5.0 out of 5 stars Former sceptic now sold ...
I purchased this product despite having had some previous scepticism regarding these protein shakes.

Published 6 months ago by Belle Noir

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this flavor
Very filling. Unfortunately it does not mix well (used a Blender Bottle with ball) and it tastes disgusting. First few sips I had convinced myself it was OK but I struggled to finish it. Worst tasting protein shake I've tried.
Published 2 months ago by Shady Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Former sceptic now sold ..., 10 April 2014
Belle Noir (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PhD Diet Whey Vanilla Creme 2 kg (Personal Care)

My primary reason for finally purchasing was as a weight loss 'companion'. I am not using Phd to try and reduce my calories, but as a nutritional supplement/meal replacement, given that when you are trying to lose weight on a controlled calorie diet, it can be difficult to consume the amount of protein that you need. I use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories and to provide me with guidelines as to the amount of carbs, fat, protein which I should be consuming each day. Thanks to Phd, I am finally meeting my 'target' where protein is concerned.

My first shake I consumed with water. Big mistake (one that almost put me off having any more shakes!), it is much MUCH tastier when taken with skimmed milk (or, soy milk, possibly). With water alone I found the taste unpleasant.

For my first order, I chose the vanilla creme - a good call. I have since tried a few other flavours and below is my personal assessment of them:

1) Vanilla creme - 9/10 - the best so far - tastes like vanilla custard, or vanilla cheesecake in my husband's opinion.
2) Strawberry - 8/10 - another good one and revives childhood memories of strawberry angel delight!
3) Belgian chocolate - 5/10 - something of a disappointment, the flavour is bland, not very chocolatey and not as good as the above two flavours, in my opinion. It also appears more difficult to mix - lumps occur more frequently. I wouldn't purchase this particular flavour again.

I have yet to try the white choc and choc orange flavours.

It has to be said that ALL flavours taste sweet, having plenty of sweetener added. I notice that where negative feedback on this product is left, the majority is from those who apparently do not have a sweet tooth. If this is you then perhaps you may wish to look for unsweetened alternatives.

Others have left negative feedback claiming that the shakes are too gritty, that it is 'like drinking sand', etc. I personally have not found this to be the case, but then again I have been in the habit of giving my shakes 10 mins or so to 'settle' after mixing, before I drink them. I am convinced that this results in a thicker, smoother shake than would otherwise be the case. However, for those who can only tolerate shakes with a perfectly smooth consistency, it may be wise to bypass this particular product, as no matter how vigorous the shaking or prolonged the settling time, some small particles will remain.

The total calories of a two scoop shake with 300ml skimmed milk (I like my shakes slightly thicker than the recommended 350mls) is still only 287kcals - based on the vanilla creme.

As I said above - I use Phd as a meal replacement (for lunch), as opposed to having e.g. sandwich/salad/soup - which by and large would be approximately the same calories. The advantage (aside from the nutritional values) which Phd has over soup or sandwiches, is that it is slow to metabolise. To my surprise, this one shake keeps me going until teatime - I have no hunger or lack of energy with it ... which I could not have said in respect of any of the generic 'meal replacement' shakes on the market.

In terms of preparation, when packing for lunch in the morning, it could not be easier. I just place 2 scoops of shake powder into a small tupperware container, grab my Phd shaker, and go.

At lunch, I pour 300ml of skimmed milk into the shaker, then add the shake powder (whatever you do ... don't add powder then milk, or it will stick in clumps to the bottom of your shaker). Screw on the lid tightly, shake very vigorously for around 30secs or so (good exercise) et voila, a delicious tasting shake is yours. No more worrying about what to make for a packed lunch in the morning.

In terms of weight loss ...well as I have said above, it is helping keep hunger pangs at bay, and I have lost a stone as a result. Unexpectedly, my skin is in significantly better condition - much more so than on previous diets, so better diet alone probably does not account for that.

According to my Withings scales, I have slightly more lean mass than the last time I was at my current weight, so perhaps Phd is helping with that, but even if not, I'm sold on its other benefits.

This former sceptic has been convinced, and will return to buy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - Highly recommend!, 29 Aug 2014
I haven't used any protein product before but after reading mostly good reviews and it being recommended by my brother who is a personal trainer, I decided to give it a try as he said it would be a good product to aid with my weight loss and protein intake.

I decided to go with the Strawberry flavour to start off with and was surprised how nice tasting it was with just water! After reading reviews that it tasted horrible I was slightly apprehensive I wouldn't like it but it really was lovely and did not struggle to chug it down at all, yes you cant shake all the bits out so its 100% smooth but thats due to the flax seed which in my case doesn't bothet me or hinder the shake at all.

I use this protein as a meal replacement for breakfast with skimmed milk so it fills me up until lunch and then after I workout with water. It definately keeps me satisfied until my next meal and have found it very beneficial to my workouts as I have more energy and feel I perform better. After only using this product for 2 weeks alongside healthy eating and regular exercise I have lost 6 pounds so far aswell as having a flatter stomach and having a less bloated feeling.

