4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for understanding business relationships
Published on 5 April 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading title!
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by Adam Henderson

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for understanding business relationships, 5 April 1999
By A Customer
I've known my MBTI for many years, so what? It wasn't until I read this book that I understood all the implications. The book goes beyond just explaining your personality type, but actually provides useful information regarding how to deal with each. Information is displayed in great succinct charts covering such aspects as: expression of attitudes, motivators, inner tensions, development recommendations, how the type gathers/absorbs information, valued relationship qualities, as well as hot buttons, prejudices, and other issues. I purchased two copies, one to keep and one to distribute among my team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 4 Mar 2006
I first encountered Myers-Briggs 15 years ago via managament training (age 21) and "Individual Excellence" by Ralph Lewis and Phil Lowe. It had been lurking somewhere at the back of my mind all this time until I encountered this book by chance at work.
With what I had learned about life in the intevening 15 years, this book was a revelation revealing to me the full power and richness of the Meyers-Briggs / Jung model.
I can fully understand the reviewers who found this book to be not so good (for them). I found it to be a challenging read at times, and read some sections as many as four or five times to try to understand what was being explained. (I hold a 2.1 Honours Degree in Chemistry from Cambridge University.....)
Personally I would recommend the Lewis / Lowe book as a starter, leave it for a few years and "experience life", and then buy, beg or borrow this book - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book explains everything, 15 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Instead of just telling you that the MBTI exists and providing unsubstantiated examples, this book explains the theories behind type classification, giving you the background necessary to make justifications about the role it should play in your life. Rather than encouraging the use of type theory to put people in categories, "I'm Not Crazy..." provides the opporunity for you to broaden your understanding of the motivations behind the thoughts and actions of those that are close to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a serious read, 9 Dec 2012
Just what I was looking for. Shed light on why people behave the way they do and how they might behave under certain circumstances.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy, but sound, 15 May 2014
A bit heavy – it’s taken me a year to read this, off and on! – but pretty sound as far as type and Jungian/Myers-Briggs personality theory go, with some cognitive function theory as well. The authors stress that all types are valuable and good, and also that type is a ‘subtext’ to the real individual.

Plenty of explanations about what people expect, trust and appreciate, and how easy it is to get caught up in our own preconceived ideas. Lots of charts summarising how each of the sixteen Myers-Briggs types is most likely to react or behave under certain circumstances.

Of course, people are far more than their type, and these are not hard-and-fast rules for communication. But when there are personality clashes, it could well be worth referring to this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading title!, 3 Mar 2002
I bought a copy of this book in response to the reviews on this website. Whilst it describes the Myers-Briggs personality types in detail, at times I found it confusing and difficult to understand. The anecdotes help but they are few and far between. I have only read half of it and can't be bothered to read anymore as I have not followed most of it. It is not, as the title suggests, for the lay-person interested in studying Myers-Briggs in more detail, but more for the psychology student. I am more confused about the personality types than ever before and will have to buy another book to study. I would recommend you don't waste your money buying this as there are better books available.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book on personality types. Will save your life and greatly increase happiness through awareness, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the 16 Personality Types (Kindle Edition)
This book is phenomenal and exactly as it promises to be in every glorious way. Precise, descriptive and intelligently written for eager to learn readers and scholars alike! I will and have suggested this to everyone who knows of the MBTI and Jung theory basis on personality types. It's opened my eyes to the vast difference in not only how we are, but also why we are, why we say/do/respond and hear or interpret in the ways we do. If you are suffering from relationship difficulty, this is a real must! Marital or parental, this will transform your thinking and being awareness that you will either utilise to understand and repair or end the conflict and heal from it. Well worth the investment! You won't regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this review if you are a visual learner, 3 Nov 2009
This book was recommended to me by an organisational psychologist (with 25 years experience), so it might suit your learning style.

I've given it 1 star because I like a lot of visual aids in educational books. This book uses a dense black font. There are tables, but someone like me would appreciate helpful shaded areas. The authors use very long sentences that I felt could be summarised and still make the point. I found myself reading and re-reading pages of text but not taking much in. If I have to struggle too hard to concentrate, I start day-dreaming. There is interesting stuff in this book but for me I'd prefer the information to be presented in a more accessible way.

My MBTI course provider's manual combines text and images (some hilarious!) to great effect.

If I find a book to recommend, I'll update this entry.