5.0 out of 5 stars Back To The Good Old Days ! ***Slight Spoilers***
Published on 6 May 2011 by Joshua Rossiter

2.0 out of 5 stars Great game but bad expirience with the seller.
I have ordered the game on the December 4th, and it have arrived only on January 7th - 1 star for delivery.
I have contacted the seller after the game was delayed for a week ! - asked for the track number - but they did not provide it. They only answered that I have to wait - 1 star for the seller comunication.
The game itself looks original, works on my 3DS I...
Published 16 months ago by Loki Whisp

5.0 out of 5 stars Back To The Good Old Days ! ***Slight Spoilers***, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Pokemon Black and White are typical of their predecessors. You begin your journey within the quiet tranquillity of Nuvema Town and soon enough in Pokemon style you and your protagonist disturb the peace by having your first battles with your two friends Cheren and Bianca. The pair soon become your rivals throughout the rest of the game, which is a slightly different approach as previous iterations of Pokemon games feature only one rival. But before the battle you must choose a Pokemon and, as per usual, you are given the choice of three. There is the grass snake Pokemon Snivy, the fire pig Pokemon Tepig or the sea otter Pokemon Oshawott. I started with a Tepig simply because it looked cool. Bianca will choose the Pokemon that will be weakest against your chosen type; Cheren will choose the Pokemon that is strongest against your type, but despite type advantages you should have no problem beating your friends.

Pokemon Black and White Gameplay. Soon after the battle with Cheren and Bianca you're sent to the local Pokemon Professor's Lab to thank her for the Pokemon she gave you. Professor Juniper happens to be the first female Professor of the Pokemon franchise, make of that what you will. At the lab she will task you and your friends with the very important job of traversing Unova and cataloging every Pokemon. You are also advised to collect all the Gym Badges of Unova. There are 8 to collect with each Gym specialising in a specific type so it is advisable to train a variety of types for your Pokemon Party. Once all 8 badges are yours you continue on to the Elite Four and the Champion of the Pokemon League, defeat them and you can claim the title of Pokemon Master. Your travels around Unova are not unhindered however; there is always a troublesome team to make your life difficult. Team Plasma are a villainous team whose goal is to free Pokemon from the humans of Unova. Like Team Rocket of old, who I miss dearly, Team Plasma and their wicked antics will pop up throughout the main story.

There are a few differences between the two games one being two different areas. As suggested by the name, Pokemon Black plays host to Black City and features many characters and tasks that do not appear in the other game. Black City's population changes with time, leading to the alteration of its appearance. When you visit the city for the first time the population is determined by the number of days it took you to reach it. In addition to the visual changes, the city's market will sell items to the player at inflated prices, dependent on which Trainers are in the city. The items are rare, with most being either evolutionary stones or valuable items. At maximum population, Black City is a sprawling metropolis with many large buildings and skyscrapers. With a smaller population there are fewer buildings that are smaller in size. To juxtapose Black, Pokemon White houses White Forest. Unlike Black City, White Forest has a variety of wild Pokémon as well as characters and tasks that are not available in Pokemon Black. Just like Black City however, the appearance of White Forest is reliant on the number of people currently liPokemon Black and White Reviewving there. When you first enter the forest the total number of residents is, again, determined by the number of days it took you to reach it. In addition to visual changes, some wild Pokémon will only appear with a certain resident. When White Forest is full it contains large trees, several water surfaces and many patches of tall grass, all there being filled with Pokemon to aid you with your Pokedex. At times when there are few people in the forest the trees are smaller, there are fewer or no water surfaces and patches of tall grass are sparse. As to be expected with two different Pokemon games of the same generation, there are also several Pokemon that are exclusive to each version.

Probably one of the most interesting differences is the presence of two new battle types. They come in the form of Rotation Battles, my personal favourite, and Triple Battles. Triple Battles are simple, if you can imagine the Double Battles from some of the previous games and simply add two more Pokemon onto the screen you've got a Triple Battle. A Rotation Battle on the other hand is a little bit more complicated, but not too much. Essentially you have three Pokemon each on the field placed on a turn table. You may switch between those Pokemon at any time without losing a turn; some very interesting can be developed during these battles. If Triple Battles tickle your fancy you'll want Pokemon White, if you're after Rotation Battles you'll want Pokemon Black.

