Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 April 2011
Just now she was fairly badly criticized on Radio Three--the reviewers said that in nine years she has not progressed as far as they expected. This is what happens when one reaches the point of genius. I think I knew, the very first time I heard Mariza, that she was not going to be just another of the dozens of "also rans" searching for glory in the wake of the death of Amalia Rodrigues, most of which have fallen by the wayside--Amalia was one of the three greatest singers who ever lived, the others being Piaf and French singer Barbara. Mariza is the best female fado singer around, period. She is a simple, uncomplicated woman, who puts a song over like no one else. Even if she sang the telephone directory, backwards, under water, she would STILL be the best. She emulates no one, and she will go from strength to strength!
on 9 January 2011
A return to basics after the increasingly lavish productions of her recent releases. I do like the experiments Mariza has been making but have to say this return to a simpler style really shows what a stunning singer she is.
The CD is relatively short - 10 tracks over 35 minutes. But actually that is just perfect.
The recording quality is amazing and the instrumentation is simple and uncluttered; 2 acoustic guitars (Portugese and Fado, whatever that is?) and acoustic bass. This really allows Mariza's voice to shine as it twists and spirals above the instruments.
Despite the generally melancholic nature of fado, these songs are actually quite fast paced, especially the guitars, which does allow the vocal to float, soar and reach to places not usually heard in western music.
Mariza really does silence those critics who have said she is just style and marketing over substance.
Just listen to those amazing rolling Rs on Dona RRRRRRRosa. There's also a wonderful highlight (on I think it was - Al, Esta Pena De Min) where Mariza's vocal begins the track unaccompanied. The space around her vocal and the phrasing is astonishing, and makes me listen with extra care to the other tracks to truly appreciate how she masters timing and phrasing. A guitar finally joins in with little bursts, 3 or 4 times, before the other players also join to fill out the sound.
So, the CD is short but so perfect and so beautiful, that any more would be too much.
Perfect, perfect, perfect.
on 28 November 2011
An excellent recording of fado. Really shows that Mariza can sing the solid traditional fado, as well as be innovative.
on 13 February 2012
Have seriously listened to this work (it's not immediately appealing, slightly dour at first in fact) but now consider it to be a most serious and worthwhile work. The BBC (in their wisdom!) put Mariza singing the relatively trivial `Dona Rosa' on Jules Holland, what a travesty, might has well put on Barenboim as a side act to Adele! I saw Moriza's performance at the NRCM Manchester, a more appropriate venue for this profound quasi-classical music.

From the heights of the legendary `Concerto em Lisboa' after a while we have withdrawn to the studio to record this very personal music. A Portuguese `Winterreise' almost, with tributes to Amalia amongst others. Well done Mariza (and your brilliant musicians) you're a genius, you seem to be able to get into the soul of all these songs. After you I can hardly listen to anyone else!!
on 23 September 2013
Our first experience of Fado. Quite delightful and superbly produced. being played at regular intervals through the day. Favourite sound for our dog!!
on 13 March 2011
What can you say?

A brilliant album of the classical fado without embellishment sung by the one of the best voices around
on 20 November 2013
We love Mariza's music - she has real power in her voice and brings out the best in Fado music.
on 2 March 2015
My favourite recording of my favourite Fado singer. So beautiful & emotional.
on 28 April 2015
Bought for my wife who finds it excellent
on 4 June 2011
I'd seen rave reviews about this and had heard her on Later so decided to widen my horizons and buy this album.

I'm not immediately converted. There's no dispute over her voice and the clarity of sound ... I'm just not sure whether this is for me. I will give it several more plays to see if it grows on me, but have the feeling this will only have an airing as background music when we invite people round for a bite to eat.

Apologies to people who love this music.