5.0 out of 5 stars Very quick and as expected!
These were fantastic value for money, and I know they will last me a while as I have to build up. Some exercises I find I need to take off a couple of weights like the abs, so it's great that the 10Kg per dumbell is broken up into 6 weights on each.
The plastic collars really don't bother me. They tighten perfectly and don't budge.
These specific weights don't...
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by matt22sound

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but better alternatives
I will start off this review by saying that you would be better off buying the Pro Power 20kg Cast Iron Dumbells from Argos. They are better in all but a small handful of ways, and consistently cheaper. The York weights are good, they do the job, but the Pros are just better.

Published 18 months ago by Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quick and as expected!, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
These specific weights don't normally come with the rubber around the metal, and from the complaints I hear about the bare metal from people who are starting weight training (hands aren't roughened up), this is a great solution. I worked with these for about an hour today and didn't hurt my hands at all.
Super fast delivery. Came within 2 days, Free P&P.
Fantastic.

They don't come with a carry case, but then again, why would ever need it? And I hear it breaks anyway

Many Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth getting, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
As a student, I'm pretty broke. I wanted to join a gym, but couldn't justify the 20~30 pound per month fee. I decided to get these and started to work on a new routine.

With these weights, I can effectively do the following exercises:
Shoulders: Shoulder press; lateral raises; front raises; bent over raises; shrugs
Arms: Bicep curls; tricep extensions; tricep kickbacks
Legs: Dumbell squats; dumbell lunges
Chest' Flys
Back: Lawnmower (one arm) rows; bent over rows

I then combine these exercises with jogging around a lake by my house, and using monkey bars at the park for pull ups/chin ups, hanging leg raises, and do push ups and sit ups at home.

So I have cut out the middle-man (the gym) saving myself a lot of money. The dumbells have allowed me to focus on a lot of muscle groups that would be difficult to do using bodyweight-only exercises. They are made from metal with nice rubber-gripped handles. Not much more to say really. My only gripe is these little crappy plastic spinlocks that loosen a little after every set of exercises.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but better alternatives, 27 May 2013
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)

First of all, my experience with delivery (done by HDNL) was utterly awful. I ordered these on the 8th of May and only received them on the 26th because one of my 200 neighbours brought the item to me. I live in university halls and despite the fact that the address on the box was clearly correct and I was in my flat waiting to receive the item, the delivery man decided to give my weights to building 34 instead of 37, without posting anything to me stating where my delivery had gone. It is PURE luck that I managed to get these in the end at all. I ended up buying the Pro Power set I mentioned as well as this set because I thought these were lost for good.

On to the actual product. My main gripe, as has been stated by others, is that the bar is INCREDIBLY rough. You basically have no choice but to wear gloves unless you have some urgent need to violently exfoliate your palms. I understand this is probably to improve the grip, but I have no difficulty holding the Pro Power set despite their much smoother bar. Additionally, the York bars are slightly wider and less ergonomic than the Pro Powers, which is a bit of a pain in the neck for someone with tiny hands like mine.

There's little to say about the weights themselves. The York ones are nice and compact so they're nice and easy to move around and store. There's a few little chips and scrapes to the paint, but nothing too major. I'd say their smaller size is more or less the ONLY way in which the York weights are superior to the Pro's. York's spinlock collars are made of worryingly light feeling plastic whereas the Pro collars are metal. I've not had the chance to use the Yorks a lot yet, so I'm not sure if plastic collars are any more likely to slip, but the fact is that metal collars simply feel more durable. It also takes a lot more fiddling to get the plastic ones onto the end of the bar, which is a pain in the neck when you want change the weight you're lifting.

TLDR; Buy Pro Power weights from Argos instead of these if you can. Both serve their purpose equally well, but the Pro's will save you the strife of godawful delivery and chafed hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set of bars, 21 July 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
This dumbbell set is great for a beginner, or as an addition to a home weight set. These dumbbells come with rubber grip handles and are superior to metal grip handles because they're not abrasive on the hands. The only downside to this product for me was the plastic collars.

