5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of Fresh Air.
I studied this book for English AS Level. Most of the texts we recieved during the year were dissapointing and i began to loathe the authors we had to study. Thankfully Simon Armitage was a complete breath of fresh air.

The first poem we read and deconstructed was 'I Say I Say I Say' which is moving and loaded with emotion.

Armitage has an...
Published on 30 July 2006 by K. Watkiss

3.0 out of 5 stars I Say I Say I Say
I must confess that I'm not a big fan of poetry. And to begin with... I hated this book. I'm studying it for English AS-level so that doesn't help things really. At first glance the poems seemed very obscure and unconventional and had no clear meaning - which I disliked.
Published on 8 Feb 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of Fresh Air., 30 July 2006
K. Watkiss - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dead Sea Poems (Paperback)

Armitage has an interesting and personal style of writing that sets him apart from his modern contenders.

Since i read this book, Armitage has become without a doubt my favourite poet.

I strongly recommend this book to all with an interest in contemporary poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Dead Sea Poems (Paperback)
Hadn't read Simon Armitage until looking at one of his poems with a GCSE class. He's witty enough to interest the kids, technical enough to interest the curriculum bods, and reflective enough to interest my own penchant for melancholia. And overall, this anthology is experimental, original, and well worth a dip in to.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Say I Say I Say, 8 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dead Sea Poems (Paperback)
But the more I reread the poems, the more I like that you can read so many different things into them and I like their quirkiness. My favourite is "I Say I Say I Say" which is a pretty vivid but play-down account of a suicide attempt. It's also encouraging to read poetry that is very un-cliched and original.
However this is not going to convert people like me into poetry fanatics and I feel Armitage's other collections are probably better introductions to his work and unique style. This makes fairly bleak reading as a lot of the poems focus around depression, self-harm and the search for some kind of meaning in life.

ARRAY(0xaaa70498)