4.0 out of 5 stars Up Close And Personal
Published on 10 Aug 2011 by Charles Vasey

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what the fuss is about...
It's not often I come across a book I can't finish through sheer boredom... but this book succeeds.

I bought this book on the strength of the reviews here on Amazon and I'm quite baffled as to what the fuss is about. This book isn't badly written, it flows well enough and the style is easy to read - hence two stars, but that's it.
There is simply no depth...
Published on 30 May 2012 by Craig Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars Up Close And Personal, 10 Aug 2011
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The author of Marius's Mules has made a number of key decisions in planning what will (hopefully) be a long series of historical novels. Firstly, he has selected a model, in this case the professional officers of the Roman Army behave not unlike professional officers of the British Army - the enemy being of less importance much of the time than internal loyalties and rivalries. This worked very well indeed in the novel "Imperial Governor" by George Shipway and S.J.A Turney uses it to advantage here. This model gives us men who, while living in an alien world, address it much as we would. Secondly, he has decided to proceed (as armies proceed) slowly. This novel only takes us up to the defeat of Ariovistus. It will take a number of novels to complete De Bello Gallico. This means characters and their actions are not hurried along but develop at their own pace. The result will be immensely pleasing to a lot of readers, especially those who do their homework on the subject.

I could not quite stretch to five stars (though 4.5 is what I wanted) because I found the characters suffered to a degree from Richard Sharpe Syndrome, they were often either all Good or all Bad. The hatchet job on P. Licinius Crassus is excellent for plot (a rich useless aristo just like Sir Henry Simmerson) but not, I think, for history. The sketch of C. Julius Caesar was much more complex however, he is clearly a leader of men, and a bit of a rotter in the eyes of our hero, the stern M. Falerius Fronto.

However, who knows what lies ahead for I see we are off to fight the fearsome Belgae in the next volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but the editor should be sacked, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story for much of the time, but a few of the elements were worryingly grating: in both this and his second story, the plot elements are very similar: hero fights against over-whelming odds, gets injured, best friends are killed, Roman discipline, technology and tactical superiority save the day, hero gets drunk with mates and argues with Caesar who puts up with it.
But worst of all, the man who edits the story has not done a very good job. There were cases when the sentences did not make sense, where words were spelled incorrectly [ e.g. keep soldiers on a tight `reign' rather than `rein'] and some of the sentences were poorly constructed with repetition of words within them. A good editor should have spotted all these flaws.

I am no English teacher, but this is something I have rarely seen in published works, and would prefer not to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable!, 17 Jan 2013
Considering this is the author's first novel, I enjoyed it immensely. The writing style is highly entertaining and carries the story along nicely.
I did think the senior officers spent too much time drinking or occasionally acting a little slapstick, but overall the story flows along nicely and is a pleasure to read.
If you enjoy your Roman war fiction, you should have fun with this - I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.

Steven A. McKay, author of Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord) and The Wolf and the Raven: 2 (The Forest Lord)

4.0 out of 5 stars Verging on excellent, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
I have recently been an avid reader of historical novels and am always on the lookout for something new.
I agree with the majority of reviews on SJA Turney's books , but would like to add that I am particularly impressed by his battle descriptions.
I have often found descriptions of battle scenes and tactics by other authors to be 'clunky' and difficult to follow.
Not so in this first book. His ability to give clear discriptions of complicated scenes sets him out from others in his field.
Very readable. I look forward to much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe ..., 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
... that I finished this series of books months ago and haven't as yet scribbled a review. I read a lot of Roman history, both fiction and non-fiction, the usual suspects ... Scarrow, Davis, Riches, Saylor, R.W Peake et al. No question, SJA Turney is a highly accomplished writer, and for those of us who like captivating story lines, who secretly imagine themselves sharing a campfire with their legionary tent mates, and who like to KEEP on following their new found buddies (that's a hint), you'll not regret enlisting with this legion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Publishing does Work, 11 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
When I was asked to look up this title I have to say I was unsure!
Its not main stream publication, its got little or not marketing behind it...etc. etc...
But im a sucker for a roman historical fiction book, and the tag line:
"It is perhaps time we looked at Caesar more as a scheming warmonger than a heroic warrior."
This appealed to me, ole JC gets his behind kissed a bit too much so it would be good to see him portrayed a little differently.

This is the up to date more edited version, an advantage over the big publishing houses, the author has the ability to go back do those corrections and updates and edits and then resubmit them for the next print run very easily. especially for the kindle versions of this book.

This is a great title, with a great bunch of characters, set in a pivotal period of history. really is a winner on so many levels, don't miss it!
(Parm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fiction at its best, 22 April 2011
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
This story is a well paced, page-turner, charting Julius Caesar's invasion of Gaul. If you are a fan of Historical Fiction from the likes of Simon Scarrow, Conn Iggulden and David Gemmell, then this really is a book for you!

With great characterisation, bloody battle scenes and political wranglings, the author tells a very different story of one of Rome's greatest Generals; revealing him to be a power-hungry politician rather than a hero of his people.
Written from the POV of the men under his leadership, you get a believable depiction of not only the man, but those under his command.

As an avid reader, I would have to say that this has been one of my favourite books this year.

A bloody triumph!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
Having never heard of this author before I wasn't sure what to expect.i have thoroughly enjoyed this book and the characters he has created around Caesar and Brutus like Fronto, discovering Marius Mules has been a delight and I will continue to read my way through the rest of the series.I am definitely a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical fiction at its best, 22 April 2011

A bloody triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul (Kindle Edition)
Great read, Funny, griping adventure with lots and lots of interesting characters, Brings Rome and its soldiers to life. Recommended.