5.0 out of 5 stars Loud and brilliant!
To confirm in case you didn't already imagine, these headphones are absolutely impractical for any kind of use outdoors. The 6. jack with the 3.5 adaptor makes the connector pretty chunky and as I've found connecting to some phones in cases it may not plug in correctly. The cable is long as well, so you'd have alot of slack.

They leak alot of noise, so if...
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by Marc

3.0 out of 5 stars Over priced
These head phones are exactly the same as the HD555 model which i bought in 2009 for less than £70. These headphones as well as the HD280 are available from the US for less than £70. Why Sennheiser feels the need to rip off the UK customers I am not sure. Including custom duty of 20%+ £5 admin fee and £15 postage it is far cheaper to purchase these overpriced headphones...
Published 18 months ago by Jack Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud and brilliant!, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 558 High End Open Over-Ear Headphones with E.A.R. Technology (Electronics)

They leak alot of noise, so if anyone else is around they will hear what is blitzing through these things, and they are loud.

However put these things in your computer at home or any portable player as well and they absolutely stunning. My music (Alot of rock / metal with occasional electronic / drum and bass) has never sounded so clear, so crunchy and impactful.

Whack the volume up to the most that your ears can handle, these things don't care. You'll get no crackling or distortion and whatever you're playing will still have amazing clarity.

These are expensive headphones no doubt, but I've never wanted to listen to so much music in my home since getting them. Everything sounds new again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones, 19 Mar 2012
The HD 558 headphones are much better than my older HD 500 headphones. However the sound is much improved by implementing the modification that is listed in various places on the internet (a simple removal of tape from the inside of the outer case). This modification makes the sound more spaceous. The headphones also improve after 20 hours of use. I am very happy with these headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good open back headphones, 29 Jan 2013
My wife bought me these headphones (on my recommendations) after reading several positive reviews on here (and elsewhere).

the quality of the product is top notch, well made, well packaged and as described.

Sennheiser are one of the big researchers into sound technology and the HD558's definitely have benefitted from some of their technological developments dripping down to them. this is unlike beats or others which are all about the marketing hype!

in terms of sound quality, they are top notch as hoped. i have enjoyed listening to plenty of music. what i enjoy most about the audio through these phones is that you really can pick out each individual track within the recording. you can focus on backing vocals or a hidden guitar and really pick it out. dont expect them to blast your head off with bass as this is not what they are designed for. they are for budget concious audiophiles so its all about quality not quantity.

as mentioned in other reviews because these headphones are open back, they are not at all suited to the outdoors (rain WILL destroy them) and sound leakage will be a problem, both inwards and outwards. my wife said when i first started listen through them that she could 'just hear everything'. is a bit of an overstatement and i would describe the leakage like taking in ears out and putting them on the other side of the room.

However, i recently took them on holiday and they werent too bad. on the plane the volume was sufficient to overcomb the drone of the engines and other systems and in the terminal they worked pretty well (during quiet parts of songs i could hear the tannoy and people speaking loudly).

one downside is that they dont come with any kind of case (bag or semi rigid) and it is difficult to find a case that will suit them. i ended up buying a camera case with adjustable 'padding'.

another reason i bought these headphones is that the cable IS detachable. there is basically a 4 pole 2.5mm 'micro jack'? that plugs in to one of the cans. the cable is very long and i will probably look to get a second shorter one, when travelling. The purpose of the detachable cable is to make them easier to store and to provent damage. They come with a full size stereo jack connection and an adapter to 3.5mm stereo jack. when attached this is a bit of a beast and is about the size of 2x AA batteries, i had no problems with plugging this into my iphone but i can see the concern from others. Sennheiser potentially could have included a 3m long 6.35mm cable and a 1 - 1.5m long 3.5mm cable?

the main use of these headphones is of course for listening at home or possibly for studio mixing. they will suit the individual who wants to watch an action film 'on loud' without disturbing neighbours/ sleeping children. they are also well suited to recording using a direct input (i.e. garageband or equivalent). they will be no could as monitors for live recording again due to them being open back.

