5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever
I've been listening to Queen for the best part of 40 years and I have never, ever heard these songs sound as good as they do on this remaster.

Published on 15 Jan. 2011 by D. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered YET again. Something weird about 2011 remaster.
Published on 19 Jan. 2013 by William

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever, 15 Jan. 2011
D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

The casual Queen listener will be happy with the previous 1994 remaster if they have it, but for those of us who are big fans this is a delight. I could go on but examples would be that there is real clarity in the lead and back vocals and separation between the bass and kick drum - I know Taylor is a fine drummer and now the full extent of his recorded contribution can be heard along with Deacon's fluid basslines. There is a warmth to the sound not apparent on the previous cd issues which were hard and brittle making them tiresome to listen to. And I'm not kidding myself - I definitely am hearing levels of detail previously unheard.

The frankly previously appalling sound on songs such as "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye" has been transformed and I felt like I was hearing them for the first time.

I bought this and "Hits 2", with some trepidation given some remasters I have bought recently, before deciding whether to buy into the rest of the back catalogue as it is issued. I can only say I'll be first in the queue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen sounding better than ever before, 18 Jan. 2011
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Anyone looking at this album already knows enough of the songs to know if they are fans of the band. Therefore I will review the wonderful remastering. The sleeve says that this has been remastered from the 2 track stereo mixdown tape, which surprised me. The extra detail that this issue has is remarkable, extra guitar parts that had lain hidden are now up there, the actual sound of John Deacons bass, as opposed to the thud of it in previous issues, is now clear and his contribution to the overall sound is all the more apparent for it. The space in the booth where Freddie recorded his vocals is discernable.

All in all if this is the level of quality that the remastered main albums is going to have then I predict an expensive year ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely most people have this already don't they?, 8 Jun. 2013
Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you were to buy one Queen album, this would be it. Apart from Sheer Heart Attach and A Night At The Opera, Queen's studio album's were inconsistent affairs and always had the odd stinker (e.g. Drowse, More Of That Jazz, Who Needs You, etc). This album collates 17 of their biggest singles (all Top 20 in one way or another) and you can't really complain about the track listing. OK, so a few singles are not on here (Tie Your Mother Down and Spread Your Wings were minor hits, Keep Yourself Alive didn't chart) but this compilation seems perfectly balanced with the tracks already on here. It's apparent that Freddie Mercury was definitely the dominant songwriter within this period of the band (Bohemian Rhapsody, Killer Queen, Crazy Little Thing...., Somebody To Love, Don't Stop Me Now, etc) but there are also a couple of gems from John Deacon (Another One Bites The Dust, You're My Best Friend) with Brian May providing the rock (Now I'm Here, We Will Rock You, etc). Basically, this album is essential even for non-Queen fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Job well done, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Bought this and GH2 yesterday and am absolutely blown away by the remastering job. Bob Ludwig has 'done a Beatles' and subtly brought out clarity and opened up the soundscape and not turned everything up to 10 (thank all that is good and mighty). Really looking forward to the remastered versions of the albums-UNiversal do a good job with their deluxe editions so hopefully a treat of bonus tracks etc. Hope they don't tag them on to the original album but do them as a second disc. Particularly crossing fingers that the BBC Christmas 1977 interview to accompany News of the World can be sourced and included; oh and that 'Live Killers' is included in the release schedule.
Buy it, even if like me you have done so a number of times before, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Queen, 26 Oct. 2011
Mr. M. A. Fielder "Mad Mike" (Leeds, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I readily admit that I'm not the biggest Queen fan on earth but I'd thoroughly recommend this CD. It is as it says their greatest hits; all my favourites are on there and remastered in top quality sound. Buy it!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered YET again. Something weird about 2011 remaster., 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The record companies love making fans double dip. The classic Queen Greatest Hits first surfaced on vinyl in 1981. It first appeared on CD in the late 80s and then was digitally remastered in the mid 90s. I bought all of those. And now the 2011 remaster because it was on special. When I popped into the computer just so I could check sound levels, I noticed the electronic label said "Greatest Hits (2004)". This should say 2011, unless they did a remaster in 2004 that I am unaware of, and forgot to relabel it properly. Makes me suspicious though, if they actually did a remaster in 2011. Hmmm. Anyone care to enlighten me.
The remastering itself is acceptable but I am generally wary of remastering. I have experienced some of the most shocking remasters of all time ('Thriller' is the worst). The loudness war has resulted in some shockers over time. This Queen remaster (2004 or 2011, whatever the real year is) has a level of compression removing the wonderful full dynamic range given to the original CD. If you own the original CD, hang onto it. Remastering DOES affect the full dynamic range, and once people realise that, they will tread carefully with them. Of course, there are some benefits to remastering. Previous errors such as drop-outs can be rectified.
I don't honestly believe fans need to upgrade to this remaster. Save your money, and remaster it yourself if you feel the need. There is software out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest of them all, 5 Jan. 2011
M. sillitoe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I knew this album was already a great album but with the 2011 remastered version it brings it into the 21st century. This is the best I have ever heard this album sound. well done Bob Ludwig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, there's more of them?, 23 Jan. 2014
Radiojock (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Just had a snoop and, it turns out that there's a Volume II and III of their greatest hits. I'll have to look further into that!

