preset settings.
Using this TV as a monitor gives me a 1cm thick black border, but it's a 32 inch tv so I'm not that bothered but some people may not like it. The correct settings are "HDTV - 768p"/"1366x768" or if you don't have those settings "HDTV - 720p" or "1360x768". To set your resolution use your graphics cards controls not windows, ie. nVidia or ATI.

Connectivity:
2x HDMI
Composite
Scart component
Scart
VGA
USB - Can recharge a ps3 controller lol!!!
PCi Card?
Headphones

The HDMI inputs are not automatically detected. You have to switch each time you want to switch, this required pressing source then selecting the connection, or if you want to go to TV just change the channel.
The USB does play videos.
Headphones is where you can plug in speakers.

Interface/functions:
Links are to image shack and contain nothing other than a picture.
[...]

The interface is ok, easy to use.
1 thing I hate is that if you have speakers (connected to headphones socket) like me, you CANNOT control the volume from normal volume, you have to go in to the menu > sound > headphones, doesn't affect the PC volume because I can control that through the PC but the PS3 and TV is where you have to do this.
The controls for the USB are very simple, you have play, forward and rewind at different speeds, would have liked to see a scene selection being at intervals of minutes or something.
The sleep function goes up in 10 minutes and upto 2 hours.
The EPG doesn't look nice, but is easy to use and offers reminders. The menu on DTV offers "timer" which lets you set the TV to turn to a show at certain times and durations and this can be set daily or weekly.

If you press the "ok" button on a HDMI screen it will "freeze" the screen, pressing again will unfreeze. I like this feature, it acts as a lock because no-one else will know :p

Overall

Pros;
Looks,
Preset display modes,
connectivity,
Game play,
USB plays videos.
USB recharges a PS3 controller.
Even though I use speakers, the normal speakers aren't that bad for TV speakers, they are flat but compared to other TVs they are very similar,
Good quality image.

Cons;
Headphones can't be controlled through normal volume,
Dull looking interface,
Size of frame,
Remote... the remote dammit.
None Auto switching for HD inputs.

Lol so happy that this can recharge my ps3 controller that I edited.

Glad this was useful to most people, if you would like any info give a reply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Telly, 4 April 2011
This television is super. It was delivered very quickly, and was easy to set up and get going. The Instructions are easy to follow, and the channel searching was painless. I have linked up my dvd player and digital freeview box, and they work perfectly. It has two hdmi inputs and one scart socket, so you may need to get a scart splitter if you have two scart inputs.

Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV at an Excellent price - well done Amazon, 20 Feb 2011
I bought this TV and Amazon delivered it free to Spain for me.

Very easy to set up, excellent picture and very nice looking TV, just the right size for my living room.

I use the usb/avi function a lot, and the menu is much better than my standalone avi player. It loses a star as it plays most of my files, but not all, but then my avi player never played all so it;s not a problem. It plays files from folders within folders which is great.

I would recommend this TV. A great price, and great service from Amazon/

The remote is fine too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars toshiba 32BV500B, 15 Feb 2011
This tv is great. The first flat screen and HD ready set I have had and I've no complaints about the picture or sound or overall appearance of the tv. I've got a Sky HD+ box connected to it and a DVD player too. The set was delivered the day after I ordered it-thanks Amazon- and everything is just perfect!!

5.0 out of 5 stars just what i was missing in my life, 12 Feb 2011
Mr. Ag Edens "anthony edens" (manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
buying this from amazon, i panicked a bit in case i needed any help setting up - i'm a bit of a ludite - but needn't have worried - it was all very straight forward

great picture and also gives me the option of playing films etc through my laptop and off a memory stick or similar device - very pleased

oh and great value for money as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb TV, 18 Jun 2011
This is my first HD Free view TV I have bought and I am totally over the moon with it, A big difference from my normal old TVs the picture and sound quality are beautiful crystal clear and brings the film to life more..Brilliant TV and will be buying more for my other rooms as All my TVs need upgrading since the switch over, I Would highly recommend this TV to my friends I have already recomended it to my family, So easy to set up. Could not ask for better and delivery was very fast. Thanku Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant tv!, 28 Feb 2011
this tv was recommended by a friend and she was right! It is a great buy,good size to the screen,clear picture and great value for money. A perfect buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor (for me anyway), 31 May 2011
I Had high hopes for this TV, the brand and the price were just what I was looking for. Those hopes were dashed however when after receiving the TV I found the picture quality poor, and the sound weak when compared to my old Tv, a Sony Bravia KDL32s300 which is on its last legs.

The picture, when a HDMI source is selected, produced a grainy/spotted outline to both people and objects, most noticeably lettering or straight edges. My Xbox360 *should* look fantastic on a HD screen and it does on my old TV, but not on this model. Same goes for my HTPC, the picture quality on HD and SD programmes looked very poor, with a 'ghosting' of sorts from a distance and a specklely aura when close up.

It is a shame, and it was with a heavy heart I had to send it back, and received from Amazon a replacement very quickly. Unfortunately it had the same 'fault' and looked bad again.

I will send this back and upgrade to a more expensive model.

2 stars for the tv - price and simplicity, and i will give 4 stars to Amazon for customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value TV, 28 May 2011
Rozzy (Bacup, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The TV arrived with the stand already attached so no fiddling around fixing the stand and it set itself up in a few minutes

Absoulutely no problems with it whatsoever everything works as it should do. I hope to have a reliable telly which will last a good few years.

A few people have mentioned that the picture is small with a black band all around when they connect a computer using the HDMI lead. I had this problem and spoke to the technical support at Toshiba and the nice man told me how to fix it. If you right-click on any part of the desktop on your computer then go to screen resolution you can adjust it down until the picture fits. Magic. I noticed that the edges didn't quite show when I did this, it seemed just that bit too big but if you go to the menu on the TV (while the computer is connected to the TV,) you will see a full mode option which, if you turn it to ON will fix this problem and the screen size should be perfect.

Just one thing though. Our last TV was a panasonic, Cost a lot of money and had to have several repairs during it's life so we decided not to get another and go for a Tosh instead. The picture and sound are not as good as our old one, We've had it about a month now and have got used to it but the difference was really noticable at first. Still can't get it to sound quite right for us so we are buying a home theatre system to hopefully get the sound we like. Mmm May have been better to get a more expensive TV.

I don't want to "knock" it too much, it's a good telly for the price, I'll be happy to keep this one for as long as it lasts and it seems to do everything I would want it to. If you don't want to spend a fortune then I highly recommend this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›