To summarise, Pokemon Black and White are two very solid and enjoyable games. Their graphical boost is welcomed and it is clear that Game Freak have pulled out all the stops. They provide Pokemon Black and White with some impressive, but arguable unnecessary, 3D aspects. The main example of this comes in the form of Castelia City. Game Freak included new graphics on the Pokemon themselves too. This may mean little to some but I was very impressed by the fact that the Pokemon now look asleep when they fall victim to Hypnosis, etc. They now even have their individual animations during battle. They are of a calibre to satisfy the oldest of Pokemon fans and to attract a new gamers to the pokemon franchise, all in all, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Reboot, 5 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I'll start by saying the only Pokemon games I have completed, are Red, Blue and Yellow, and I played those on a Gameboy Pocket. That was a good decade or so ago, so I can't, and won't, compare these new instalments to anything more recent than Crystal (which I never finished). With that said, let's get rolling...

In short, I'm dead impressed with Black. The idea seems to have been a reboot of the games and an attempt to bring back fans of the old games who have now grown up. If that was indeed the case then it worked on me! The basic mechanics of the game haven't changed, you still get your Grass/Fire/Water starter choice, you still slowly trudge between towns battling Gym leaders and you still fight a lot of eager trainers along the way who apparently spend their lives in one spot just waiting for you to pass so you can battle them.

However, there are a number of upgrades from the original game, like Pokemon being able to hold items - I understand this was an addition in one of the later generations for GBA - which is useful (i.e. Pokemon can heal themselves, cure Sleep themselves etc), and also things like multi-Pokemon battles, where the other team may have two or even three Pokemon, and the first two or three of your team come out all at once. This is a nice nod to the traditional JRPG with turn-based combat for multiple party members and makes for interesting fights. Another nice touch is that you only see the new Pokemon until you finish the main story. This means that rather than panicking "What's this Pidove thing, can I find a Pidgey instead?!" you're left with no choice but to read the Pokedex entries, look at the move descriptions and basically learn how to play the game all over again. Speaking as someone who's coming back to the series after 10 years, that's a fantastic idea.

When starting the game, you pick a Male or Female character - again, I understand this was a choice added in the later games, but it's nice to see here - and are introduced to your childhood friends. In an interesting twist to the usual "this other kid is your rival and he picked the Pokemon strong against yours" rigmarole, the other kids are your friends (although you still have to battle them). The boy takes the Pokemon strong against yours, the girl takes the one that's weak, so at least you know you're going to beat ONE of them. You encounter them occasionally along your trip. Also, the Pokemon Prof isn't Oak anymore, it's a lady called Juniper. Hooray, a female Professor! The game starts off as standard from there, with you wandering around pretty linear paths catching Pokemon.

It's a great feeling to get into a battle and genuinely not know what you're going to see. The music starts, the screen slides across (the new battle graphics are great by the way; the Pokemon sprites are animated) and you come face to face with... what's that? What type is it? I must catch it! It really brings back the excitement from all those years ago. Not a Rattata in sight.

I've seen some other reviews that criticise how "simple" the game is. It hasn't got a Pokegear, there's no Pokemon breeding, etc etc. What I will say is: That's PERFECT. This game is to bring people back to the series who got sick of all the breeding and move tutoring and phone calls from Mum all the time, and just goes back to the basics: You and your Pokemon against the world.

Speaking as a fan of the original, vanilla games: it can't get much better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable Pokemon game! but the story = :(, 1 April 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This game to me was ultimately fun to play but it was frustrating as it was an almost identical story line to its predecessors. There were great aspects however.

The reasons why I believe that this game has been rated a 4 out of a possible 5 is stated below:

The story:
Just like the other Pokemon games, you choose a Pokemon and defeat the leaders of several gyms, then go on to the poke league championship to attempt to defeat the elite four. I will be honest, the story line was reasonable but I would like to see a twist in the Pokemon saga. However I did enjoy locating the legendary Pokemon and learning more about the mysterious trainer 'N', who is seen countless times during the epic journey.

