5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but not cheap !
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by S. Milner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound Poor Quality Control
The Joyo Vintage Overdrive is great for adding crunch to your set-up. In fact, even plugged directly into a laptop or multitrack with no speaker emulation, it sounds pretty similar to a lightly overdriven valve/tube amp (provided the gain is kept low).

Published 14 months ago by Captain Sensible

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but not cheap !, 16 Jan 2012
S. Milner "Stevo" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
I've played the guitar on and off for some years now and when I found a renewed interest in it yet again I decided I needed a new overdrive pedal . I've had Boss pedals over the years and found them to be pretty good but I was looking for something a little less expensive in the run up to Christmas . I found the Joyo on Amazon and thought it was the right price so decided to chance my arm . To be honest I wasn't expecting too much as it is pretty cheap for an overdrive but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least . What a little gem this is , the tones you can get out of it are really good . From warm slightly overdriven to a real screamer . I got the AC DC sound I love out of it so as far as I was concerned that was it sold !! It is also a true bypass so that it doesn't suck all of your tone . This little pedal is perfect for beginners , those on a budget or just plain old bargain hunters !!! I'd have no problems gigging with it and for the price a great bit of kit . Oh yeah it arrived really quickly too .

5.0 out of 5 stars hi, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
hi, i play a roland cube 40 xl, and not having a footswitch to jump from clean to drive, i felt i needed an OD pedal. xmas came early this year :)
usual story from now on , checking endless youtube videos , reading forums, this vs that, comparisons u name it...
story ends simple : ordered, arrived, box opened, battery inserted , works flawless.
how does it sound? i have a boss gt8. you cannot compare the overdrives from these two. this pedal just sounds right. its warm/analog,lush. no noise at all, using the battery it came with, not planning buying adaptor fot it, i like mobility/simplicity. i have a cheap strat type and a les paul, this pedal sounds red hot chilli peppers with the strat.
paintjob is awesome, pedal just looks pro. i will use it on gigs no prob with battery. sounds killer with my roland cube 40 xl - and it's a solid state digital amp. i had a boss sd1 a year ago(had 2 give back to me mate), it was allrite but something wasnt all right with the clipping it had. it sounded heavily compressed. not this one. this rocks. thank you joyo.

and yes, delivery was spot on, thing arrived 2 days earlier. good dealer! 100% recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it!, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
Not sure if this would be the pedal of choice for anyone playing Wembley stadium, but on the basis that most of my playing is at home then I'm 100% happy! Other reviewers have gone into loads of technical detail and were helpful to me so do read on, but in basic terms after a few weeks messing around the build quality seems good, and the sound lovely - it's not a real screaming distortion but a lovely low level overdrive. Superb. Probably one of the best value pedals out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyo Vintage Overdrive, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
I've had this for the best part of a year now and used it live and for practice throughout that time. This pedal would be good value at any price, the jrc chip gives that classic sound, and the controls are easy to use but give a good variety of tonal possibilities. At this price it is a real steal. I use it with a Marshall Bluesbreaker Mk1 and they complement each other beautifully and run together give a smooth and rounded saturation that is hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for the price, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
I bought this drive as a back up to my Ibanez tube screamer and have found it excellent for the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely cheap for a pedal that can do this, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
I would recommend this pedal unreservedly because for the price I don't think you can get a better overdrive pedal - in fact I'm sure it would give pedals twice the price a good run in a hed to head.

Quiet pedal with low noise - easy to use and sounds great when hooked up to the rest of my rig. you can get some great and varied tones from this pedal - a real bargain for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyo Vintage Overdrive Pedal Review, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
I bought this pedal as an alternative to the two highly sought after, expensive and modified pedals that I have using but no longer function correctly. I play around 100 gigs a year so I need something dependable. I read a review of the Joyo pedal and figured I'd buy one as it has virtually the same circuitry and the same highly prized chip as my more expensive pedals.

I have two ditinct settings depending which band I'm playing with, the Joyo pedal actually adds some edge and tonal quality which my more expensive pedals don't quite match. As the Joyo pedal retails for a fraction of the price I'll check out their other products too. After doing a dozen gigs in the month since I bought it I'm well impressed with both the tonal quality and range of the overdrive which I use as a booster for solos, either as a clean boost or as a driven boost. Both types of boost are easily achieved by a swift flick of the three controls.

