5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sci-fi
I picked this book up from smashwords dot com for no price at all.

I was looking for something to start my kindle reading and while searching found this book, and thought I would give it a try.

Published on 24 Dec 2010 by Mr. J. Clements

3.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction
This is a story set in the future; the main character takes command of a very large space going military vessel and the story covers what happens to him and his crew. It appears that it was originally written as several books, then joined into the one.

Published on 6 Sep 2011 by Mole

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sci-fi, 24 Dec 2010
Mr. J. Clements (cardiff,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up from smashwords dot com for no price at all.

Have to say I am very glad that I did. The book is the first in a series of books under the title spinward fringe, each one represented by a different broadcast number.

I thought the book was very well written, the story kept me interested, and the building of the characters done to a good extent, such that I am still worried about the safety of one of the pilots who may or may not have survived.

Only way to find out is to purchase the rest of the series, and I fully intend to do that over the coming months.

If your into your sci-fi, don't mind getting into what could be a series of books that will be difficult to put down, then go for it, I am very glad that I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism, 11 Mar 2011
Hemzy (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I have no experience at writing book reviews but I have several friends who enjoy reading as much as I do and we often talk about our latest good reads. This is a book I will be happy to recommend to them, or at least those friends who like a bit of sci-fi.
I have one simple yardstick; did I enjoy the story?
In the case of "Origins", the answer was "Yes, I did". I enjoyed it sufficiently to order the next instalment for my Kindle.
Or should I say, instalments? The marketing is very astute. The first book is free, the second is actually two books for the price of the third.
I found myself easily drawn into the storyline and am actively looking forward to the following episodes.
It's by no means cutting edge literature but it is pure escapism and I like books which can give me that. You can't beat a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant. just brilliant, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
if you're a sci-fi fan, you could do a whole lot worse (and probably already have!) than to experience the brilliance of this series.

engaging characters that will soon become family, intriguing tech, fast paced plot and brilliantly staged space battles are just a hint of what awaits you in the 7 books of the series. book 8 is on the way, and can't come soon enough for me!

I read all 7 books in a week. couldn't stop - and more importantly didn't want to.

you won't regret experiencing Spinward Fringe.

trust me. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction, 6 Sep 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)

I'm a great fan of SF, and there are sections of the book that I really did enjoy. There are some great descriptive passages, and at points I really didn't want to put it down. However, I did also feel that at times the plot seemed to wander a bit; I think that some of the text could easily have been trimmed to make it move along a bit faster without adversely affecting the overall story.

Within the text are some concepts that would make for really great moral discussions, but I felt that the author missed the chance to make use of this to engage further with the reader; a pity as many of the really great SF stories do exactly that and I felt that this would lift the story quite considerably.

However, it's not a bad read and if you like SF, then you might well enjoy this. I may look out for other books by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I dont really write reviews but this book made me want to share my opinion.

The book may start off a bit slow to begin with because its just setting the scene but once it gets going i couldnt put it down. Absolutely brilliant read, i really enjoyed it, i liked the character development and i grew attached to many of them. Once the story ended i was disappointed because it left me WANTING MORE! i have downloaded the next 6 instalments of this series and managed to read Resurrection in a day!

i really like the way Randolph Lalonde has wrote this series and i cant get enough of it!

The first book origins was free and should definately get you hooked! =)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book for free, 26 Feb 2012
Mrs. C. L. Richardson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up for free for kindle and had it sitting there for a couple of weeks, it is a brilliant book with a good storyline. If you like it there are about 8 more books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the Trumpets ....... great freebie, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
Randolph Lalonde worked hard to create a fast-paced, entertaining sci-fi adventure, and it shows. The characters are great fun, the pacing is good, and the story is interesting. Unfortunately, his later books in this series don't seem to me to hold up as well to this first effort, and that's a shame, because Lalonde really is a great story-teller. Hopefully he will, in future endeavors, put in the careful work he has in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book from the first chapter. found myself caring about the crew and the dynamic and loved the story. A must read. Have now gone on to buy the next ones in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me glad I bought a Kindle, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I'm glad I bought a Kindle, otherwise I would have never come across a book like this, and it's free! A fantastic universe which had me buy all 7 books after reading Origins. One of the best sci-fi's I've read in years, well done to the author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Opportunity missed, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
Well I really enjoyed this book, it captured much of my imagination, as I would want it written, the constant improvements in the ship, new technology and most of the combat scenes were most enjoyable. I liked the way the relationships develop and especially liked the mmo aspect that brought the main characters together.

Didn't really think the last part of the book was necessary and I think some areas of the plot were overlooked, but perhaps those areas are coming in later books.

I found the book started slowing down a bit between 79-89% on my kindle, but still a good read.

Some very minor mistakes in grammar, and some annoying first person multiple roles. While I like the idea of trying to write both the first person hero and first person enemy in the first person, I do think it's a bit confusing. Found some of the chat confusing as I had to really try and follow who was saying what and it was pages back that the reader is given a clue.

On the whole a good read, I look forward to book two maybe, just the ending of the first book put me off a little and ordinarily if I had not enjoyed the read as much as I have I would stop there.

Origins (Spinward Fringe Book 0)
0.00