5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Bach....buy it!
Thanks to this collection Murray Perahia has become my favourite pianist.

Published 5 months ago by lockeyb

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 15 Jun. 2011 by H. R. Collier

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Bach....buy it!, 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Thanks to this collection Murray Perahia has become my favourite pianist.

I'm a long term Bach lover and already own several other versions of these pieces. In my opinion none sound as good as this. I'm not sure how Bach intended his music to be played, but frankly I don't care. The playing here is simply sublime. Perahia seems to bring out a gentleness to Bach that I don't recall hearing before.

To prove my point, there's a piece of Bach I want playing at my funeral.....still a long way off, I hope. It's the Andante from (Violin) Concerto No1 in A Minor. I previously believed it sounded best with a violin and I favoured the Nigel Kennedy/BPO version. Other piano versions I'd heard couldn't match the soulfulness of the Kennedy violin. However, Perahia's beautiful rendition on piano, along with the vital strings of Academy of St Martins, does it for me...this is now the version I want playing.

If you like Bach....buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsary purchase, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Superb fluent playing. A lightness of touch and a serenity that makes this a must-have. It is the sort of music, and playing, that should be in the background of every classroom.

It makes you feel at one with world.

4.0 out of 5 stars HIP-sters can steer clear; all other Bach lovers can enjoy, 9 Oct. 2011
G.C. (St. Louis, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is for the 3-CD set which I have listened to. This issue is a repackaging of the 3 separate CDs that Murray Perahia recorded in the early 2000's for Sony Classical, featuring the 7 keyboard concertos, the Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, the Concerto for Flute, Violin and keyboard (BWV 1044), and one solo keyboard work, the Italian Concerto in F (BWV 971). The first thing that should be said is that if you are wedded to the idea of J.S. Bach's music as best performed on period instruments, with minimal vibrato and tuned at lower pitch, and with a harpsichord instead of a piano as the keyboard instrument, this set is not for you. In that sense, these recordings are a kind of a "throwback" to a time of Bach performance before the HIP/period instrument movement took over the baroque and classical eras. Murray Perahia obviously uses a piano throughout, the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields is obviously a modern instrument ensemble, and vibrato is not banished from the playing.

However, with that said, if you're a fan of Murray Perahia or are otherwise generally open to the idea of J.S. Bach done in this "throwback" style, this set is very enjoyable on its own terms. His performances are generally quite straightforward, no fuss or muss, no pulling of tempo about. While vibrato isn't banished, it's not particularly laid on with a trowel either. Even though all the instruments are "modern", and the instrumental textures do feel "weightier" than a period instrument band would sound, the performances generally don't have that sense of stereotypical "heaviness" that one might associate with modern instruments and Bach performances of the era of Mengelberg and Stokowski. The one relatively turgid or "heavy" moment, for me, was the opening of BWV 1044, but that is the exception rather than the rule. As well, Perahia gives a fine rendition of BWV 971, where he's obviously on his own, straightforward and clean.

One small documentary change from the earlier issue is that the theorbo player, Jakob Lindberg, was credited on BWV 1044 and BWV 1050, but his name is omitted from the credits in this reissue. Likewise, the earlier liner notes from the individual issues are replaced with a single survey essay from Jeremy Siepmann.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
These are outstanding performances of Bach's endlessly inventive keyboard concertos- often witty reworkings of pieces you may have heard in different guises. Perahia's silvery tone is matched by his responsive players.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Jun. 2011
H. R. Collier "Harry Collier" (Malmesbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Critics have loved it. I was not too impressed. Most of the concertos are not really keyboard works (three are re-hashes -- by Bach -- of violin concertos, one is a solo piano piece, one the 5th Brandenburg concerto, and one a triple concerto). Perahia's playing hogs the limelight, with the band relegated to the background. And it's all a bit mechanical; give me Edwin Fischer or Alfred Cortot any day in works like this. We need more empathy, more feeling, more affection.

Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos
Murray Perahia - Bach Piano Concertos by Murray Perahia (Audio CD - 2011)