5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book - A great king? you decide
A fantastic book. I bought it mainly to increase my understanding of the Scottish wars of independence, but I found myself getting caught-up in the history of the Whole British Isles. Edward's reign was a turning point in British history and Marc Morris clearly describes how Edward first stamped his authority on an England that was running out of control and then turned...
Published on 29 Dec. 2009 by acrossthesea

3.0 out of 5 stars A strong king, yes, but not great...
I did enjoy this book, but I did find it verging on hagiography. I'll admit, Edward I is not my favourite king, far from it. And I'll admit that you can't judge a medieval monarch by today's standards, but even so I found Morris' constant excusing of Edward's actions tiring. If the true standard by which a king should be judged is that of his contemporaries, then let's...
Published on 19 Mar. 2009 by C. Ball

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 April 2014
Glokta (Manchester) - See all my reviews
A hugely informative and entertaining read on one of the more controversial English kings, I can't recommend this enough. As someone who normally opts for historical fiction I was a bit wary that this might be a dry, historical account but that fear was thankfully dispelled after the first page. The book is very accessible and provides excellent background to the atmosphere of England (and Europe) that Edward walked into after inheriting the throne. I've always had an interest in great historical figures and this book drives home how much one person's ambitions can shape and change countries futures that has implications into the present day. A fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 April 2013
This review is from: A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain (Kindle Edition)
An utterly gripping read that brilliantly conveys the political and military tensions of the period, and evokes a sense of personality of the key players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Account of a major period in British History, 4 Jun. 2013
An excellent and well written book about the period when, as the sub-title says, Britain was forged. Edward 1st comes across as both a formidable person and someone who had a very clear purpose which was to create one nation out of three 'countries'. This book will give anyone interested in the late 13th & early 14th Century a real understanding of what the period was like.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great And Terrible Read..., 31 May 2010
Steven T. Jarvis "Skarekrow" (Thanet, Kent) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I have spent far too long intending to but never actually doing anything at all about that terrible gap in my knowledge; the gap being my knowledge and understanding of what appears to be one of the most mis-represented periods of this country's development: the Middle Ages. This lapse was, in part, due to a reticence on my part to delve into a period of history that would lead to more questions than answers. I couldn't have chosen a better book as an introduction to this most exciting and dreadful of times; Marc Morris' book is delightful in every respect, from the ease with which it introduces one into the very atmosphere of the time to the manner in which it unfolds the world that existed at that time, populating it with, again, wonderful and dreadful characters, all of whom helped define this country, as well Scotland and Wales.

Edward The First, who appears in the film "Braveheart" as the enemy of justice is so much more; a just man frustrated by the constraints of Parliament, a Crusader and a man who was forged in the fires of battle. He was a statesman and a warrior, compared to King Arthur and Richard the Lionheart for his valour and his achievements. His fame was also the cause of the infamy that was known about him.

The book is written with an easy elegance that is not overly tempered by opinion but by the facts that are known and the evidence that supports them. I have every admiration for this book and for Marc Morris for alowing us all to share in the triumphant achievement that is the culmination of years of research; this book truly is a Great and Terrible Thing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 9 Dec. 2009
Mr. J. J. Percival "sedgemoor" (Hungerford(ish), UK) - See all my reviews
So far I've found this to be an excellent read, Moriss's writing style is easy on the eye and the mind. Despite the train announcer's best efforts to the contrary I found it possible to keep abreast of all the various events and personalties in what is after all, a complex period to cover in a narrative. Like it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and accessible, 9 Feb. 2014
This is the second of Marc Morris' books I have read and enjoyed, he has a style which brings the history to life. He gives great detail but manages to keep it interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars History Comes Alive, 9 Mar. 2012
I could not put this book down and devoured it from cover to cover. Marc Morris made history exciting and accessible for me and has inspired me to follow the story on further by finding out what happens to Edwards son and grandson. This journey started for me when I read a fictional novel about Robert the Bruce. After reading this compelling book I do not think I will be going back to fiction for some time. As for what I think of Edward himself...you will just have to read the book and make up your own mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars A detailed and enjoyable account of Edward I., 29 Oct. 2012
This may have taken me quite a while to get through (for some reason the time it takes me to read a historical biography seems to be around double an average fiction book) but it was thoroughly worth it. Marc Morris writes in an intelligent style, taking us through the journey of Edward's life from the reign of his father to his exploits in Wales, Scotland and the Holy Land.

I particularly enjoyed reading through the battles and the seemingly never ending journeys to and from various parts of the country. I also found myself laughing numerous times, mostly due to the witty style of Morris.

A good read. One that I am sure I will come back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 29 Dec. 2013
Peter Hopkins (York, N Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Clearly, a very well-researched work, Marc Morris's style makes it even more readable. He writes as someone who comes across as an unbiased observer, almost as though he witnessed events and characters. One of the best historical writers in my opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars History enticingly unfolded, 26 Dec. 2013
This is an extremely well researched,book, so well written that it draws you in and carries you along. I wish there had been books like this, about periods of English History, when I was a lad. I would have learned a great deal more than I did!

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›