on 22 April 2013
Just received the book today after awaiting for it eagerly, first shock was the size - it's tiny little book. Secondly - long chapter on where to place your dehydrator? Really, how daft exactly does this lady thinks her readers are?
I gave it two stars and not one, because there are couple of occasional recepies that are useful, but majority are from the school of bleeding obvious. Like, recepie for sundried tomatoes, literally: cut your tomatoes, place in dehydrator, here you have dry tomatoes. Erm Duh!
So basically, I got this book to give me ideas and inspiration and instead I was left wondering if ether the whole world is a lot dafter than I suspected, or I am some kind of genius. I got more inspiration from the manual I got with my dehydrator.
on 4 December 2012
I recieved this book today and reading through it was quite an eye opener, I have had a Fruit and Vegetable Dryer before but only used to dry fruit/vegetables and herbs as I had no idea the extent it could be used in making every day dried/raw foods. I havent as yet used the book (apart from reading it)as I am waiting for our new Food Dehydrator to arrive. I am going to have so much fun with this book and almost all the recipe ideas are suitable for Backpacking/Camping so no more having to buy specialist (and over priced) food packs. I will add to this review when the Dehydrator arrives and I have road tested some of the recipes etc.

I added this on Saturday 15 December 2012 ...... The Food Dehydrator arrived on Monday of last week so I have now had a chance to use the book, the recipes and instructions are very easily followed and although some of the ingredients are termed in American, by using Google you can find the UK names easily and most are easily sourced either from specialist wholefood stores, supermarkets or general Asian/Carribean/Chinese food stores. The recipes are clearly laid out with simple instructions for making them. There is one thing thing I would point out though and that is that some of the foods need to spend over 24 hours being dehydrated which would mean leaving the dehydrator on for long periods both during the day and over night so I feel that for safety you should check exactly how long you can run your dehydrator safely before it either cuts out or the machine is damaged through over use (I can safely run mine for 40 hours continuously). As this is a Raw Food book it is essential that everything is spotlessly clean and food is as fresh as possible. I have so far made Pancakes and Plant Leathers using the book with great success, both being eaten within minutes of leaving the Dehydrator. This book is something that will get a lot of use especially the Pancake and Cracker section.
on 29 July 2011
What a super little book (slim paperback, 116 pages). Mine came free with my new Excalibur 9 tray hydrator & I must say there are some lovely recipes contained within. They cover a wide range, the chapters include:

1 Dehydrating fundamentals
2 Fruits & veggies
3 Nuts & seeds
4 Pancakes, crackers, breads & wraps
5 Special dehydrated ingredients
Appendix A: raw basics
Appendix B: resources

I am quite new to raw foods & dehydrating, & on a steep learning curve, although I have a large number of books on the subject which I am still digesting. This one was a surprise, it sits quite quietly on Amazon & does not show up with the big boys such as Raw Food Real Food (excellent)yet I was delighted to find that it had some very good ideas & a large number of recipes I can see would be really delicious. I cannot wait to dry dehydrating the Savoury Garlic Zucchini (courgette) Noodles amongst many others.

If you are worried that I have not made any of the recipes yet, since I only received the book & hydrator today, fear not, I am a Home Economist & quite used to being able to translate a recipe into real life in my head by reading its ingredients & method (over 30 years of practice at this).

I am so impressed with this little book, which is packed with info & recipes, that I am looking into ordering some of Kirsten's other books, of which she appear to have at least another 10!

Edited to add on 18:03:2012...the spicy kale chips are fantastic.

Katy Thompson - Home Economist & Aga Cookery Demonstrator
on 27 April 2012
Ok I am 70 never dehydrated anything ever and this book is a cracking read.FUll of good recepies and something which is often lacking a realy good appendix (hope I spelt that right!)Descriptions of many of the ingredients which I have never heard of and what they do , so you can sometimes find a simpler substitute.I have made 8 of the reciepies so far with total and tasty sucess,What more can you expect from a book?
David T
on 23 May 2014
I bought this because of the good reviews. I'm very disappointed with this book. The recipes - if you can call them that - are poor. I've found much better recipes on the internet. Don't waste your money on this book. It doesn't even have the staple snack recipe of crispy kale.... Poor. :(
on 11 July 2014
I didnt realise that it was american measures, so you have to google those to change to imperial or metric (depending on your age) and then page after page is the same recipe just changing the main ingredient....If I'd known that once you know the principle of dehydrating one fruit you know the principal for all of them. Waste of money
on 16 July 2015
A bit disappointing but I think that has more to do with my expectations than anything wrong with the book itself. Nothing grabbed my attention as I flicked through and I had hoped to spot a couple of things that inspired me to try something new.
on 14 May 2012
I would highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn more about dehydrating - it is simple and easy to follow and has some fabulous ideas.
on 19 June 2014
Suffers a little from its American origins and tie ins to the author's website and specific American retailers, but that's a niggle rather than a reason not to gain insight into an alternate 'cooking' method and eating regime.
on 10 August 2014
Really good for snack ideas and bread alternatives.

Easy receives and quick to put together, especially good for the dehydrator as I try and fill the nine trays when I've got it on so I do a lot of batch cooking