5.0 out of 5 stars Superb power/prog metal
I simply cannot praise this band enough. I absolutely loved Mercy Falls, and I love this album too. Their music is some of the best i've ever heard in my life. Before I get too general in my review, I will point out some of the finer points of this album.

Published on 9 Jun 2011 by T Williamson

2.0 out of 5 stars PROG METAL
Published on 13 Dec 2010 by Banca Comerciala Romana

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb power/prog metal, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Great Escape (MP3 Download)

Although this album might not have many tracks (nevertheless, due to the length of the title track, it is actually normal length), it is very well-written and lacks quality in no way at all. Every song is simply fantastic.

Quite simply, you can not go wrong with this album (unless you hate power/progressive metal, but then I doubt you would even be looking at this album if that were the case). There are the stand-out tracks, as in any album, but, exceptionally, with this album (and, being devil's advocate, it's perhaps made easier because there are distinctly fewer tracks), there are no songs which I would voluntarily skip to get to another. Every song is good, in fact, not just good, but undescribably excellent.

Whilst this album is perhaps not as "creative" as Mercy Falls (bearing in mind that album was a concept album with a very emotionally deep story-line), it still has some very quality power/progressive metal with resoundingly epic vocals and music. Some excellent solo's and orchestral passages make for one fantastic fourth instalment to this band's very credible discography. The title track is, however, very musically creative in my opinion and, at thirty minutes long, arguably it has to be in order to keep you listening for that long! It is, in my opinion, quite a daring attempt that comes off very well indeed.

This band has really left its mark with me. May they continue to write music like this. Buy this album !!! - I can't suggest that with enough enthusiasm because, quite frankly, if I could give this album 10 stars I would with pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars SW take a strident step towards being a true powerhouse in prog metal, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
One of a true new breed of progressive metallers adding their own sound to the genre are arguably Sweden's leaders in the genre Seventh Wonder. "The Great Escape" marks the bands fourth release following up the hugely successful "Mercy Falls".

As a long-time fan of the band I can safely say this is the best release yet from the band, certainly the best in terms of delivering an identifiable sound of their own. Led by the charismatic vocals of Tommy Karevik, the band perform melodic laden, yet instrumentally rich and exciting music from the opener "Wiseman" with its strident metallic delivery to the bona-fide epic closing 30 minute title track; which despite its intimidating track length delivers on all fronts. But what sets this album apart from predecessor is that despite all the first class musicianship on offer (from every member no less), it's the songs that ultimately shine though. Alley Cat" has a deliciously swooping chorus refrain, the AOR inflections in "The Angelmaker" contrast nicely with the darker elements of the track whilst the melodic content again shines on "Move On Through" which has a tremendous groove in the riff department. Overall there is something to really enjoy on every track.

Production wise this is solid, again the best yet from the band, and everything is nicely audible which makes hearing the likes of Andreas Blomqvist's exquisite bass work in its full glory just another joy of the album.

`Mercy Falls' saw Seventh Wonder come of age. "The Great Escape" sees them take a strident step towards being a true powerhouse in the prog metal genre and comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant release from Swedish melodic progmasters, 7 May 2011
J. T. Buksa "guitarrizer" (World Wide Web) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
This is definitely another brilliant release from Swedeish melodic progmasters. Probably not so catchy as "Mercy Falls" was but we still have many tasty tunes here. For example, "Wiseman" doesn't go too far from the style of "Mercy Falls" album, it even sounds like taken from the same record session. The chorus from "Alley Cat" has probably everything to become a big hit. Other songs have their big moments as well. I can listen to the bass solos from "Move On Through" on and on. The title track is very pleasant song with many tempo changes and with few different moods. For Seventh Wonder fans it's a "must have".

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
I really can't understand the 2 star review for this album - unless the reviewer had maybe reviewed it after just one listen? I wasn't totally convinced after 1 play - I liked it ok but it's complex enough to take time to grab you. But after 3 or 4 listens - wow! It suddenly really kicked in and now parts of it are in my head all the time. The vocals are amazing and the song structures, the music, the tumble of lyrics - it's all excellent, powerful stuff,and the 30 minute epic space opera concept The Great Escape track is incredible and very moving. Just intelligent, perfect music, this. And personally my favourite SW album - but they're all great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
I discovered this band just a couple of nights ago. As soon as I heard the first few words of 'Alley Cat' I knew that this band was incredible. Tommy Karevik's voice is stunning. I bought this album and Mercy Falls and I have not stopped listening to them since. His voice gives me chills. The music gives me chills. Every song just gives me chills.

There is not a song on this album that I disliked in any way and the 30 minute long title track is eerie and beautiful. I have shown Alley Cat to as many people as possible and everyone I know loves it.

Just buy it. You won't be disappointed in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their best,but still very good, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
I don't agree with the previous reviewer.This may not be as good as 'Mercy Falls' but it is still excellent.As with most progressive metal albums it takes a few spins to really get into.This album is heavier than Mercy falls and the production is also much improved.The title track 'The great escape' which is just over 30 minutes long is one of the best long tracks I've ever heard.It doesn't get boring as there are so many different elements involved.I recommend this album to anyone who enjoys bands like Darkwater ,Dream Theater & Symphony X.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant soon to be classic, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
This album is absolutely brilliant the playing on it is phenominal from the drummer to the keyboardist The bass playing is complex but groovy the guitar playing is delicate but heavy and complex too The Keyboards are subtle but also vastly important adding much layers and melody to the music the drumming adds a really strong groove too although they have been pushed back in the mix a little bit too much I would have pulled them forward a touch the snare gets lost in a few places. Tommy's Vocals are powerful angelic soaring vocals of brilliant nature with fantastic stories and catchy refrains. There is also a 30 minute epic track at the end that is actually rememberable

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
As soon as you put on the first track you can immediately tell that it's Seventh Wonder, they have such a recognisable and unique style, with Tommy's vocals it's just...WOW!! It was an xmas gift for my dad and he was thrilled to recieve it, I also cheekily put it on my iPOD and I haven't stopped listening to it since. I really hope these guys make it full-time because they deserve it. Buy this album and you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Escape is "A MASTERPIECE", 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Great Escape (MP3 Download)
This is a masterpiece!! An excellent album to introduced to the band with. Gives me an appetite to discover the other albums by this awesome band.

2.0 out of 5 stars PROG METAL, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Great Escape (Audio CD)
MUCH ANTICIPATED 4TH OPUS FROM THIS SWEDISH PROG METAL BAND ,HIGHLY PROMOTED BY THE FANTASTIC SINGLE "ALLEY CAT" , IT'S A BIG FLOP.THE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY IT'S OBVIOUS BETWEEN THIS SONG AND THE REST OF THE ALBUM.COMPOSITIONS ARE PREDICTABLE , BORING , WIRED , UNFINISHED, WITHOUT ANY CATCHY ELEMENTS.DESPITE ANY OTHER OPINION I THINK "THE GREAT ESCAPE" IT'S A STEP BACK IN THEIR CAREER, AFTER 3 GREAT ALBUMS.I REALLY WANT TO LOVE THIS RECORD BUT I CAN'T BE HYPOCRITE.I HOPE THE 5TH CD WILL BE A RETURN TO FORM. WORTH TO LISTEN BUT SAVE YOUR MONEY IN THE POCKET.

The Great Escape