5.0 out of 5 stars laughter is the best medicine
Published on 23 Jan 2011 by Twinkle

2.0 out of 5 stars Waffle
A great deal of magazine article style waffle about how wonderful it is to play games with the family, which presumably we already knew, otherwise we wouldn't have bought the book in the first place. And not a lot of games that the kind of people who would buy this book wouldn't already know.
Published 8 months ago by Barry Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars laughter is the best medicine, 23 Jan 2011
Brilliant book, There are games that ones remembers from childhood, its helped us to refresh our memory on the rules, and ones that we now love to play - noughts and crosses, paddocks, hangman, The interrogator, Hot buttered beans, squiggle, pig dice, earth, air, water and fire and some many more. Last night we played Bango, picture charades, The memory tray and Sardines (which has become a family favourite already)

A prefect book for summer hols, rainy weekend or children's parties. We are have great fun, flicking through pages, the children come home from school and are asking can we play ....

Well worth the money, we now have our own games boxes ready to play...

A defiant book that you will want to keep forever on your bookshelf close at hand and If you think laughter is the best medicine than this book is for you !

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with terrific ideas to entertain the whole family, 18 Dec 2010
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This year we've made a concerted attempt to turn off the TV several evenings a week and to play a game before the kids go to bed. We've discovered and fallen in love with board games like Labyrinth Board Game and Blokus, but we've also played some old fashioned games of cards and wordplay, courtesy of this terrific and inspiring book.

It present a great range of games (130 according to the index). There are games suitable for the very young, games for two players, games that will keep large groups entertained. They are broken into four main categories:
- Games of writing and drawing
- Games of motion, mystery and make believe
- Games of cards, dice, marbles and knucklebones
- Games spoken aloud

Each game is prefaced with a box telling you how many players you need, what age range it is suitable for, what equipment you will need (if any) and the playing time, making game selection simple. The instructions are clear and very easy to follow and the games are all explained with great enthusiasm. In many cases, variations on the rules are also given.

Many of the games are ones that I remembered from childhood - Wink Murder, Sevens, Sardines, Chatterboxes - but even more were new to me and some have become new family favourites. This is a treasure trove of fabulous ideas and is a terrific guide to keep on hand this holiday season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Fun, 29 April 2012
This is a brilliant book, I bought one for a friend's birthday present and loved it so much I kept it for myself!
It's great for family gatherings, children and adults, parties or a post dinner filler. Lots of laughter, loads of fun and plenty of learning potential - I can't think of a better way to have some cheap family fun!

Try also: Think of a Number; The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes; Bond How to do 11+ Verbal Reasoning New Edition (Bond Guide); 11+ Explained: Verbal Reasoning: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success (The Official 11+ Practice Papers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Mar 2014
Very nice book! Worth buying. Great tips for games that we will certainly play together as a family. Just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Parlour Games for Modern Families (Kindle Edition)
I already have the paperback and the family use it often. I bought the Kindle version as we keep losing the book and it is convenient to take it on the Kindle when we go away. Great range of games, cards, dice and other stuff, from very basic upwards. I've learnt a few new ones too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 6 Aug 2013
Mrs. E. H. Stanton (Harrow, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, provides exactly what I was looking for. Several of the games in this book have already become favourites with my children (4 and 6), and I can see myself using this book for many years to come as they get older and can cope with longer/more complex things. Instructions are clear and writing style is straightforward and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need inspiration for a party or fun-day?, 17 July 2013
Gill (Broadstairs, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is clearly written by an enthusiast who does play the games with his own family & friends. I have been looking for a book like this: I'm a Sunday School teacher looking for games to fill-in for my junior school aged children when the church service over-runs. However the games are by no means restricted to that age group. I'm really looking forward to trying these out in September when we start up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Jun 2013
Great book, used lots of the games, our daughter loves many of them, family fun just stood in a que

5.0 out of 5 stars Parlour games, 10 April 2013
I have not had a go yet, it stopped raining...... I have read it and actually cant wait for a nothing to do weekend. It lives in the kitchen not on the bookshelf so its there when i need it. Very excited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parlour Games, 11 Dec 2012
I am delighted with this product - It is a gift for Christmas and I think exactly what she wanted. Games look to be very traditional and something I remember in my youth. Good price.

Parlour Games for Modern Families