4.0 out of 5 stars William Shatner's Has Been, 2 Jun 2005
C. V. Henry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I work in a Library and this CD came up as part of an exchange between library's in the pop section. Those of us who heard it all have differing taste etc, but we just loved this album. Your' gonna die is hilarious and I thank Mr Shatner for bringing such joy to what can sometimes be a world too full of its own self-importance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Sep 2005
Jason Mills "jason10801" (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
This album is funny when it wants to be, serious when it wants to be, brilliant throughout. It's impossible to ridicule Shatner because he does it so well himself; he's got there first.
Ben Folds has created a superb musical environment for these songs(?), whilst Shatner's lyrics are often subtle and always honest. Did you ever see "Dumb & Dumber"? It's like that - it shouldn't work, but it does!
With input from Joe Jackson and Brad Paisley, among others, the album's only problem is that it's so good that it always draws your full attention. You have been warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shatner returns after a short 36 year absence, 7 Oct 2004
Stoofer "QA Manager" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Anyone aware of Shatner will instantly think of MR TAMBORINE MAAAAAN! or Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, which either arouse hoots of laughter, or immediate hatred from those with no humour.
"Has Been" opens with a cover of Pulp's Common People... while you may think that he's continuing in the same vein as Transformed Man, this is not the case and you cant help but take the album seriously once you're half way into it. Sure there are still smiles to be had, but they're of a different kind.
Produced by Ben Folds (of Ben Folds Five fame) and featuring Adrian Belew, Joe Jackson, Lemon Jelly, Aimee Mann, Brad Paisley and Henry Rollins (amongst others) the musical composition actually oozes class. In Transformed Man, Shatners monologues were back by Star-Trekkish music - this is not the case with 'Has Been' and Shatner can be heard to actually sing correctly with choral or orchestral backgrounds.
Opening with a strong cover of 'Common People' that will have the listener smiling, the album follows with "It Hasn't Happened Yet" which sets the tone for what the album really is - it's about where Shatner is at the moment, and is a fairly personal album.
You'll have time is a strong track 3 designed to provoke thought, will at the least leave you smiling when constantly told that "you're gonna die." Other memorable tracks are the title track "Has Been" which is a stab at armchair critics "I can't Get Behind That" for one of the best last lines of a song ever.
If you liked Transformed Man in any way, this album is far better in every way. You wont be laughing at Shatner shouting familiar lines as if threatening the Klingons as Kirk, but you will come away appreciating the man more. You may not play the album much, but it's worthy of being in a collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Shocked..., 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Bought this over Christmas as kind of a joke present for myself, but discovered that it is actually really, really good. Particular stand out tracks are Has Been, I Can't get behind that, and You'll have time. As another reviewer has said, Common people is one of the weaker tracks but I think that is more because I grew up on the original as opposed to it being bad. Buy this Album!

5.0 out of 5 stars You be surprised, 26 Nov 2004
J. R. Gallagher (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I bought this as a present for my cousin, after listening to the awesome "I can't get behind that" expecting it to be a bit of a novelty and little more.
I was wrong. This is a collection of 10 great songs and one spoken word track (he is an actor after all) That gets repeated listening time and time again in our house.