The Pokemon:
In Pokemon Black and White you are introduced to new intriguing Pokemon. I liked the appearance of the majority of the new Pokemon and the fact that some of the original and most cherished Pokemon have remained in this game = *smiley face*. The legendary Pokemon look awesome as well.

The expansion: The region Unova harbors lots of locations to fast travel to and from. All together there is 13 main locations alongside many smaller places to visit. The places themselves all have unique traits that differentiate themselves to one another such as the 'Black City' which is the first city were it is of a different viewing perspective. I like how the environment is more active (i.e. swaying trees etc.) and the season feature was a genius inclusion.

Finally the online element. As usual you travel to any Pokemon center then go upstairs. After that you would chat to one of three NPC's were you could go to the chat room, trade or battle. I have always enjoyed trading Pokemon online and I am glad that they included the online feature in this Pokemon game. Hopefully they will keep it in the upcoming Pokemon games.

Now to sum up Pokemon Black. What I liked about the game was the introduction of new Pokemon and moves, the exuberant scenery and some of the story-line. What I was displeased with Pokemon Black was that the main story was just like its predecessors and its predecessors before that. I am bored of the same story and I believe that if the story is similar to that which I have already completed, then I will not purchase the next generation Pokemon games.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game!, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this last summer, and strangely I could not get into it at first. I just thought "hmm, this isn't pearl!" and put it away, and then one day last month I picked it up again, determined to give it another chance. I was shocked at how much I soon started to like it. I shall list the bad things first though, just some little things that I didn't like about this game.

1. The new pokemon. I just.. MISS the old ones, it broke my heart a little that a pidgey didnt pop out at me. The pokemon also seemed more darker, for some reason, and stranger! But I did fall in love with a few.

2. The graphics in battles - sadly, everything looked very pixalated and rather lazy in battles, especially your pokemon who is fighting.

3. The story - the main characters two best friends got a tad annoying, and rather repetitive!

4. Its darker - not the story line really (well, a little bit) but the colours. Everything felt very... blue and purple, darker, edgier. which is fine I guess, but It made me feel like this was more of a adult game than a kids one. But pokemon is all about satisfying your inner child, isn't it? The scenery you walked around was beautiful, and so were the changing seasons. But everything felt less cheerful somehow!

5. It was slightly harder, in that you have to rely on stats a lot, instead of you instincts like earlier games. I miss those days!

The good however, is that you really do become attached to the little pokemon just like you did in all the other games. I am currently playing soul silver and WISH this game had adopted the "pokemon following you as you walk" concept, as you really felt that you were less alone in the big world on your ds screen.

Another thing i would like to say is, the bad guys confused me slightly, and got me thinking... their main point was to free pokemon from their trainers, as they were "used" and "mistreated". I may be the only one to think this, but arent they sort of right? Isn't battling your pokemon, forcing them to do moves and attacks, and battling them until one or the other is either "poisoned, paralyzed, confused or have fainted!" kind of like dog fighting..? Growing up, I always saw pokemon as animals. They may not be like animals we have here, but they are very similar. Snakes here can poison, attack, bite, and the ekans in the pokemon world can do just the same. Yet if we caged our animals and forced them to fight to get stronger, fight each other for our OWN gains, and fight until they actually became injured, we would be arrested. I know pokemon is a fictional game, but many kids play this. And I thought the baddies had a good idea in this game, which confused me all the more and made me feel almost guilty for trying to stop them taking over!

Anyway, rant over. I will always be a huge fan of pokemon (I am a 20 year old female, and I still adore it after a few years not playing them at all) but I think you should explain clearly to your kids (who may get confused with the dog pokemon in this game, they are basically jack russels with not much special powers!) that it is not okay to battle your pets in the garden like you do on your DS!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best story line in Pokemon, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Having played every game in this series, I was expecting the same normal story, with you running from town to town and battling gym leaders and running into Team (insert aggressive name) randomly. But this is the first pokemon game where I actually felt that the characters had arcs and there was a greater intrigue than normal. That said, you still go from town to town battling gym leaders, but Team Plasma seem to have a better reason to exist than just nicking your pokemon.

The battles and strategy hasn't changed, though it's always worked, so hush my mouth. I will say, that there are now certain pokemon where the usual strategy doesn't work, but they are still good. Don't dismiss a pokemon based purely on what you're used to. Be more flexible.