the quality of the drivers is definitely good. the 50 ohms means that using an iphone on almost full volume gives you full immersion in soundwithout hurting your ears. i have also used a friends HD 650's, they are obviously much higher quality and the drivers are 300 ohms, using an iphone with them makes the sound very quiet but they are best used with a amplifier which takes you into a different league of listening.

if i were to make a couple of suggestions to sennheiser they would be;

a) make more of the chasis out of metal to make them more robust, im sure they are sturdy enough however i feel as though i need to treat them with padded gloves.

b) provide a case, for and extra 5% of the price surely a storage/ carry case could be provided?

either way apart from pedantic gripes the actual headphones are 5/5 for their intended use, 3/5 for outside use (not including jogging or walking about in the rain) as a product 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy, 22 Feb 2014
Lee M. Prew "lee prew" (London) - See all my reviews
Loving these headphones. The sound quality is above what I expected at this price. There's no sound cancelling, but when you have sound pumped into them you're not going to notice. Full highs, mid, and lows with a lovely projection that makes the sound feel wider. Like most outputs the benefit from adjusts to a graphic equaliser. In vanilla mode they are more than capable of warmth and clarity. But adjusting the levels can produce some pretty amazing crystal clear results. They are also some of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. If it weren't for the cable and music I'd forget they were even there.

I'm marking them down one star because of their badly implemented cable decisions. As standard they are fitted with a 6.3 jack. Why? As a standard nowadays pretty much every device is 3.5. If it was fitted with a 3.5 it wouldn't require you to plug a huge jack into huge adaptor transforming an already large end to the cable into now what can only be described as a rather massive accident waiting to happen. They could have included a separate 3.5 cable, but instead you have to buy it for another £9.99. The thing is I would have brought these even if they were an extra £10 as they are totally worth it. Instead I have to send off for something that should have already been included as standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable headphones I have ever used, 3 Feb 2012
The main reason I got these were for comfort since every single headphone I have ever purchase has caused me some discomfort after several hours of use. So after quite a bit of research I found these bad boys and my god they feel so nice. They do leak a lot of sound so if you want to use them on the go then just know that everyone within 10 feet of you will be able to hear what you're listening to.