I hope the partnership of Shatner and Folds will continue to produce music of this remarkable quality. I will certainly buy the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 11 Jan 2007
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
My boyfriend introduced me to this album I thought he was mad. I only liked the first song (common people) and just skiped over the rest, that was till recently. I would tell everyone to listen to this album. It's funny, but also serious. He talks his way through the song, apart from one where he sings so terrible he makes the song sound good. The music sounds cheesy, but don't let that put you off. Listen to the words he says he talks about things that have happened in his life and that I thought was really nice. It gives you an insight in to Shatner and the way he thinks. He talks about his daughter he lost touch with, his wife he found dead and how different he is from the characters he plays on screen. I loved this album everyone should have a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book...., 29 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
Having heard the Shat's magnificant Transformed Man album I approached this expecting a bit of a laugh. While there are a couple of tongue in cheek tracks (Has Been, I Can't Behind That) they never stray into the ridiculous category (like his Mr.Tambourine Man/Lucy In The Sky/etc covers). Instead we have what actually turns out to be many heartfelt ballads (check out It Hasn't Happened Yet/That's Me Trying). Ben Folds', at times, beautiful piano accompaniment fits perfectly with Shatner's 'poetic' vocal style to create an album that'll have you gazing out the window thoughtfully one minute, and laughing along with the common people the next. Dismiss at your peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Oct 2004
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
When i heard that William Shatner was releasing an album i was a little unsure what it would be like having not heard his 1968 offering "Transformed Man" (I don't really recommend buying that by the way)I am not a star trek fan so the praise I give to this album is not because i am a trekie but because of the album in its own right. The album is produced by the fantastic Ben Folds and his influence is heard on the album, but not to the point you think it's a Ben Folds album with William Shatner providing vocals. If you like Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five then the chances are you are going to enjoy this even though it's different. The Mix of music and spoken word interspersed with guest vocalist really works.
The Album is brilliant, it's fun in places and serious and honest in others. It's a well rounded album and since I got it it's been providing my life with much joy. I have never felt the need to write a review on Amazon before but this album impressed me enough to make me want to. Go out and buy it, it's the best thing you could do with 8.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's Bill trying..., 2 Nov 2004
Mr. BJ WISSETT (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
...and totally succeeding. This album isn't what I expected it to be - after hearing the cover of Pulp's "Common People" (which is funny as anything, but works really well, especially towards the end) I thought it was going to be packed with covers with Bill talking over some of Ben Folds' piano noodlings.
I was wrong. Thankfully.
From start to end, I was totally shocked at how good the record was. From "I Can't Get Behind That", a joint rant between the Shat and Henry Rollins(!) of all people, to "That's Me Trying", a rather poignant piece about a father who'd lost touch with his daughter and was trying to fix it; Shatner's lyrics (poems? stories?) are heartfelt, funny, touching and completely honest, and I've all the more respect for the man for it. Ben Folds' production and performance (as well as the performances from the rest of the guests) are both brilliant, and from your first listen to any track other than "Common People", you can tell it's him behind the desk as well as behind the piano (or Rhodes, or organ, or keyboard, etc etc :D)
All in all, I'd say that if you want something a bit different to listen to, something that veers so far left of the mainstream that it's got its own little river of its own - get this NOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 18 Jan 2006
This review is from: Has Been (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to hearing this album. I wanted to play it to my friends and laugh "at" the actor turned singer wannabee. And to a certain extent I did. The sheer pretentiousness of it all. The knowledge that anyone with half a brain (singing voice not necessarily required) could have recorded this album. But I doubt there are few people who could do it like Will.
After five minutes of sniggering and pouring ridicule at the stereo I found myself holding my breath, waiting for the next slab of absolute cheese. As the Amazon Review says, there's a fine line between Genius and Idiocy, and I've ended up reassessing which side of the line Mr Shatner falls on.
I think part of it is the genuine honesty with which he attacks each song. He doesn't try to warble along, but instead recites the lines like poetry. After two or three tracks the style ceases to sound ridiculous and becomes oddly captivating.
My favourites have to be "You'll Have Time" and "I Can't Get Behind That", the former being a reminder that we'll all be eventually pushing up the daisies, the latter an ode to pet hates and rebellion against modern convention. "I am who I am and I don't care" being a rough stab at WM's motto.
The only low point in the album for me was the song about him discovering his wife's body. I'm sure he could argue that this was a deep personal experience for him, but I can't help but think it was still a little in poor taste.
So when would be the best time to play this album? If you've come home from work, had a bad day, and think everyone takes life too seriously then throw this on. I think it puts a lot of the stupid stuff in perspective and reminds you why you chase the important things.

ARRAY(0xba8d799c)