Though, the worst part of all this, which stops this ever being an rpg, is your main character. Still in the sense of Link in Ocarina of Time, he has no personality at all. Which is sad when the other characters develop and evolve. I hope X and Y can resolve this, because it still lets you down.

I'd still get it, it's still the best pokemon game. The series is crying out for evolution. This is the first step in the right direction. Hopefully they keep this forward direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh-air for a much loved franchise, 12 Mar. 2012
PokeGirl1990 (West Sussex U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
As a lifelong Pokemon fan, I do agree to some extent that there is nothing quite like the first generation and the good old days of red and blue on the gameboy but I have really enjoyed playing Black and White and feel they have done the franchise justice in a world of modernised games consoles. The graphics are vastly improved and look great on the new DS's.

For older fans, it features all of the great points of the old Pokemon games. They have always been excellent value for money, with some new and improved features to improve the gaming experience. I think this game is probably the best for younger or new fans as you are effectively placed in a brand new area with brand new Pokemon. Diamond and Pearl were still mixing across the generations which certainly proved hectic at times!

All in all, a great game for an old childhood favourite. It's been great to watch the franchise evolve through the ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars my daughter loves it, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I bought this game for my daughter for her 10th birthday and she loves it. She says it is brilliant, excellent, the best game so far. I have to battle with her to get her to stop playing and do something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon Black/White, 15 April 2011
Zvahl (Ille-de-France, Paris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This is a very nice breath of fresh air into the staling Pokemon franchise. I picked it up on release, and am still playing it now, which shows it has some good longevity. The thing that people may not realize on first glance is how much further this one goes than all the rest, as far as connectivity and interaction with other players goes.

First off is the ingame trading system. It is now much more user friendly, and more fun to use than ever before, but still no option to trade more than one Pokemon at a time, which is shame, after so many releases. Using wireless locally, or the built in Wi-Fi connection to connect to an internet access point, you can trade with friends directly, or over the internet anywhere in the world! This has been a great function so far, and have made quite a number of contacts in this way.

Second is the far more daunting Dream World, which has only recently gone live in Europe. At first this system seems complicated, and very confusing, but after a little time getting my DS to connect to my wireless internet at home, I was asked if I wanted to put one of my Pokemon to sleep. At first I thought this sounded quite disturbing, but it turns out it means it wants you to but a Pokemon to bed, so you can play out it's dreams. Still a little confused, I pressed on. The game gave me a code, and an internet site to visit, where I was asked to make an account and enter the code. The game then linked up to the official Pokemon Global Link site, and found my sleeping Musharna waiting to dream! This then opened up a huge array of minigames, covering mini dungeon crawls, building towers of ice cream, and spot the difference, as well as what seems to be thousands more. While doing these games, you meet Pokemon not catchable in your version of the game, and if you perform well enough, they befriend you and, once you wake your Pokemon back up, on the DS cart, the friends you meet, both people and Pokemon, will then appear to be able to join you in game, and in the Pokemons case, be caught, and even having some unique moves only found in the Dream World! You have access to this Dream World with one Pokemon every day, for one hour per 24 hour period, which I hope is lowered at some point, as I can't wait to send my Celebi in for more fun!

There is also the Entra-link which allows you to bridge into other players games and wander about in special areas, within their world, and even take up residence! This will also encourage previously uncatchable Pokemon to appear in your game too, to allow you to further continue your catching of them all!

All in all I would say this is by far the best incarnation of the franchise, and the first time I have actually bought both releases to play them both and collect them all! Well worth the money, and definately one to force your friends to buy too.

Side note: If you have issues setting up your wireless connection, Nintendo's support site has a very simple and clear guide that helps you every step of the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant addition to the Pokemon Universe!, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Now, I have been playing Pokemon since the original Gameboy days of Red and Blue and have bought every title in the series. I was of course, very excited to hear that another version was due to be released on the Nintendo DS, and I bought it on the day of release without hesitation.

I was not disappointed.

