4.0 out of 5 stars A series of anecdotes�
This is not a novel as such, but more a series of short stories from various phases of the author's life... and being raised by Greek immigrant parents, before moving to France, via a series of odd jobs gives plenty of opportunity for some hysterical anecdotes.
Published on 20 July 2005 by maria1971

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny written down
I really enjoy David Sedaris's monologues on Radio 4, much to annoyance of my family. I had been praising him and trying to get people to listen to him - thinking his dry and witty delivery was one of the funniest things I had heard in years.

Published 16 months ago by Mark DW

4.0 out of 5 stars A series of anecdotes�, 20 July 2005
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
This book has the same feel as an entertaining acquaintance recounting his experiences over a drink or the dinner table, and even the events that aren't that funny by nature are transformed by this natural storyteller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny written down, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)

However, I think this is part of the problem - I feel that an awful lot of his funniness is down to his delivery... his accent, his infections, surprise and resigned voice. All of this means ultimately, that this book was not as funny as I was oping it was going to be.

Its OK, but you almost have to imagine him saying it. It's very flat. To put it another way, if I had never heard him talking, I would never have liked this book at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever stuff, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
David Sedaris' observational humour is genuinely funny. His upbringing as one of a large (and quirky) family in North Carolina and his later life in New York and France provide the context and rich material for his anecdotes. Highlights include his father's idiosyncrasies, his 12 year old sister Amy propositioning her father over the phone (posing as a neighbour), and the first visit to New York of his friend Alisha's travelling companion. Lots of clever witticisms which ring all too true.

2.0 out of 5 stars Me not read pretty talk any day, 6 May 2014
Stephen Down - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
It's worth more than 1 star because there were a few mildly diverting moments, but that's all that can be said for this book.

It took me a while to figure out what this book was even about. And the answer is "nothing". It's just a series of, well I don't know – articles, pieces, monologues, essays, I'm not really sure – short pieces of writing about Sedaris growing up and his struggles with language and life in general.

When I'm reading that kind of book, I expect to be drawn in to empathise with the central character. And in the entire book I don't think I felt a single twinge of empathy or sympathy for Sedaris. He presents himself as the most crass, stupid and unlovably self-centred person imaginable, living up to any number of unattractive stereotypes without remotely challenging any of them.

There's no social commentary here, no moral values, no entertainment, no development, nothing – just a bunch of witless anecdotes that have no humour and are then badly related. I really don't recommend reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars American misadventures, 6 Jan. 2010
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I have to agree with the blurb on the book jacket for once, this paperback did indeed make me laugh out loud. I loved David Sedaris's accounts of his dysfunctional childhood, including the trauma of being singled out for speech therapy lessons in class and his French lessons in France. From such slender material, he has a gift for creating humour.

Unfortunately, the quality of the stories is a little uneven. I didn't enjoy his descriptions of drug-taking and there is a tendency for authors (like Augusten Burroughs and Alan Bennett also) to keep up their show of hang-dog, slacker lifestyles long after they have become successful authors, presumably living in nice apartments and not doing crappy jobs. For instance, Sedaris says he returns to visit the USA, going round 13 cities in eight weeks but avoids mentioning that this is for a book tour. Such false modesty and disingenuity can begin to grate.

However, the good parts of the book are very good indeed and this is probably a good choice to start if you haven't read David Sedaris before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quick read, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by my sister as she listens to him on pod cast/radio. I have never heard of David Sedaris. As other reviews states this book is about his own life and personal experiences, from child to adulthood. I can really relate to his sense of humor although this may not be to everyone's taste.

I personally don't read much non-fiction/biography genres. It is relatively easy to read and interesting "short stories". Perfect for taking on holiday with you! It was enjoyable to read as some chapters was quite funny and made me chuckle quietly, a book that makes you laugh is a good book in my opinion! He doesn't just look at his own life but also observes what is around him. His account on various events that has happened and his take on it is clever, funny and likable. If you can "make fun" of your life and not be ashamed of it then that's also a good thing. There was maybe one or 2 "stories" I found that either I didn't understand it or I didn't find it interesting. Other that that I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good read, needs cheering up and wants some sort of reality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't buy another of his., 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Kindle Edition)
My expectations of this were higher, from reviews, than it delivered. The story doesn't really go anywhere nor seem to know where it wants to go or what point it's making most of the time, the supposed loads of laughs aren't really there, and at the end of the book I was left very much underwhelmed. If I'd bought this on paper, it'd have been "one for the recycling bin". As it's on Kindle, I'll just delete it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snippets of hilarity (mostly) from a very interesting life, 22 Mar. 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
Funny. I can't remember why I put this on the 'to read' list (was it a USA WBN choice?), but I enjoyed the few hours I spent reading anecdotes from Sedaris's life. Though occasionally harrowingly honest (the chapter relating his drug-addicted years), for the most part the stories are warm and witty and very entertaining. That so much so funny could happen to one man is hard to believe, but it did make me smile.

4.0 out of 5 stars warm, entertaining & witty, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
Purchased after hearing 'Jesus Shaves' on Radio 4. The whole book is full of observational comedy at its best. Many laugh out loud moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Funny!, 16 Dec. 2002
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
It truly takes a lot to make me laugh, but I learned not to read anything by David Sedaris in public. His skewed inside viewpoints of life are hilariously offbeat and ring true. So true, that you will be laughing out loud. Whether describing his amphetamine induced college "performance art" shenanigans or his childhood abuse by a speech therapist bent on taking glee in his curiously high-pitched lisp, Sedaris knocks you over with a literary feather laced with lead. Commentaries on New Yorkers, southerners or any other ethnic or regional folk are side-splittingly accurate. Always self-depracating, Sedaris is kind enough to include everyone in his hit-list of ridiculous human behavior. As a reference, David Sedaris' wack-job of a sister is also highlighted. It is no surprise that she went on to be a major contributor to Comedy Central's "Strangers With Candy". Don't be surprised however, if everyone you tell this book about has already read it.

Me Talk Pretty One Day