Meanwhile, this isn't a big repertoire of their stuff but, it'll do me very nicely, thank you very much! The album opens with an amazing-sounding Bohemian Rhapsody. The reproduction, sitting here listening through my headphones rivals the set up I used professionally. I played that B.R. record hundreds of times through an Airlab mixer and very nice speakers. Sitting here, I'm running the album through iTunes, Technics 'phones via a Panasonic amplifier and it does the business for the reproduction.

I simply adore Seven Seas of Rhye and Killer Queen, two of the earliest Queen recordings I remember.

The little snippet of a song, (as I've always called it): We Will Rock You is here. Flash appears in the playlist as well as some other golden recordings, of which there are 17 altogether.

If you like Fat Bottomed Girls and Bicycle Race, along with Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Somebody To Love, I'd suggest you nab this while it's here, although this album has been re-released, from what I've heard and read, a few times over by now. It's probably too important an album for the record companies to allow to go out of pressing.

You will notice the difference in stereo spread between the early songs and the later offerings. The sound is amazing. Very nicely produced. I'm very pleased with my copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking remaster, 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is arguably my favourite Greatest Hits collection of all time (OK, I'll admit that The Beatles' blue & red albums are up there with this one as my personal top 3). I will never forget the day when I first heard this. I was just a young boy and we visited some family friends. My friend (a few years older than myself) put this LP on his dad's high fidelity sound system (I can't remember what they had, but it was pretty good). At that stage I had never even heard a Queen song before (hard to believe), so I was being exposed, for the very first time, to both the amazing music and the sound quality of a proper hi-fi. For the first time I heard the detail of each instrument, the magnificent Freddie and Queen vocals and that dramatic sound stage. That moment changed my life and made me acutely aware of what both music & audio quality were all about.
The sound from the latest 2011 remaster is what sets this collection (and Vol.2) apart from any previous digital editions, including the DTS96/24 & LPCM DVD version of the early 2,000's. The sound has depth, warmth and clarity and covers a wide frequency range which is so different to both the original transfers and the terribly sounding high flat frequency CD's & DVD's issued at the turn of the millennia. This is as close to the ol' vinyl sound that you will get (for now). Listen to it on a proper hi-fi with proper speakers though; a MP3 player just won't do it justice...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Just Got Greater., 5 Jan. 2011
Mr. Paul Manning (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The biggest selling album in UK history has been polished to perfection. Bob Ludwig has made this superb album worth buying all over again!

Of course there are no extras - the fantastic job done by Mr Ludwig merits a re-release anyway.

The poster who complained that there was nothing new here - and only gave it one star - really cannot appreciate top quality music. And he is totally wrong when he complains about the amount of times Queen's greatest hit have been re-released - For a band as huge as the mighty Queen, one would think that they would have re-released their hits endless times by now, but no, that is not the case at all. Apart from the original releases and now these remastered version, we have only had the Platinum Collection (which comprised all 3 greatest hits albums in one box) and the Absolute Greatest cd. Hardly market saturation, is it?!

I didn't think this timeless classic album could get any better. I was wrong.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Queen (Audio CD - 2011)