The Good;
The gameplay has not changed at all, which is brilliant for avid fans - the basics are still there - catch, train, level up your pokemon and then battle with them. I found that a lot of the pokemon in this new generation were actually very powerful - you learn stronger moves at a much lower level. The new starter three Pokemon are pretty well balanced, and I love their designs ( except for Oshawott's final evolution - which looks a bit silly ) The graphics have improved, yet still are stylised like the original games. The Pokemon also 'move' and breathe during battles when they are not attacking - ie. they are not just still sprites. I quite like the design of the new Pokemon too - Masuda intended this generation to look very futuristic, and I think he succeeded. The reason why he wanted to do this is because there are already 2 generations of pokemon on the Nintendo DS and he wanted to give fans something new. The bad guys - Team Plasma - are cool and have a funky new futuristic look about them. Another great new feature is the C-Gear, a wireless aplication that takes up the bottom touch screen and allows easier connectivity between two players with two copies of the game and their own DS's. I found some it's functions very fun and very unique and different from any other Pokemon games.

Oh and finally - once you have beaten the Elite 4, there is SO much to do afterwards! You can finally use a Fishing Rod, catch all the other 493 Pokemon from the older generations, and eventually import Pokemon from the other games ( HeartGold, SoulSilver, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum ) to fully complete your national dex. This is no easy task, and will take months of gameplay. If you're gonna give filling the National Dex a go, this game will have hours and hours of gamplay for you.

Now for the bad;

These are only minor things - firstly, the touch screen. The C-gear is great, but I don't see why it is always there. You should be able to switch it off and ALSO get rid of it to have the regular menu there, like in HeartGold and SoulSilver. I think the menus were the best in those games. There is also no L=A setting in the 'Options' menu - ie you can no longer assign the L button to also act as A, which really annoyed me. I have always set that function up since it was introduced back in the Ruby and Sapphire generation.

Also - you cannot import any of your old Pokemon till right near the end of the main storyline!! So that means you have to use the new pokemon. I think this is good, but being a veteran at Pokemon gaming, I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't trade over some eggs that I had prepaired on the my Pearl cartridge. But yeah - I understand why it's there.

The main story - ie. beating the Elite 4, defeating Plasma and the Gym leaders - is quite easy. I beat them all first time round, but only because I have a lot of experience and know how to train efficiently and build a well-balanced team. This may be different for newcomers to the game, though.

Anyway - as you can see, the pros outway the cons by far. Pokemon Black and Pokemon White are both utterly fantastic games, and offer so many hours of gameplay. Even starting a new game with a different starter Pokemon will change the entire experience for you. If you are new to the Pokemon game series, the game tells you everything you need to know about the basics as you go along through the game. Now get out there and start on that Pokedex!

4.0 out of 5 stars New and (Mostly) Improved, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Fans of the series will find the exploits to the Unova region a familiar experience but with a few slight twists.

The first thing to note is that you now have 2 rivals, one for each of the other starting Pokemon. This added a pleasant change to the previous titles where you had simply this years winner of the "Most Annoying Opportunist" award. The new rivals act in a way that gives depth and character to the story rather than simply appearing to challenge you to a battle.

However the removal of the opportunistic rival brings me to on the major issue I have with this game; the difficulty. Compared to other Pokemon games this game is a breeze. Dungeons are shorter and almost always have healers standing around helpfully throughout, rivals nicer (sometimes the even heal you before a battle) Gyms tell you the major weakness and even where to find an appropriate Pokemon to beat them, HMs are barely used removing the need to keep a "mule" around and even the legendaries are practically handed to you on a silver Pokeball.

Ignoring this minor problem and you will find one of the best Pokemon games ever released, a far above average story, good characters, interesting locations, new battle types that provide a welcome change and several of the more irritating aspects have been removed.

Multiplayer has been severely improved in this iteration though use of a quick touch screen option and infrared connectivity, removing the need to hang around a Pokecenter all day waiting for a battle. The Box storage system has also received several improvements, making it more convenient.

Finally the new Pokemon, there are 150ish new creature to encounter and many are new and interesting. But inevitably as we move across the 500 Pokemon in total mark there is a feeling that the creators are scraping the bottom of the barrel. The best examples are the Ice Cream and the Loligoth Pokemon.

In summary a fun game that will please and surprise Pokefans young and old, just don't expect a challenge.

Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS)
Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
Ł16.46