Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.49

on 27 June 2010
A Hollow Crown

The use of well researched and meticulous detail in this book is excellent and brings to life the vibrant, brave and often very flawed characters of the era which I feel are little known in general.

There is a huge cast of characters and, because of the similarity of given names and diffrent spellings used by the Danes and Saxons, Ms Hollick has done a great job in sorting through the haystack of those times.

The geneological tables leave a lot to be desired, ( I can see that it is very difficult because of the hand-fast [more danico] marriage as opposed to Christian marriage) in that they are extremely badly constructed and very difficult to follow; they would not have been missed if they had been omitted entirely.

Some of the incidents are overly long and wordy whereas others could have done with more description but all in all the story is very good, except that the ending is abrupt, sketchy and rather 'skated over'. You can find out more about Emma in 'Harold the King'.

Ms Hollick does say that she wrote 'Harold the King' (which is actually set, in time, after this book) before she wrote this one; I am afraid, that it shows - what a pity.
Nevertheless I still recommend this book as a good, long read.
on 8 February 2010
I have a keen interest early medieval history. Good historical novels set in this period are few and far between. This one is one of my favourites. Helen Hollick does a superb job painting a picture of pre-Norman England, its intrigues and its personalities, in particular Emma of Normandy, Aethelred and Cnut. It's not a book full of battles, it's not Bernard Cornwell. But the portrayal of the period and the range of different and believable characters are excellent. Don't let the size of the book put you off either. By the time I got to the end, I wanted more, and delved straight into Helen Hollick's other book of this peroid, `Harold the King' (just as good).
on 7 December 2009
A compelling book, Helen Hollick has written an absolutely superb portrait of Queen Emma. You see, feel and smell how it was like to live in her era. Obviously it is her own interpretation of the events as there are few manuscripts left but her perception of the human factor in each persona is so believable that it makes this book one to reckon with if you are interested in England before the norman invasion. Great sense of humour too! And if you are a fan of Sharon Penman's books you shall not be disappointed either.
on 2 December 2009
Helen Hollick has a fine edge of fact and fiction in a very well written historical novel, about an era of our history unknown to many.

The book was recommended to me by a friend I was somewhat daunted by the size of the book (the longest I have ever read); but soon well into it. I made a list of names with page numbers a great help.

Happy reading.

M R
on 10 January 2008
I can truly say this is a super read. When I bought it I couldn't believe the size of it I thought to myself it will take a few months to read, but I was wrong when I started it I couldn't stop. I had read within the week and I felt some what sad to finish it. It's a fantastic book well written and it is my favourite book of 2007.
on 14 August 2010
This book does for late saxon history what Wilbur Smith does for colonial Africa - educate. Now go on to read the formal history of this time.
on 2 April 2016
A most enjoyable read! Couldn't put it down!
on 4 February 2016