4.0 out of 5 stars Feel good
This is a fun film from Coppola's production company. If it has any pretensions, I couldn't spot them and I simply suspend my disbelief and let myself be entertained.
Published on 28 Dec 2011 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic realism in escape from mainstream Hollywood fare
Published on 17 May 2012 by neal mc gonigle

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic realism in escape from mainstream Hollywood fare, 17 May 2012
This review is from: The Escape Artist [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
This is one of those hard to categorise films that linger in the memory. It starts intiguingly with a prison cell scene: a teenage boy in his briefs is being locked in a prison cell. He is double handcuffed, his hands behind his back and his ankles chained together. The cell door slams shut and his prison guards retreat to leave him alone to his thoughts. Where is this going, you ask yourself: is this a missing scene from the Saw franchise? The rest of the movie involves a flashback to explain this enigma. It's not exactly an edge of your seat scenario, but the whole thing progresses towards a dream like ending. Well worth purchasing, if you're prepared to try something that doesn't quite conform to genre expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel good, 28 Dec 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Film, 13 Nov 2011
Francis Ford chucking his money away (again)to provide us with superb entertainment.I love this film as the title might suggest pure escapism.If you want to feel good about yourself or anything, you may need a (perhaps) tonic or buck up, go to bed happy see this film!!
You will not be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An endearing and exciting story, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Escape Artist [DVD] [1982] (DVD)
Griffin O'neal, son of actor Ryan, is cute and winsome in this film, which I first saw on television years ago. He plays a misfit kid who is left more or less to his own devices and imagination and dreams of being an illusionist and escape artist like his father, in the style of Houdini. He falls foul of the crooked Mayor's spoiled son and finds himself in various risky situations. This Francis Ford Coppola film is probably not too well known, but is well worth a look if one enjoys a film that is a bit different. Maybe I loved it because of my own childhood where I had to escape inside myself and exist in my own imagination because of parental indifference and lack of guidance which left me without ambition or a clear pathway through life. Resulting in confusion and lack of confidence, which I think is a theme of this film.

The Escape Artist [DVD] [1982]
The Escape Artist [DVD] [1982] by Caleb Deschanel (DVD - 2011)
14.31