5.0 out of 5 stars Epic
Published on 26 Jan. 2011 by MrE

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot Hot Hot
First time to use an intel cpu in decades... always used an AMD in the past but chose to go with Intel after lots of good reviews and claims that this range of intel is better than the AMD.
So far, not noticed much difference between my previous old dual core AMD and the intel i5 except temperature. Using the stock fan this thing just burns far too hot especially if...
Published on 15 May 2012 by Nym

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 26 Jan. 2011
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) (Accessory)
I recently purchased this chip and overclocked it to 4.5Ghz which seems to be the highest you can go and still call it Stable!! It's epic and for the money its the best by far out of the new processors coming on the market from Intel. The chip runs quite cool and has low energy consumption compared to its predecessor. Just to clarify its a quad core with 6mb "smart" cache running at 3.3 stock, be warned though if you want to overclock you must get the 2500K version NOT the standard 2500 which is locked and can't be overclocked! Even if Overclocking is not you're thing, this processor will be more than good enough running at stock speeds!

Highly Recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Amazing!, 18 Jan. 2012
J. Marshall "Tib" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just installed one of these into my upgraded system and wow...I used a CoolerMaster EVO CPU fan and was able to overclock it from the stock 3.3GHz to 4.5GHz.

Idle temps are about 20°C and under load about 30°C. That is unreal for a 37% overclock. Completely stable and super snappy. All I need to get now is a nice SSD for my System drive and this machine will be insanely fast.

Unless you are doing a lot of heavy video editing or photo editing, I would definitely recommend this over the i7 2600K. Keep the £100 and invest in an SSD to go with your i5 2500K. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The CPU King, 27 Feb. 2012
The Intel i5 2500k really is an incredible CPU. For under £170 nothing else comes close. It's impressively power efficient and runs at a very reasonable temperature. Yet more importantly its performance is staggering- a genuine tour-de-force from Intel.

To start it overclocks brilliantly- a stable 5 GHz is possible with a good air cooler, whilst 4.7 or 4.8 GHz is a perfectly achievable everyday overclock, which should avoid excessively high voltages. That said you don't even need to overclock it in order to get good performance- its architecture and IPC are both brilliant and as such it offers great performance even at stock frequencies. The turbo feature is also very useful for anyone who doesn't fancy- or really need- an overclock.

Furthermore it bulldozes through applications (AMD can't hope to match it unfortunately) and is sensationally good in games. Just google 'i5 2500k reviews' and have a look at some of the benchmarks recorded. Sensational.

I remember being shocked when the i5 2500k was first released a year ago- despite costing a fraction of the price it gave the beastly £800 Intel hexacore i7 980x a decent run for its money, even managing to surpass it in less multi-threaded applications. I couldn't believe that Intel could possibly sell a £200 CPU which could match their king-of-the-hill £800 hexacore. This concept made no economic sense. And a whole year later the i5 2500k still remains the unchallenged mid-range king. The perfect trade-off between price and performance (much more of the latter). A remarkable achievement indeed. It even fares well against Intel's newest extreme hexacores (LGA 2011) which easily cost three or four times as much. The i5 2500k isn't the fastest CPU in the market (although it isn't too far off...), yet it offers by far the best value for money.

I used around about twelve of these brilliant CPUs in 2011- I used them in every single rig I made, for myself, for friends and for family- all were centred around the black magic of the i5 2500k.

So there you have it- as 2012 commences it appears there still isn't any worthy challenger to the i5 2500k. Someone bring me a bucket- I'm going to need a whole lot more of these :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Processor, 5 July 2012
Paul (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
The Core i5 2500K Is an absolutely brilliant processor, it is so damn fast, and is a worthy upgrade from a Core i5 750 that I had before, it overclocks like a beast, in 5 minutes I went from the stock 3.3GHz to 4.5Ghz just by changing the multiplier and upping the Vcore voltage by a very tiny amount and then rebooting, it's so easy to overclock Sandy Bridge that it's just about a no brainer to do so.

I could easily hit 4.8GHz or even higher, but I have no need to go any higher than what I have already as it is so fast at 4.5GHz.

It blows away my i5 750 for anything, using Xvid4PSP version 5.0 the 2500K can encode a mp3 file from WAV or WMA at a peak speed of over 1000FPS, whereas my i5 750 could barely manage 600FPS tops, and in testing using Intel Burn Test my i5 750 peaked at about 58GFlops, whereas my i5 2500K reaches over 115GFlops and sometimes even higher.

I haven't had much chance to play games as I only have the HD3000 graphics atm but I can guarantee that if I put in my HD5750 it would be easily 20%+ faster than my old system despite using the same graphics card.

When using Skype with my old processor the usage was at around 25 to 35%, with the 2500K my processor usage sits at less than 10% and most of the time it's at 5% or less, and yet there's no loss in quality from either end of the video call and in fact I'd say the quality is even better.

It's the best processor when it comes to price to performance ratio and it can even keep up with the Sandy Bridge-E processors in some cases, and if that isn't testament to this processors amazing ability then nothing is.