4.0 out of 5 stars The TS808 but in Cheap Form!!, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
This is yet another in the line of Joyo pedals based on their more expensive counterparts, made cheaply, but delivering high quality sounds.

The Vintage OD is based on a TS808 - in fact, it is EXACTLY the same circuit as the TS808. The construction is very sturdy also.

Compared to my Jekyll and Hyde V2 (which is also based on a TS808) it is not as good. The Jekyll is more refined and '3D' to my ears, however, don't be put off. This pedal is amazingly good. The track of the pots are good, with each turn doing something of note. There is a good amount of gain in this pedal, but it is not for the metal heads. This is pure overdrive which sounds fuzzier and less defined the higher you dial.

The tone dial is wide and tracks very well, but there could be more volume in this pedal. My Jekyll and Hyde has a lot more volume, a bass boost switch, and a lot more about it so that means it stays on my board. Though, I would have absolutely no problems in using the Vintage OD as my main OD sound regardless of the style of music or the setting used. Though, I believe that for more money (and in my case I had to spend 5 times the amount in the Jekyll and Hyde) this is the 2nd best pedal in the world (the Ultimate Drive is No 1).

If you were to buy this and the Ultimate Drive then I don't believe you would ever need to buy another gain pedal again. It and its sibling are really that good.

Because I have what I believe is a better pedal on my board and won't be able to give this pedal a good home, I have given this as a present. I would rather see this pedal get used regularly as it is so good rather than let it collect dust in a drawer at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tubescreamer-esque pedal on a budget, 17 Nov 2011
butwhatdoiknow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)
What a find!? True bypass so it doesn't suck up your tone, solid, not noisy (unless you want it to be!) and a really nice tube overdrive sound. Fantastic value for the money! A perfect OD pedal for beginners, those on a budget, or just bargain gear hunters like me... Customer service excellent too

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound Poor Quality Control, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal (Electronics)

On my pedal the included battery was jammed tightly in the compartment and I couldn't remove it with fingers - I had to carefully prise it out with a screwdriver... I then tried to plug in my DC power supply but the socket was so far out of line with the casing that the plug could not be pushed in. Things were not looking good, and I decided to look inside the pedal to find out what was happening.

I removed the knobs, and found that the nut holding the level pot was loose. The tone nut was just right but the nut for the drive pot was very tight. To get this nut off I had to gently work the nut back and forth, and then I saw the reason - the threads had been crossed !

Next, I removed the nuts holding the sockets (actually that's not strictly true because the sockets are PCB mounted). One of these nuts was loose. I then took out the circuit board and could see why the power socket did not line up with the hole in the casing - a washer had been placed over each pot which caused the board to be mis-aligned. By removing these washers the socket lined up perfectly, but now a capacitor touched the casing when the board was re-fitted. Looking at the board, it appeared to be well made except for inconsistencies in the height of installed components - for example certain parts that were identical were actually placed at different heights. Some were quite snug up to the board and some were too high.

I was able to bend the high capacitor slightly to one side which allowed the board to sit in the correct position.

Because the nut for the drive pot had been cross-threaded at the factory, it had obviously been difficult to tighten. Rather than junk the pedal, the assembler had continued to tighten the nut - but this had caused the pot body to actually twist on the PCB... I carefully twisted it straight and was ready to re-solder the pot connections but they appeared to be ok.

I cleaned up the damaged thread and thankfully there was just enough thread there for the nut to bite on. A word of warning about those in /out socket nuts - they are very flimsy and must only be nipped up gently - the PCB is actually doing most of the holding anyway... With the pedal back together, the power socket was now in the correct position, and everything was working again.

Should I have to do this to a new pedal ? I decided to go ahead and fix it because it was quicker than waiting for a replacement - and maybe that would have had issues anyway. The stories of poor build quality of Joyo pedals is backed up by what I found - I have an American Sound pedal and this also has a DC power socket that is not central with the hole in the casing (plug can't be inserted). Yes, these pedals can sound good but it's a lottery whether you get one that's been made right.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›