My puppy Bryony is a 16-week-old maltipoo and she adores the Rosewood Grunters Hippo, it is in fact the only toy she has which keeps her attention for over five minutes at a time. The toy is larger than I anticipated - Bryony weighs 1.5kg in this video, to give you an idea of her actual size - but she adores wrestling it. An excellent buy, the toy is made from tough durable material and the noise it makes is far less irritating than squeaky toys.
on 30 June 2015
First the good news: the hippo does really grunt and not squeak which means you can stay in the same room as your dog while he plays without risking a nervous breakdown after 5 minutes. The hippo is also really cute and my dog fell instantly in love with it.
Now the bad news: if you are looking for the miracle toy that your "power chewer" dog won't be able to tear appart, this isn't the one. Its legs survived 5 minutes with my lab and, unfortunately, I then had to take the hippo away to the great disappointment of my dog.
My quest for the miracle toy continues while Mr Hippo (or what is left of him) has now made friend with its predecessors the poor crippled Monkey, Penguin and Turtle on the laundry room's window sill (I didn't have the nerves to throw them into the bin, the poor things)
on 9 February 2013
Have had smaller versions in the past, but this one is great. My 3 year old Lab usually manages to wreck the squeakers in toys within a couple of days, but these are still going after 3 weeks of constant battering, and I mean constant. Between this and the pig they are not put down for more than 5 minutes at a time all day. She is in love.
on 18 August 2013
My Border collie cross loves the hippo. It has stood up to a month of very rough play and is still completely intact. The grunting sound is not at all annoying unlike most sqeekie toys. Delivery time was very good. Will have another when this one comes to it's end.
on 24 May 2015
It was my favourite toy and I managed to not bite into it for a full year. It has now been replaced with a Grunters Bear.
I also find this toy great for being attention seeking when my humans are on the phone.
Tilly, the bearded collie
on 2 November 2015
Bought as a joke present for a four year old, but turned out to be his favourite thing! Very loud and annoying grunting - do not allow your child to take this in a car, you will want to lob it out a window. I'm sure dogs would love it too.
on 5 February 2015
Struggled to find a Favorite toy for my 1 year old labrador until the hippo. Alittle scared at first of its unusual squeak but now absolutely in love. Cannot prize it away from her. certainly recommend...
on 15 January 2015
I love this dogs toy and it makes a great noise. Dog not quite as keen as me but I expect it to grow on him as the weather gets better and he can take it out into the garden. Highly recommended. A***
on 8 April 2013
A very nice toy but lasted 10 minutes before my lab bit off its legs and got the insides out. If u have a strong chewer this toy may not last too long.
on 10 December 2012
Puppy loves it. Bigger than I thought but had great fun with it so far. Squeak is a rumble so isn't annoying iv bought the whole set and pup loves them