I'm not much of an audio guy but the sound quality for me is pretty nice. I have no qualms about it. If you're looking for something that fits nicely around your ears and is comfortable to wear for several hours then get this. If you're going for something to use on the go then I'd suggest something else since the audio leak is kind of ridiculous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Info to help you choose, 29 Dec 2011
This is my first time reviewing an item here on amazon, but having read millions of reviews and opinions about many headphones in this price category I thought I would try and synthesize everything I have come across in the hope it may make the choice easier for prospective buyers. Okay here goes then the Hd 558 generally received no less than 4 stars with many professional reviewers from audiophile websites giving them 5 stars. Recurrent advantages that people cite are that they have an excellent soundstage, comfort and design as well as very detailed and tight bass. In my own experience of them there are many things that particularly made an impact on me, but the soundstage is what really hit me. Though this is a bit of a generalization, these headphones I think are best suited to acoustic instruments and it is with music such as jazz and classical that they really shine. Instruments are very clearly defined and all seem to have their own distinct space in the soundstage. This makes listening to your music a much more immersive experience in which you can truly lose yourself. Another advantage is that when watching films you can enjoy a 5.1 surround sound experience for comparatively little. If you are in doubt as I was because of the price, just think, it's not only an investment in your music but also in your films. In comparison with other headphones such as the ATH AD 700 which from what I've read have an equally good soundstage, don't have sufficient bass to give music and films sufficient punch and impact. I'm no bass head but sometimes you can't pretend to be so superior and claim you don't need some bass in your music. Fortunately I think the HD 558s strike the balance perfectly between not overwhelming the music or leaving it lacking. In comparison to the model above it, the HD598 I have heard that the main differences are that the 598s have a brighter sound signature as opposed to the darker presentation of the 558s (this however I don't think is necessarily better, just a matter of personal preference) and a wider soundstage. However it is worth noting that the 558s can be modified into a pair of 598s as they are virtually the same set of headphones (with the same drivers) the only difference being a strip of tape on the insides muffling the soundstage and bass. I cannot comment on it as I have not yet tried it but from what I have heard the soundstage does indeed improve and the mids get brighter, however one reviewer at headphonia[...] says that the bass gets boomier and less tight as a result. Now as for amplification, I would not say that you absolutely need an amp but it does help with rock and pop, I personally use a battered old hi-fi amp from the 80s and that does the job just fine. Right now I'm listening to them on my computer with the volume turned up ¾ and the volume is perfectly adequate for my taste. Interestingly though when I listen to them on my iphone they just don't sound as good with sound stage somehow greatly reduced, but when I listen to them on an old ipod they sound as good as they do on my computer. I have listened to some other higher end headphones from sennheiser such as HD 65o and while its definitely a better set of headphones, these are really not very far off at all and considering the 650s cost nearly 200 quid more I think you get absolutely excellent value for money with these headphones, especially given that you have the option to mod them into the model above it ( which isn't very different by all accounts). So if you are considering buying these I would heartedly recommend them but I think you should also consider what sort of music you're going to listen to. I can confidently say that there are very few genres which wouldn't sound great through these cans, but Jazz and classical as well as some rock and pop are really where they shine (Bob Dylan sounds really great, just make sure if you're listening to the older recordings that you have a good bit rate track) . They have the capacity both in terms of bass and musical presentation to please almost all listeners (unless you are a millionaire audiophile in which case you probably wouldn't be reading this review). Sorry if this has dragged on a bit! But thank you for reading and I hope that which ever set of headphones you choose to buy, they will give you many years of listening pleasure and contentment.
Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pair of headphones., 3 Jan 2012
Pete Ward (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Like a few of the other reviewers, I bought these as an upgrade to my HD 485's, and I am not disappointed. They are better in pretty much every single way, from comfort to sound quality. The Headphones are very light, and after even 10 minutes or so become largely ignored. Despite this, they are sturdy, and on top of things look fantastic.

The Sound quality is great, and although the bass is not as powerful as some other contenders, there is a good balance, and overall the quality is superb, whether you're listening to music or watching a movie. The 10 foot cable should ensure you can comfortably watch a film or play games without straining the cable.

The fact that the 3.5mm jack comes as an adapter means that overall the jack will be about 2 inches in length, making it a bit obtrusive when using it with an iPod, but that's a small issue. The open back and E.A.R technology, as well as the comfort of it, makes it seem like the sound is coming from around you as opposed to next to your ears. Overall, these are a great pair of headphones, and I would highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Classical Music, 2 Oct 2012
My daughter-in-law listened to a recording of her husband playing the guitar moments after the recording had been made. She exclaimed "It's just the same as the original!". I listen to a lot of classical music and can now almost dispense with using my hi-fi speakers, so keeping the decibels down in the house. Superb and at an affordable price. They are comfortable to wear for several hours. Thoroughly recommended unless you have loads of money to buy top of the range. I cannot comment on them re gaming as I don't play games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 13 Aug 2011
I Don't umm and ahhh over buying these headphones, they sound absolutely sublime for movies, games and music. They are supremely comfortable and the sound stage is spectacular. These headphones are definitely worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 7 Oct 2011
I bought these an upgrade to the Sennheiser 555s. I was never overly happy with the 555s as I found them a bit boomy in the bass department which is not a good thing for listening to slap bass heavy psychobilly. The balance was also an issue with the 555s with the left phone appearing to have more drive than the right. Anyway, these issues have been ironed out in the 558s. They sound much cleaner than the 555s, the balance is spot on and with regards to the bass...instead of big booming notes (thus making the actual notes somewhat inaudible)you can actually here the bass notes with these whilst still maintaining good deep bass tones and pitch perfect treble. This purchase brings my Sennheiser arsenal to 6 and they are definitely head and shoulders above the rest both sonically and aesthetically.