This is the second set of these dumbbells I've purchased and I'm very please with both. I would recommend anyone considering serious use of these dumbbells to purchase metal collars direct from York for only a around £4.00 per pair because on both of my sets at least one of the plastic collars has not been able to spin on the bar or locks up after a few spins. Being plastic they are also not going to be as resistant to damage as metal and the plastic thread can easily become damaged or worn with regular use, rendering these collars inferior to metal ones.

There is no reason for these dumbbells to require replacing in the near or distant future and I fully expect these to last a lifetime with care and appropriate use (i.e. not dropping them to the floor after a set).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for beginners, 27 July 2011
hassan (Copenhagen, DK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
I ve had the gym membership for a year now and haven't been there more than once. So I decided to get something I cld use at home. The dumbells look exactly like the ones in the picture and are of very good quality considering the price range. I am sure they would easily last a v long time for me. I have no problems with the plastic collars, they fit perfectly well and stay fixed once set. The weight per dumbell is 10 kg which is more than fine for me as a beginner. Also, the delivery was quite fast as well. All in all, a very happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 July 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
Great weights. Nice build quality & the grip is actually comfortable (rubbery) ... I bought gloves to go with this set but I don't even think I need to use them to be honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Much Perfect, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
I ordered these a just over a week ago, and have had them for a few days now, so I dont know what they're going to be like after years of use, but what i do know is that they will last that long.

The spin lock bars are of particularly good quality, and the rubber grip around the centre makes them easy to grip yet not rough on the hands, so no Weightlifting gloves needed here.

The weights them self, well are exactly that, weights, nothing special about them, but they weigh what they say they do and have no major miss formations in them.

The only reason i didnt give 5 stars is for one thing:

the spin lock collars are only made of plastic, now although it is heavy duty plastic, i would of rathered metal collars with rubber washers. saying that, they work just as good, they tighten up well, and are yet to come loose mid workout.

Another thing to take note of, that the weights dont add up to 20Kg, it is the weight and bars that add up to this, (you can check it in the info about included weights)
Finally, i would like to point out, if you are planning on doing any serious training with these think again, 10Kg per dumbbell isnt enough to beef you out like Mr Schwarzenegger so i would recommend also purchasing a couple of extra 5Kg weights with this set

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome items of heavyness, 18 July 2014
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
These dumbbells are great, they look excellent in the corner of my room and when visitors come around they think I am stronger than I look. I am very pleased with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent set of weights for beginner weightlifters, 25 Jun 2011
William Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
I bought this set in an attempt to increase my strength as an alternative to purchasing a gym membership and they have been fantastic. Firstly, the fact that the 10kg on each dumbbell is divided into six disks is very useful as it allows you to customize the weight you are lifting by removing a couple of disks on the exercises that require lower weights.
The build quality of the disks and bars is excellent and I have no doubt that they will last a very long time. The plastic grip on the bar is very easy on your hands - other bars without this grip that I have tried have caused blistering which is not a problem I have experienced with this set, even after intensive use. The plastic collars are adequate - they are secure and don't come undone.
Just to let you know, I have weighed this set on my scales and each dumbbell does weigh almost exactly 10kg.
Overall, these are definitely the best value weights on the market. I would thoroughly recommend them for anyone looking to increase their strength. Great quality weights set.

If you end up finding the weight to easy then I recommend purchasing the York Standard Cast Iron Disc X4 set.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word. Fantastic., 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set (Sports)
These weights are truly incredible. They offer mind blowing value for money, the cast iron weights are very well made and I will like to think they'll last me a lifetime. The physical construction of the product is fantastic, and the picture represents this well. The rubber handles mean no gloves needed and the plastic spinlocks, in my honest opinion, are better than the metal ones. As for Amazon's delivery, I opted for the Free Super Saver Delivery. To my delight, the 20kg, yes 20kg, item was received within 2 days! If anybody is in doubt about buying this product, I would definetely recommended the product. 5* product, 5* service, 5* satisfaction!

York 20kg Cast Iron Dumbbell Set