5.0 out of 5 stars Costa Series
I love this series. Each one can be read as a stand alone novel. I love them even more after visiting Rome. My only non positive comment would be... for those more imaginative readers who haven't yet been to Rome, don't worry it's not as dangerous seeming as it's made out to be.

Published on 25 Oct 2010 by Barbara Cottier

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good
I had never heard of David Hewson, I just happened to pick this book up, liked the sound of it, and so bought it.
Published on 14 April 2005 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good, 14 April 2005
It is a fairly good detective romp around Rome with dead bodies, mob culture, mopeds and a bit of history and weird stuff thrown in. Sometimes I found myself having to turn back to earlier parts of the book, as certain things I read didn't add up, but apart from that it was a good book and I would buy the first in the series (as, true to form with me, I have managed to read them out of sequence!).
I look forward to any other Nic Costa novels in the future as I think he will develop as a character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Costa Series, 25 Oct 2010

As a crime series it's modern and keeps you gripped through the whole story. David Hewson has been compared to Dan Browne. In my opinion there is no comparison. David Hewson writes much better than Brown.

The books also give a would be tourist a few ideas of where to visit in Rome. Thanks to these books I came across the lovely little fountain of the tortoises that I may have missed otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking stuff., 7 Sep 2007
I wasn't sure about this book to start with - novels written by Brits but set in Italy are usually a no-no for me (I can't abide the preciousness) but Hewson proved me wrong. The plot is interesting and original, though not necessarily the novel's strongest point. The setting is beautifully rendered - Rome in its warts-and-all splendour. But for me what really made this book stand out was the characters - realistically drawn, largely flawed but essentially sympathetic, they made reading this book an undiluted joy. I look forward to reading the rest of Hewson's output.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mobsters and Bacchanalian cults..., 2 Dec 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
When a preserved body is found in a peat bog, it looks as if the dead girl is a long-forgotten victim of a ritual killing from ancient times. But forensic examination soon proves the death is much more recent than that, leading to speculation that a cult based on the Bacchanalian mythology is active in present day Rome. And to make matters worse, another young girl has just gone missing in similar circumstances, a few days before the ancient ceremony of Liberalia, the anniversary of the first death...

Nic Costa has returned to duty following the death of his father and his recovery from the injuries he received in the first book of the series, A Season for the Dead. Nic finds he's been paired up with Gianni Peroni, a high-flying vice cop who's been busted back to the ranks after been caught with a prostitute. Nic is a refreshingly non-alcoholic, not particularly maverick cop - young and still a bit nave and idealistic, but with a determined streak that leads him to take occasional risks.

This is a well written crime mystery with a complicated plot and an interesting setting. Although Nic is the nominal hero, we see the investigation from different perspectives through the eyes of several members of the police team and forensic pathologists. As well as ancient myth and legend, the story is firmly rooted in the Rome of today, with the authorities still battling to defeat the mobsters and Mafiosi that infest the city. As flu strikes, leaving the police short-handed, they are constantly diverted from the task of looking for the missing girl by a fresh outbreak of mob rivalry causing havoc throughout the city.

Overall, I found this a good read, though I felt it was a bit too long. The ending in particular was over-padded leading to a loss in tension, and there were aspects of it that took credibility almost to breaking point. But the characterisation is very good, both of the police team and the villains, and the introduction of Roman myths and legends gave it an added level of interest. I believe there are nine Costa books to date, and this one will certainly encourage me to continue with the series. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now one of my favourite writers, 30 April 2013
This review is from: The Villa of Mysteries (Nic Costa Mysteries 2) (Kindle Edition)
A family member introduced me to the novels of David Hewish. I have my favourite crime thriller novelists and await eagerly for their new ones. His crime stories are intriguing always so far with a unexpected twist on the end. The Detectives interact and the descriptions of Italy don't irk me as do some writers who seem bent on giving a guided tour!!
I don't write about the stories as I leave others to do it, who are perhaps more prolific than me but I do appreciate their insights. David Hewson does a gripping crime thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman Deeds, 17 Feb 2013
David Hewson writes edgier crime stories than Donna Leon. I love her books set in Venice, but they are gentler. Hewson's characters have a harder reality. Maybe Rome is really a tougher city! Nic Costa has liberal ethics, and his partner Perroni is tough and has a history. Their boss, Falcone, is a cold, distant man, with his own demons. This book deals with crime families, dark secrets, old Roman, and pre-Roman cults and rites. Hewson does his research, and the fascinating world of "Peat bodies" is touched on.
The pathologist-Theresa is an eccentric, a unique person. Each book stands on it's own, but it is worth starting from the beginning, in order. That way, the changes and events shaping lives make more sense. Great series, and Rome comes to life. Even if one has not visited it- the past is so vivid in every day life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nic Costa story develops, 2 Mar 2010
This novel introduces a new character to the team, Gianni Peroni. We also see Teresa Lupo, the pathologist, take the forefront in the investigation of a body found in a peat bog. The discovery is a gem of humour, as two American tourists stumble upon the body.

So, what is the history of this body and why is Teresa so obsessed with the details of this case. We see Nic blunder with youthful exuberance into solving this latest case as his colleagues try hard to rein him in.

This second Nic Costa novel was no disappointment after the success of the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Molto been., 30 April 2014
Just returned from a holiday in Rome and read this book while I was there. Great viewing the places mentioned. Super thriller. Now downloaded more in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, 1 April 2014
J. E. Clatworthy "James" (Wimbledon) - See all my reviews
I had read a number of reviews which raved about David Hewson. On the cover it says, 'If you like Donna Leon, you'll love this'. However, Donna Leon is in a different league in terms of the quality of writing. The only similarity is that both are about police inspectors in Italy. The way Hewson tries to build up the relationship between the two policemen, Costa and Perroni, through quickfire dialgue, is laboured. I do not expect Jane Austin from contemporary crime fiction. I love Elmore Leonard, Donna Leon, Andrea Camilleri and Stig Larson. I stopped reading three quarters of the way through, after realising that I simply did not care if Costa - trapped in an ancient Roman cellar - lived or died.

5.0 out of 5 stars Villa of Mysteries, 29 Jan 2014
An unusual book with twists and turns. A really good read. Makes a change from British detectives which abound today.