5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!
Published on 3 Jan. 2011 by Loobiloo

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much thinking?
Published on 30 July 2011 by Mis

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in just two days, which is something of a record for me! I was immediately drawn into the story line and easily sympathised with the main character: her confusion about her re-emerging gift of 'fore-visioning', her mixed feelings towards the men in her life, and her 'search' to find her inner-self in the events unfolding around her. I found all of the relationships, particularly within the family, completely believable. And the descriptions of the island on which the light-house stood were rich and beautiful.

At first I wondered where exactly the story was taking me, but later realised that this book is less of a murder-mystery and more a journey of self-discovery. And for this reason I settled into the pace of the writing (somewhat slower that your average thriller) and just enjoyed it for what it was - a gentle exploration of lives lived by different rules to most.

Without giving too much away, there are no particular surprises here.... but it is a book that has lingered in my mind since reading it and that, for me, is the sign of an excellent read. I would highly recommend it! Oh, and I had found no grammatical errors in my downloaded version, as suggested by another reviewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and enjoyable., 7 Jan. 2011
Grahame Gardner (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
This was a lot better than I thought it would be from other reviews. The main character is well-rounded and easy to identify with, and the location descriptions are very evocative of rural New England. The plot device of using the divining almost as an excuse for not revealing the crucial plot twists until later worked pretty well, although I was slightly irritated by it at times. However I thought the descriptions of dowsing were very accurate and it was obvious that the author had done his research on the subject (it transpires that he is actually a dowser himself).
There was a good range of characters in the story, and the relationships between them come across well and are very believable, particularly those of the immediate family.
I found there were a few interesting archaic or peculiarly North American words used that had me making good use of my Kindle's dictionary feature; I also found myself clipping some good one-liner aphorisms for future reference!
I'll be looking at other books by this author in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written. A believable and enjoyable tale with characters that you would like to meet. The central character's struggle with her 'gift' is rings true. Although the general pace is quite gentle I found that the author had injected enough tension into it to make it work. If you like exploration of the world around you, seen and unseen, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A subtle, yet unmistakeable, masterpiece, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
This is easily one of the most potently descriptive styles of writing I have encountered in a modern novel.

Any given, often short, sentence can yield dense, sensual thoughts, provocative ideas and saturated imagery that stick in your mind long after putting the book down. Indeed, the landscapes, scenes and characters, so tangibly depicted as the backdrop to a deeply immersive first-person account of a single mum dealing with the life-long and dark consequences of the tragic childhood loss of her brother, are so vivid in my mind that I keenly want to visit each scene and meet each character, even though I know they are purely fictional!

The flow of the work is not perhaps that of fast-paced thriller, but it is so much the better for it. This piece works on many levels, poetic, philosophical, spiritual, natural, religious, historical, domestic and social and somehow does justice to them all. The plot itself, though very dark, quietly stalks you throughout the piece, and then gently, subtly creeps up on you, thereby making its grim presence seem the more real, dark and personal.

The story culminates in the only real concession to dramatic necessity, but the final resolution to this magical tale is deeply satisfying and actually very uplifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Diviners Tale, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, right up my street. If you love spooky stories you will love it. Full of detail and suspense. A real page turner, easy to read and great characters to meet!

5.0 out of 5 stars The diviner's tale, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
i loved this book. usually first person narratives are tedious for me but this one flowed beautifully and hardly a sentence began with "I". the rhythm of the local speech was caught perfectly for me and the characters were likable and well rounded. i was looking for something fresh and this was just great!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
Lots of reasons to like this one. Main characters were very believable and the relationships well thought out, descriptive writing, the use of language in the speech and the pace. Author kept us guessing as to what was real and what was in Cass's mind.
I liked the plot though at times wondered why certain things were put in when they were - why not have her discover the woman was dead on the island? Why didn't she ever ask the girl, Laura, what the man looked like? Slight negative was the relationship with ex-boyfriend - would he really have been so attentive with a wife at home? That one didn't quite ring true and it seemed odd that she managed to find romance before the end of the story - too convenient.
Overall enjoyed this and found the parts about dowsing informative and interesting and very much added to the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. I was hooked from the beginning and found it both engrossing and moving. Highly recommended.
There were a couple of typo's in my (Kindle) edition but I still loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try it for size, 20 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
Well I read this in 2 days, very unusual for me... I had my reservations and admit to re-reading the reviews when I was a quarter way through the book, wondering if I was wasting my time! I was also surprised to see it was written by a man, I felt sure it must be a female author. If you fancy something different, then give this a go. It may not be for everyone but I found it fascinating - I was drawn in and still not sure why. I was especially moved by the relationship of Cass and her father. This read is certainly worth the price you are paying. Take a gamble and go for it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much thinking?, 30 July 2011
This review is from: The Diviner's Tale (Kindle Edition)
I got this book as part of Kindle's summer sale season, and It's an OK read. The plot is exciting with some suspense and mystery and the characters are easy to understand and empathise with. However, I did find myself rushing through the sometimes endless descriptive sections to get back to the plot. The heroine spends so much time feeling sorry for herself you start to wish something bad will happen to her, and then when it does it's quickly dealt with in a couple of paragraphs of action before we're back to over analysing the past and our feelings.

The Diviner's Tale