I am very happy with this product and will continue to buy more whilst working on my weight loss journey and would definately recommend it to anyone who wants to kick start their healthy lifestyle :)

5.0 out of 5 stars White chocolate flavour is very nice..., 20 Aug 2014
Me read (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm using this as a meal replacement and I like it much better than slim fast and the like. Just because it's targeted and marketed towards those trying to build their bodies shouldn't put you off if you're just interested in the weight loss benefits without the need to build muscle. Yes, it's brilliant as a body building protein shake, but it is also a great alternative to the bland, tasteless shake powders that are targeted at those of us trying to maintain weight.

I tried one scoop with water to start with and in all honesty it's really nasty like that. Bleurgh! Much better with milk (I use soy milk). I've tried it with coconut water and that's not much nicer than regular water but with coconut milk it's quite tasty.

It's a bit hard to mix if you don't have a shaker (like me) but what I do is put a scoop in a tall tumbler and then add a little bit of milk and really go at it to mix it into a fairly stiff paste. I keep adding a little more milk and stirring it well between additions and eventually it'll end up well mixed and no lumps.

I got the deluxe white chocolate flavour and it tastes great. A 1kg bag has lasted me ages just using one scoop a day for a breakfast shake. It's really quite filling and I find that after one of these in the morning I'm not in the mood for anything else to eat until lunchtime so it's been helping cut out a mid morning snack too.

I haven't tried the other flavours yet but I'm almost at the end of this bag and will try the strawberry next as I see it's been getting the thumbs up from others.

I'd recommend it, definitely. Works out much cheaper in the long run than slim fast too.

5.0 out of 5 stars best flavour whey, 29 Jan 2014
This is a great whey protein for women, as it is very low in calories and carbs and won't lead to undesired weight gain. I personally use two scoops in total on workout days, which add up to about 180 kcal.
PHD also contains a decent amount of CLAs and Green Tea extract, which saves me taking those pills.

What makes this whey perfect in my eyes is the taste, however. It is so yummy if blended with 1/2 a banana, or even just on its own, plus it's great for baking with too!

High protein blueberry pancakes: blend one scoop of PHD white chocolate whey, 1 egg white, 1 tbs of whole psyllium husks and some almond milk, then add 1tbs of blueberries.
Use your smallest pan and add 1/2 ts of coconut oil, to avoid sticking. Finally, don't forget to top the finished pancakes with 1ts of agave syrup, or 1tbs of coconut yoghurt blended with fresh vanilla, or add more blueberries to taste. A real feast for nutrition conscious girls!

4.0 out of 5 stars tasted good, 28 July 2013
bronagh (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Nice protein, just remember to put your milk or water in your shaker first as it may stick to the bottom.

5.0 out of 5 stars This powder mixes easily even if shook by hand for a few seconds ..., 24 July 2014
Ignore the trolls! This powder mixes easily even if shook by hand for a few seconds in a sealed top container. Its tastes delicious and is a very cheap source of protein, when compared to other ways of obtaining 34 grams from food, never mind the hard work consuming the amount of food necessary. In combination with weight training and a healthy eating plan I have lost 2 stones in 9 weeks and shaping up beyond my expectations even at the age of 67. At less than a £1 for 34grms of protein I will be using this here- on as part of my daily diet and consider it a part of my weekly food bill. ps: put water in container first and then the powder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Protein! Worth a try, 4 Aug 2014
This is a great protein shake! I normally purchase Optimum Nutrition chocolate/Strawberry whey protein as its by far the best out there in terms of mixability and composition, however I wanted try something a little different and decided to go with this white chocolate flavour PHD protein (as white chocolate ON protein is unavailable in UK). I'm generally very picky with protein flavours as some are truly rank (ON Rocky road being the worst Ive ever had). I'm so glad that I tried this one as its a really nice flavour even though it doesn't really taste of white chocolate but more vanilla/cookie(ish) milkshake taste, its still a good blend though and doesn't taste overly of sweeteners. The mix does seem to stick to the shaker and interestingly comes out really thick when mixed with water but you don't really get lumps or anything, even though flax seed is in it. Id recommend trying this protein as there is much worse out there. In terms of effectiveness, using the recommended servings does seem to be working well and Ive not had any stomach trouble at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars PhD Diet Whey Works!!!!!!!, 17 Sep 2014
Best protein shake I've ever bought!!!! I take it in the morning (1.5 scoop) as a food supliment (no time to cook/eat breakfast) and it keeps me full all day... Even Past lunch time. Then I eat proper food because I'm going to the gym in the afternoon/evening. (Then I consume the remaining quantity (1.5 scoop) immediately after to rebuild my muscles....
The only down side for me is, because I'm very sensitive to caffein (green tea) if I take it very late at night I find that I can't sleep properly.. Or sleep at all...
But overall best protein shake but so far... And it's at a great price.
The taste is great!!!! Not overly sweeten No need to use milk... I find it a little bit thick so I add extra water.
Depend on how active you are and or your excersice régime, you should be able to see result straight away... Losing weight and muscles definition...
In 3 days and I've lost 1.3kg. But I'm very active and I go to the gym as much as my body allows me..(4/5 days a week; 2 hours each time)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great, 13 Feb 2014
For me I love sweet things, and I enjoy the taste,17g of protein which is just the right amount for me (female) and it's a great post workout (great in pancakes too) would recommend it to everyone who works out

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, 4 Sep 2013
Good texture and very fulfilling after a workout,tastes good and it does help to curb the craving for sweet things

PhD Diet Whey Vanilla Creme 2 kg