5.0 out of 5 stars Self-help for sceptics, but not cynics
I hate self-help books. Well, that's not quite true. I'm drawn to the idea of reading a book that will make me a better person, more compassionate and patient, more productive. Invariably, however, when I open the pages of one I'm put off by the zealotry, the patronising and trite aphorisms and the uncomfortable moral underpinnings of most self-help philosophies...
Published on 9 Jan. 2011 by redclock

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but falls into the trap he criticises others for
I started reading this book with a combination of interest and enthusiasm. Burkeman starts by (rightly) criticising many of the self-proclaimed, often self-taught gurus and life coaches who provide advice. Much of the advice by these authors is often wrong - at best well-intentioned but misguided advice through to downright manipulative advice in the interests of making...
Published on 4 Dec. 2011 by Dr. Rob Yeung

5.0 out of 5 stars A good laugh., 3 Mar. 2015
This was a fun read. I laughed out loud at some of the things he said, he has a really entertaining style of writing. As it is a résumé of a variety of self help books there is nothing new, but if you just fancy a good laugh with a bit of good advice thrown in, then this is the book for you. I enjoyed it. Don't read it in a public place unless you don't mind embarrassing yourself by screaming with laughter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity. Wisdom. Laffs, 28 July 2011
This book may help you recover from your self-help addiction. Oliver Burkeman ruthlessly extirpates the charlatans from an overcrowded field of authors purporting to have the secret of happiness, wealth and creativity. He does not make grandiose claims, and is dismissive of those who do, but gives respect where respect is due. There is a very useful collection of website resources at the end. I was sorry to finish Help! He has done all the work, assimilated all the books and takes the reader on a brisk, clear and entertaining canter. It passed my rigorous five star book test by making me think, laugh aloud over ten times, and read passages to my husband.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it did help, 16 Dec. 2014
H. Green "flamingice" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I struggle with depression and, as a way to combat this, have been reading a lot of self help books. While I didn't find that this one had much of note worth writing down in my exercise journals, I did enjoy the read and find the author amusing and the book worth reading. The tone is good, the content funny in places and serious in others.

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel slightly better for having read this book, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HELP!: How to Become Slightly Happier and Get a Bit More Done (Kindle Edition)
Easy to read, which is just as well as Burkeman is not one for doing things the hard way.
I have to agree with most of his conclusions that there are very few magic bullets and an incremental change for the better is better than no change at all: still I feel rather disappointed that there was nothing more insightful in there

5.0 out of 5 stars Irreverent but inspirational, 30 Jun. 2014
Funny irreverent and full of good ideas. Have already recommended it to my husband and son. Easy to read and implement.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Help' does what it says on the cover, 20 May 2014
An amusing and lightly learned study of the myriad of self help manuals available. A problem arises when one attempts to read chapter notes on a Kindle - flipping back and forth from notes to text is not a simple thing to do with percentages rather than page numbers. However the effort is worth the inconvenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful self help book!, 11 May 2014
This was available on a Kindle Daily Deal and I love self help books so I bought it. Oliver Burkeman has read most of them and this is a round up of the best advice from these books. I loved it and got many very useful tips such as making money slowly. It is a book to keep dipping into. It is also very funny and laugh out loud at many points. So, if like me, you are still fat and poor after decades of trying to influence people (just not myself!), give this one a try. It may not change you much but it will make you laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly refreshing, 11 May 2014
L. B. Stratmann (UK) - See all my reviews
An engaging, amusing, highly refreshing realistic and useful analysis of the kind of self-help books that promise the hopeful reader big success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 18 Aug. 2013
Have enjoyed this book, if not quite as much as Oliver Burkeman's other study of happiness 'The Antidote'. Although 'Help' probably has more funny bits in it, the topics he discusses are somewhat contracted, and leave me wanting to understand more. This happens because the book is based on a series of newspaper columns, which are more about amusing sound-bytes than real discussion on the subject of happines. Still, he covers a lot of interesting ground and provided me with a fair few giggles, so it gets my vote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Mar. 2013
Entertaining and very thought provoking. It's an easy read and gave me lots of subjects for discussions with our friends. Would recommend