4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, an excellent sat nav introductory unit
I bought this unit purely for my forthcoming Costa Rica holiday for which there were no TomTom maps available (which is my main unit, so I will be comparing features).

The UK / Eire maps are up-to-date and generally routed me where I would have chosen to go anyway. It is very quick to re-route if you decide to ignore an instruction or miss a turning...
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by Ralph Bacon

3.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Sat Navs
Our first Sat Nav and excellent for the price.

Advantages: The speed camera warning and general speed warnings.
You can turn the voice off if it annoys you, or change the voice to a different one.
You can turn off the direction instructions if you know the way, but keep it on for speed warnings.
It can tell you the nearest facilities: petrol,...
Published on 31 Jan 2011 by lollipop68

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, an excellent sat nav introductory unit, 15 Feb 2011
Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 205W 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Electronics)

The voice quality is OK (there was a recent update to improve the UK voice) but the TomTom's (Jane) is better.

The unit is very slim and easily fits into my pocket. Battery life is great and unlike my TomTom doesn't seem to go flat if I leave it for a couple of weeks, unused.

This particular model is an entry-level model. Great for simple navigation around the UK, but lacks features such as being able to download specific routes (eg holiday trips) that you want to follow.

As such, I have to download "waypoints" for my Costa Rica trip and hope it will navigate me correctly when I get there, using the route I expect to follow. My entry-level TomTom One allows me to download specific routes to follow before I get there (but not for Costa Rica, as there are no maps available).

Whilst you can simulate routes it's all a bit clunky, and lacks the finesse of my TomTom. I know that I have a lot of experience of a TomTom but the Garmin has obviously had some features removed (or hidden) for this entry model. Had I known this I *might* have been tempted to buy a more sophisticated model, even for a one off holiday tour.

For UK use it's certainly fit for purpose, it's slim, battery life is great and I might even give this to a family member after I've had my holiday as it's good at what it is meant to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars garmin sat nat, 19 Mar 2011
good satnav replaced an older garmin model. You get one free map update which you really need to use immediately as the unit will probably be anything up to 18 months out of date when you receive it. Updates are quite expensive when you need to buy them and it turns out cheaper to buy a new unit from which you'll get a couple of years useful maps until you'll need to update again. Found it easy to programme and you get a decent size keyboard unlike some makes which require children's fingers to type in post codes etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Sat Navs, 31 Jan 2011
Our first Sat Nav and excellent for the price.

Advantages: The speed camera warning and general speed warnings.
It can tell you the nearest facilities: petrol, parks, police station, hospital etc.
You can use it for hands-free phone calls.

Disadvantages: If you don't have the exact postcode it can't find the address using the street name and town (although it is supposed to be able to.)
I know London very well, but this Sat Nav seems to be intent on directing you only on main roads, hence maximum amount of traffic and traffic lights which adds considerably to the journey, it doesn't use short cuts or back roads. Perhaps I should have gone for the more expensive option with traffic detection facilities on it?

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin 205WT Navigation Software, 30 Mar 2011
I am I the only one who thinks the Garmin navigation software is 'duff'. Reviews I have read including those in Which ? Magazine fail to highlight what I consider to be two major faults.

1) When approaching a junction or roundabout etc the display at the top of the screen displays, by default, the road name (road numbers are displayed if the road has no name) eg Sheffield Road. Now as you approach the roundabout the road signs state the road number not the name eg A61. You can normally only see the road name when you are on it (if you're lucky)- it's too late then if you've gone wrong. So this is a useless feature.

2) If your route involves a main road with sharp left hand bend and on the bend you are required to turn right onto a side road no verbal instruction is given. The result is that (unless you watch the display) you continue on the main road until you hear the dreaded words 'Recalculating'.

On the plus side to recalculation facility is excellent and planing a route is straight forward although you can only plan a route from 'where you are'. A previous SatNav I had with 'Crocodile' software on board was far superior.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Garmin, 9 April 2011
I bought this product from Amazon and I have no problem with this product in itself - it was a good little sat nav - first I'd had and I found it fairly easy to use. However - it is a complete rip off and I will not be buying a Garmin product again. After exactly one year a notice came up saying - your mapping is a year old - you need to update it. I didn't do so because I was happy enough with the level of accuracy. One day later - and I've checked my receipts, the year long warranty ran out the previous week - it wouldn't turn on. I googled this and others have had the same problem with Garmin sat navs breaking the day after the warranty runs out. It just wouldn't charge or turn on - I'd not had any previous problems with it. I've never had any product do anything like this and feel completely ripped off. Don't buy Garmin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor support, 25 Mar 2011
A. Whitehead (UK) - See all my reviews
Garmin hardware and maps might work pretty well - although most tomtom users I've met seem happier bunnies - but the main trouble with Garmin is its stupid on-line 'support'. The whole process of registering your product, and then what you are supposed to do when you have, or what you can do, or what the point is, is totally obscure. Try to find out how to update, add maps, do anything, even complain about how unfathomable everything is, and the horrible unintuitive website just takes you all over the place with very poor explanations of what's going on. For that reason alone I would avoid Garmin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it any good?, 18 Jun 2011
G. Turner (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
Is it any good? I don't know, because I bought it as a gift, but the person I gave it to has managed to find her way to my house and back home again without getting lost or going down undrivable country lanes. The mapping is desperately out of date and doesn't show any new roads constructed in the last two years, and the one time I used it, I found it far less intuitive than my own TomTom. In summary, it's OK, but it's not brilliant, although pricewise it probably represents good VFM.

4.0 out of 5 stars just great for me, 14 Jun 2011
this is my first sat nav, i did a bit of home work on sat navs, before i bought.this garmin nuvi 205w seemed to be just what i wanted.now iv'e had it a couple of weeks, all seems fine, and im well pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 17 Feb 2011
This was my first satnav and I hoped for great things after reading the Which? review. I used it on four journeys and it made mistakes each time. It did not know the existence of a street in a very well established estate, several times it tried to send me down non existent roads, and once, after telling me to enter a roundabout in 2.2 miles, it suddenly urged me to turn left.It has gone back, sadly, and I have bought a new road atlas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 11 Dec 2013
Bought for my son to use. it is easy to set up and use with clear easy to follow instructions.

Garmin Nuvi 205W 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps