4.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'The Pilgrim' by Shaun Davey

1.0 out of 5 stars Plain awful
Published on 22 Oct 2009 by Linden Arden

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'The Pilgrim' by Shaun Davey, 24 Oct 2003
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
A wonderful and inspiring feast of Celtic music. Varied instrumental, choral and solo pieces. The track 'The Deer's Cry' based on the words of St Patrick's Breastplate sung in a strong ,clear voice contains meaningful,spiritual words and indeed is a beautiful piece of reflective music.A gentle beginning reaching a powerful finale . Definitely worth mentioning.It can reduce a hundred people to silence and awe.This is not the only track that cries out to be listened to!Lots of varied styles of song and music.
If you are interested in your celtic culture & origins and are a spiritual,reflective being this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 73 minutes of bliss, 3 Jun 2008
Wezzy (North Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
Content, production, performance - all of the highest quality. A very good mix of instruments and voices, wonderfully put together and a real addition to any collection of Celtic music.
I have had this CD myself for the last 12 years and have yet to find anyone who has not been bowled over by it. Thoroughly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars The Pilgrim, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
This is a delightful album with a variety of instrumental and vocal music as well as the spoken word. The track "The Deer's Song" alone makes the purchase worth every penny - truly inspiring!

4.0 out of 5 stars And I'm definitely not disappointed. The whole spread of this diverse music will ..., 6 July 2014
A sensational discovery

Irish folk music has always been close to my heart, but it has taken me till now to discover Rita Connolly on a radio programme. The song was ,of course, The Deers Cry. By Shaun Davey they told me.the beauty.of Rita's voice and the quality of the music made me explore further
I was not unlucky. The narrative,the choirs and the widespread music qualifies the Pilgrim as not just an opera but also as a charming tale of rare beauty. I bought the disk then on the chance that I might find another album for my collection. Well I have, in fact I have found a a wealth of Rita's & Shauns music to listen to and digest.
And I'm definitely not disappointed. The whole spread of this diverse music will never let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pilgrim CD, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because I heard the track The Deer's Cry on the radio and I eventually found it on this CD. If the Deer's Cry was the only track I liked on this CD it would still be well worth buying but thankfully I like the whole CD. In fact I have now bought 3 and passed two on to other people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pilgrim CD, 3 Mar 2010
Mr. Peter A. Boak (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
A good variety on the CD. I bought it after I heard 'The Deer's Cry' on Radio Cymru recently

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy listening to it, 24 Nov 2014
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
thanks. Anne M A. It is lovely, I really enjoy listening to it. A.M.A.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plain awful, 22 Oct 2009
Linden Arden (Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilgrim (Audio CD)
After the classic Brendan Voyage, that I have bought in all media form and played for years, I was really looking forward to listening to Pilgrim. What a huge disappointment. Tuneless, boring, bagpipes (gimme a break), choirs, monologues and what's the brilliant Liam O'Flynn wasting his time for playing on absolute tripe like this. It's live. I guess you had to be there. Glad I wasn't. But for a sheer Shaun Davey - atmospheric - classic and with Liam O'Flynn's sublime pipes, stick with The Brendan Voyage.

The Pilgrim