5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best
Published on 9 April 2011 by David Bret

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
I'd seen rave reviews about this and had heard her on Later so decided to widen my horizons and buy this album.

Published on 4 Jun 2011 by AndyBuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
Just now she was fairly badly criticized on Radio Three--the reviewers said that in nine years she has not progressed as far as they expected. This is what happens when one reaches the point of genius. I think I knew, the very first time I heard Mariza, that she was not going to be just another of the dozens of "also rans" searching for glory in the wake of the death of Amalia Rodrigues, most of which have fallen by the wayside--Amalia was one of the three greatest singers who ever lived, the others being Piaf and French singer Barbara. Mariza is the best female fado singer around, period. She is a simple, uncomplicated woman, who puts a song over like no one else. Even if she sang the telephone directory, backwards, under water, she would STILL be the best. She emulates no one, and she will go from strength to strength!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
A return to basics after the increasingly lavish productions of her recent releases. I do like the experiments Mariza has been making but have to say this return to a simpler style really shows what a stunning singer she is.
The CD is relatively short - 10 tracks over 35 minutes. But actually that is just perfect.
The recording quality is amazing and the instrumentation is simple and uncluttered; 2 acoustic guitars (Portugese and Fado, whatever that is?) and acoustic bass. This really allows Mariza's voice to shine as it twists and spirals above the instruments.
Despite the generally melancholic nature of fado, these songs are actually quite fast paced, especially the guitars, which does allow the vocal to float, soar and reach to places not usually heard in western music.
Mariza really does silence those critics who have said she is just style and marketing over substance.
Just listen to those amazing rolling Rs on Dona RRRRRRRosa. There's also a wonderful highlight (on I think it was - Al, Esta Pena De Min) where Mariza's vocal begins the track unaccompanied. The space around her vocal and the phrasing is astonishing, and makes me listen with extra care to the other tracks to truly appreciate how she masters timing and phrasing. A guitar finally joins in with little bursts, 3 or 4 times, before the other players also join to fill out the sound.
So, the CD is short but so perfect and so beautiful, that any more would be too much.
Perfect, perfect, perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars back to traditional, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
Have seriously listened to this work (it's not immediately appealing, slightly dour at first in fact) but now consider it to be a most serious and worthwhile work. The BBC (in their wisdom!) put Mariza singing the relatively trivial `Dona Rosa' on Jules Holland, what a travesty, might has well put on Barenboim as a side act to Adele! I saw Moriza's performance at the NRCM Manchester, a more appropriate venue for this profound quasi-classical music.

From the heights of the legendary `Concerto em Lisboa' after a while we have withdrawn to the studio to record this very personal music. A Portuguese `Winterreise' almost, with tributes to Amalia amongst others. Well done Mariza (and your brilliant musicians) you're a genius, you seem to be able to get into the soul of all these songs. After you I can hardly listen to anyone else!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariza: Traditional Fado CD, 28 Nov 2011
Dr. D. M. Jones (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
An excellent recording of fado. Really shows that Mariza can sing the solid traditional fado, as well as be innovative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariza is a star, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
We love Mariza's music - she has real power in her voice and brings out the best in Fado music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something new!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
Our first experience of Fado. Quite delightful and superbly produced. being played at regular intervals through the day. Favourite sound for our dog!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 13 Mar 2011
What can you say?

A brilliant album of the classical fado without embellishment sung by the one of the best voices around

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)

I'm not immediately converted. There's no dispute over her voice and the clarity of sound ... I'm just not sure whether this is for me. I will give it several more plays to see if it grows on me, but have the feeling this will only have an airing as background music when we invite people round for a bite to eat.

Apologies to people who love this music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good really, 23 Feb 2013
Peter Hodgson (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
Not so good as previous Mariza CDs, but still good. What else am I supposed to say for now? Eh?

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the wrong choice to start, 7 Nov 2012
D. Collard-Berry (West Sussex/Surrey/Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fado Tradicional (Audio CD)
Probably bought the wrong CD, I enjoyed watching the "Portuguese Nun", the music in that was great so I thought I should have some Fado, it's alright but perhaps the wrong choice

Fado Tradicional
Fado Tradicional by Mariza (Audio CD - 2011)