The cpu cooler it comes with though is really really bad, so if you're buying this processor, then please buy something better to cool it with, I used the stock cooler at first cause I needed some new thermal paste for my H50, and the processor at stock was hitting over 90 degrees celcius at which point I had to end the stress test, cause it was just 8 degrees away from TJMax, once I got the H50 on it at stock speeds the processor sits at just 45 degrees at full load, and at 4.5GHz it reaches about 76 degrees, which is way better.

If you're not bothered about Ivy Bridge then Sandy Bridge is the mutts nuts, but with Ivy Bridge out it's better to go with that.

I would highly recommend this processor or it's newer brother the i5 3570K, which although it doesn't overclock as high, once overclocked to 4.3GHz Ivy Bridge will run rings around Sandy Bridge at 4.5GHz, and use less power as well.

The bottom line is that the Core i5 Sandy Bridge processors are extremely fast, amazing overclockers, unbelievably efficient and for the price are some of the very best processors Intel has ever released, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than a speeding bullet, 16 April 2012
A. Gordon (UK) - See all my reviews
Just done a new build and have upgraded from an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8ghz which has served me well for the last 3yrs.This however is a whole new ballgame and boy am i pleased with it.Married it to a Gigabyte Z68 Rev2.o board an artic cooler7 pro and 8Gb corsair vengance 1600mhz DDr3 and an OCZ Agility 2 Series - Solid state drive - 120 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - anodized and boy can this baby fly. I knew I needed some more power but man i never realised how slooow I was.Even my video rendering is cut in half as I like to download movies and put them on to dvd to watch on the big screen.I have noticed some reviews saying this cpu is not for video converting but I can tell you the time it takes me has now been halved and my old cpu was built for it.I have even been overclocking it albeit just a tad as its so easy but dont do what I did and use the easy bios upgrade as I knacked my system and had to go on to the gigabyte site using my laptop download the bios put it on a fat32 usb stick go into the bios and do it properly.You have been warned lol.I also upgraded my old Ge force 8800gts graphics card to a AMD radeon 6850 HD and got a WEI of 7.7 out the box.The slowest I have on the WEI is 7.6 thats for my CPU and SSD My memory was 7.7 out the box but after turning up the settings in bios to 1600 it is now 7.9 I am going to try over clocking the cpu a bit more to see what this puppy can do but the cooler I have is maybay not up to the task and after messing up the bios I am a little wary for the moment .I am playing BF3 at the mo and it is so smooth with settings on HD and maxed out.Over all I am well chuffed with my new set up .To sum up its worth every penny spent.Will need to start saving for my next build in 3 yrs.Wonder what they will have out by then lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong!, 31 Jan. 2014
Mike1984 (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
A year and a half later still going strong, overclocked too 4.3GHz with a third party £20 fan cooler unit well under the max voltage and heat safety limit. I would push it further in the future if need be but even now I can't see any need to replace the CPU for another two years. The bottleneck is with my GPU not the CPU. This is the best future proof component I have ever purchased for a PC, I still can't get my head around what good value this was for what you get in return with a little effort and know how which is all over the internet for this CPU. Go out and get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155), 4 Feb. 2012
Hi all
I matched this CPU up with a ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V, 8gb RAM Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz, and a asus 570 gtx Direct CU II
This CPU hit 4.4 out of the box and it was the temps that stoped it from going anymore im on air at the mo but water cooling will get it higher.

The stock fan and heatsink i got with this was only good for 3.3 temps were ok.
If you are going to run this CPU at stock 3.3 with the stock fan and heatsink, you should get the 2500 not the 2500k, as there are the same CPU just the k you can overclock.
If you going for the K to overclock then the stock fan and heatsink are no good, you will need to get a good aftermarket cooler water or air.

My cooler is a ASUS Silent Square EVO i had to mod the bracket to get it to fit but im going to get a watercooling kit and run on that see what i get from that.
If you are looking for a cheap air cooler the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is as good as mine if not better.

Im very happy with this CPU if you are out looking for a fast CPU for gaming this is the one to get.
In battlefield 3 on ultra settings at stock 3.3 with my setup, i get about 40 to 60 fps ingame.
When i put it to 4.4 i get 70 to 90 fps ingame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Product and great customer service, 23 Dec. 2011
Ordered last week but never came, spoke to Amazon and they sent a replacement straight away frist class. Very impressed with their customer service.

Anyway got this setup with my gigabyte z68 motherboard, 16GB RAM and clocked at 4.2ghz and runs a treat! Great product!!! if you are gaming this is the CPU for you. I used to be an AMD man, but unfortunately they have fell behind intel and this awesome chip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely and then some, 8 April 2011
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Other reviews have covered all the important stuff, so there is not much to add except, you need to ensure you buy the unlocked version of this Processor. In layman terms, this device really does do a good job, especially if you are multi-tasking - as it can handle most applications you throw at it, in some respects this second generation Processor surpasses the first generation Core i7 Processors

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years going strong, 25 April 2014
Bought this in 2011 and its still going strong now (2014), got it when I built my PC which was used for gaming and some design work. Multi tasks really well. Running multiple monitors and applications/games at the same time and it still benchmarks very highly.
Have had no problems running a variety of games on max settings usually around a constant 50-80 FPS. Would highly recommend.