5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever
I've been listening to Queen for the best part of 40 years and I have never, ever heard these songs sound as good as they do on this remaster.

Published on 15 Jan 2011 by D. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered YET again. Something weird about 2011 remaster.
Published 19 months ago by William

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever, 15 Jan 2011
D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

The casual Queen listener will be happy with the previous 1994 remaster if they have it, but for those of us who are big fans this is a delight. I could go on but examples would be that there is real clarity in the lead and back vocals and separation between the bass and kick drum - I know Taylor is a fine drummer and now the full extent of his recorded contribution can be heard along with Deacon's fluid basslines. There is a warmth to the sound not apparent on the previous cd issues which were hard and brittle making them tiresome to listen to. And I'm not kidding myself - I definitely am hearing levels of detail previously unheard.

The frankly previously appalling sound on songs such as "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye" has been transformed and I felt like I was hearing them for the first time.

I bought this and "Hits 2", with some trepidation given some remasters I have bought recently, before deciding whether to buy into the rest of the back catalogue as it is issued. I can only say I'll be first in the queue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen sounding better than ever before, 18 Jan 2011
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Anyone looking at this album already knows enough of the songs to know if they are fans of the band. Therefore I will review the wonderful remastering. The sleeve says that this has been remastered from the 2 track stereo mixdown tape, which surprised me. The extra detail that this issue has is remarkable, extra guitar parts that had lain hidden are now up there, the actual sound of John Deacons bass, as opposed to the thud of it in previous issues, is now clear and his contribution to the overall sound is all the more apparent for it. The space in the booth where Freddie recorded his vocals is discernable.

All in all if this is the level of quality that the remastered main albums is going to have then I predict an expensive year ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Job well done, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Bought this and GH2 yesterday and am absolutely blown away by the remastering job. Bob Ludwig has 'done a Beatles' and subtly brought out clarity and opened up the soundscape and not turned everything up to 10 (thank all that is good and mighty). Really looking forward to the remastered versions of the albums-UNiversal do a good job with their deluxe editions so hopefully a treat of bonus tracks etc. Hope they don't tag them on to the original album but do them as a second disc. Particularly crossing fingers that the BBC Christmas 1977 interview to accompany News of the World can be sourced and included; oh and that 'Live Killers' is included in the release schedule.
Buy it, even if like me you have done so a number of times before, you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered YET again. Something weird about 2011 remaster., 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The record companies love making fans double dip. The classic Queen Greatest Hits first surfaced on vinyl in 1981. It first appeared on CD in the late 80s and then was digitally remastered in the mid 90s. I bought all of those. And now the 2011 remaster because it was on special. When I popped into the computer just so I could check sound levels, I noticed the electronic label said "Greatest Hits (2004)". This should say 2011, unless they did a remaster in 2004 that I am unaware of, and forgot to relabel it properly. Makes me suspicious though, if they actually did a remaster in 2011. Hmmm. Anyone care to enlighten me.
The remastering itself is acceptable but I am generally wary of remastering. I have experienced some of the most shocking remasters of all time ('Thriller' is the worst). The loudness war has resulted in some shockers over time. This Queen remaster (2004 or 2011, whatever the real year is) has a level of compression removing the wonderful full dynamic range given to the original CD. If you own the original CD, hang onto it. Remastering DOES affect the full dynamic range, and once people realise that, they will tread carefully with them. Of course, there are some benefits to remastering. Previous errors such as drop-outs can be rectified.
I don't honestly believe fans need to upgrade to this remaster. Save your money, and remaster it yourself if you feel the need. There is software out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Queen, 26 Oct 2011
Mr. M. A. Fielder "Mad Mike" (Leeds, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I readily admit that I'm not the biggest Queen fan on earth but I'd thoroughly recommend this CD. It is as it says their greatest hits; all my favourites are on there and remastered in top quality sound. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest of them all, 5 Jan 2011
M. sillitoe - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I knew this album was already a great album but with the 2011 remastered version it brings it into the 21st century. This is the best I have ever heard this album sound. well done Bob Ludwig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greater than ever, 5 Jan 2011
J. Milner "jcmilner" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
At last a major artist has the balls to stick two fingers up at the loudness war. 2011 gets off to a cracking start with my faith in music restored (probably only on a temporary basis). Not many artists can boast even one worthwhile Greatest Hits albums but Queen have two 100% quality sets. Now they are even better with stunning clarity and breathtaking detail. Always a dynamic sounding band, Queen have treated their music with the respect it so richly deserves. To have gone down the loudness route would have robbed this theatrical music of its essential dynamics. This time the I-pod generation gets its face slapped and the flag flies high for those few of us remaining who appreciate that music needs to breathe to really get the hairs on the back of the neck twitching. Well done to all involved for a good start on what looks to be a worthwhile reissue campaign. And go away all you moaners - no one's forcing you to buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Bob Ludwig has done an amazing job remastering this. This is certainly worth buying as you will have never heard these superb songs sound any better than this. What a truly masterful album this really is. Pure brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
had a great time listening to this album. Wish i had got a few more queen albums in my collection. Truly great Album

5.0 out of 5 stars old favourites, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Excellent if you love Queen classic on one CD the only trouble is there is so many great hits it would have to be 10 box CD to get them all. Brought to replace car CD worn out with all the playing.

Delivery was excellent arrived when said it would brill.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits by Queen (Audio CD - 2011)