5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've bought this year!!
Published 21 months ago by G Rees

1.0 out of 5 stars It just won't do......
Really not a good "album" at all. Very poor fare from the once alright Ms James.This "album" is NOT going to sell at all is it? You'd be better off with one of the myriad Transvision Tramp compilations to be honest. At least they had tunes.
Published on 29 May 2011 by Max Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've bought this year!!, 25 Oct 2012
G Rees (uk) - See all my reviews
Its true. This album is the best I've bought so far this year. I must admit I didn't have high hopes, so listened to a couple of tracks online and was impressed. I just had to get it. Wendy James has had a bad time with the press, but I think if they took time to actually listen to this they'd be hard pushed to criticize. Wendy enlisted Elvis Costello to help write her first solo album, this one is all her own work, but it kinda sounds like she enlisted Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer! Her voice is still as strong as ever. The music veers from garage rock to 60s girl group with punk, pop and country thrown in for good measure. I wouldn't be surprised if any of these songs turned up in a Quentin Tatantino film. Its good intelligent Rock N Roll - the type you rarely get these days. When I say its the best album I've bought so far this year I really mean it. I've bought about 50 CDs including big hitters like Jack White, Muse and Lana Del Ray. Wendy James' is far more vital than any of those. Trust me on this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wendy James - I cam here to blow minds, 19 Jun 2013
I was pretty impressed with this album, and liked it more immediately than 'Now Ain't the Time for your Tears'. Good and lively, a decent range of styles and reasonable (if not amazingly deep) lyrics. I've had it a couple of weeks and listened to it 4 or 5 times and like it a bit more each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily Wendy's best output to date, 19 May 2011
Having been a fan of Wendy's work with Transvision Vamp as well as her solo album "Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears", and, perhaps to a lesser extent, her work with/as Racine, I was eagerly awaiting what many have touted as Ms. James first "proper" album, "I Came Here To Blow Minds". I was not to be disappointed. This album marks the best output to come from Wendy. The music veers from electro-accoustic, to accoustic-electro, spliced with meaningul, heartfelt lyrics on tracks such as the sublime "These Beggar Memories" and the wonderful "Don't Shoot - I Ain't Dillinger", among the rollicking barn burners including the amazing "Speedball", "No Dice" and the fantastically titled "New Wave Flowered Up Main Street Acid Baby". Wendy's voice is on better form than ever, sliding from punk, to soul-searching, post-modern whimsical balladry and just damned good playful rock-pop (as evidenced on the quirky "You're a f***ing Mess, But You Sure Is Pretty" and the hook-laden "King Hoodlum"). The production is slick, smooth, but not overly-so as to make it sound too "corporate"; it's as if, on this record, James has merged the two Racine albums (the stark, minimalism of "Number One" and the gritty, garage sound of "Racine 2")with the simple, raw deliciousness of the b-sides from the "Now Ain't..." singles (for those of you lucky enough to have heard them), augmented with sweeping strings and punctuated with stabbing guitar riffs and electro snaps. The result? A perfect LP for 2011 audiences, both long time Wendy fans and new audiences. The opening track, "The Moon Dead in the River" alone is certainly enough to keep people wanting to hear more. This album proves that Wendy James is no mere footnote in pop's history and hopefully will continue to blow minds with masterpieces such as this for some time to come. Well recommended.

(I'm sure I'll be subjected to a barage of moronic, monosyllabic insults from our good friend Dbaby, e.g. one "liners" spread out over four million pages which mean precisely nothing, serving only as a purpose to highlight his bitterness since Wendy sacked him, but in the words of a certain song..."Baby, I don't care...")

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 14 Mar 2014
Really good album. Good tunes. Like the lyrics as well. The songs are like best are The Moon Dead in the River, Don't Shoot I Aint Dillenger, King Hoodlum and These Beggar Memories. I've liked all of the modern Wendy James stuff such as Racine. This is a bit of a different style to those so its good to see she is trying out new ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wendy is Great, 16 July 2012
'I come here to blow minds' is great.

i loved Wendy in the Transvision Vamp when i was growing up, so sexy then and still fabulus now!

'Moon dead in the river' is my favourite track and i realy like 'Speedball' a terrific rocking track, there's a youtube video of Wendy doing 'Speedball' just Google it. Not a bad track on the album and lots of variety in musical styles.

On Wendy's Facebook there is news about a new album being made, i can't wait!

Rock on Girl luv Ya!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not bad..., 9 Jan 2012
I heard Wendy James for the first time by buying this cd and it was a surprise.
I was used to hear the Transvision Vamp and this work is very diferent.
The way lyrics are combined with the music is very strange at first. I needed to hear the album a couple of times to actually enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise ....., 26 Sep 2013
I was aware of Transvision Vamp in my more youthful years (OK I'll be honest - particularly Wendy James!).
I liked the music, plenty of zest - good motorway driving music. But I never bought the records.
Stumbled upon this album and decided to take a chance.
Love it. Plenty of variety and style and the innate energy and expression from Wendy and the band (a very tight outfit) is obvious.
Highly recommended, my most frequently played album at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars CONSIDER MY MIND BLOWN, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: I Came Here To Blow Minds (MP3 Download)
For anyone that may've liked bits or even all of the 2 racine cds,this really shows where Wendy was heading with them. Every track on here is something i'm happy to listen to again and again,nothing is bland or just not worthy of inclusion in my opinion.
Some tracks take you way back to the days of T VAMP,with the vocals and even the music. There are quite a few fast rock 'n' roll tracks on here,but also a few slower ones just to even it all out a bit.
Wendy's vocals really are something special on this album,and the rockier tracks are just sublime.
With songs like YOU TELL ME and YOU'RE A F**KING MESS -BUT YOU SURE IS PRETTY,this really should become a classic,but with the music world being as odd as it is,it probably won't.
I always believed she would come back with something to really knock your socks off one day,and sure enough... here it is.
She said she's come here to blow minds,and with material like this... she just might!

5.0 out of 5 stars WENDY'S BRILLIANT!, 18 May 2011
Just to point out,i have already reviewed this album as a download if you want something more in depth.
The truth is the album is full of top quality material,with the hints of racine 1 + 2's brilliant originality very much coming into fruition.
Some songs hark back to the days of TRANSVISION VAMP,both musically and vocally (MUNICIPAL BLUES being one of the best in my opinion) which is no bad thing for anyone who has an interest in Wendy. Her vocals are very strong on the tracks here,showing she does indeed know how to carry a tune,both softly and with venom.
Tracks such as SPEEDBALL,NO DICE,YOU TELL ME and YOU'RE A F***ING MESS BUT YOU SURE IS PRETTY are top,killer riff songs that deserve recognition as being up there with the best music around today!
I can't recommend this album enough.
True,you may not be impressed,but if intrigued don't judge before listening.
She came here to blow minds,give her a chance to blow yours.

1.0 out of 5 stars It just won't do......, 29 May 2011