on 28 April 2009
This is must have reference book for your library / studies. If electrical science is your subject but maths is not your forte, then I suggest you buy this book.It contains clear illustrations, well worked examples and a plethora of questions for you to practice on.

Ideal for those studying for 2330 level 2 especially units 202 and 203.

A couple of the sections relate to level 3, but this makes a good introduction to that level. There are also practical sections relating to cable sizing, voltage drop and materials costing.

I would recoomend this book and the level 3 book to any student of electrical installation. Electrical Installation Calculations: Advanced: For Technical Certificate and NVQ Level 3 Advanced
on 17 July 2012
do yourself a favour guys and give this book a wide berth. im an electrician trying to emigrate to oz and was recommended this book via a forum as a refresher towards a written exam i have to sit to emigrate.

the formulas are not explained in-depth enough, there are questions and answers after each section but the majority of the questions asked are not explained prior to these, making them very hard to answer unless you have a tutor on hand to maybe explain them to you, which i dont. the book only caused frustration because i thought there was something i must be missing but they are simply not explained as to how to calculate.
also one of the questions it asks to complete a table, the answers are written differently in the back as they are asked in the question. absolutely pathetic attempt at a revision booklet..... save yourselves 10 quid and look else where
on 27 March 2012
This is a good book that does a good job of
showing you how to work out eletrical calculations.
But as for any of the answers, i would give them
a Z-.

Exercise 1 question 15
Add the following resistances together and give the answer in ohms:

18.4 ohms
0.00012 ohms
956000 micro ohms (0.956 ohms)

Answer 139.356 ohms
I make it 19.356

Additional questions and answers

Question 31:

Which of the following is not a statutory document:

Answer Health and Safety at Work act 1974
I think it could be IEE Wiring regulations BS7671: 2001

I think we should tell the pm that HASAWA 1974 is not a
act of parliament.
on 27 May 2011
This book is realy good when it comes to the information contained in it. How ever I must agree with some of the other reviews when it comes to the question and answer sections. I surpose that if I'm picking up these mistakes the book is teaching me somthing.
on 15 July 2012
Nice book, but bad explanations.
If you want to understand subjects like Ohms law, and 3 face, this book will make you had bust and you will not be able to understand it.
Except subjects like health and safety...
on 23 May 2013
This book should be listed in the fiction section. The answers to the exercises contain so many errors it could even be listed in the comedy section. What a joke. I wasted so much time checking my answers. It wouldn't be so bad if the answers showed the calcs, but they don't. It's a waste of paper and money. Don't buy it.
on 20 February 2011
I note that so far, only 'N.M. Block' has highlighted the extraordinary amount of incorrect answers in this book. I would like to agree with his rating, and wonder why so many other reviewers have rated it so highly. Have they not done all the exercises yet or checked their answers?
There's some useful explanatory notes before many of the sections which help with the maths processes and formulas, and some of the questions are pleasingly tough! But this book failed when it came to the mistakes, and I also think that it would have been useful if the answers section had included the WORKING OUT of the solutions. This way we could have understood why our answers differed, and benefitted if we were unsure of the method required.
With the correct answers and working out, this book would definitely have been worth a 5* rating. As it is, buyers will just have to use the exercises as maths practice and not be completely sure if they've done it right.
on 6 May 2009
The word Maths can strike terror into the heart of many a student and these books use simple language and steps to help the reader understand the maths that is used within electrical installations. This may be the Eighth edition and you may wonder how maths can change over the years. However with the introduction and use of calculators these books now help the reader not only to carry out the calculations but how to use a calculator to achieve the end result, a tool that wasn't available for the first edition! The books have also been updated so that references to the wiring regulations are current. The books are well laid out, very simple to read and contains numerous worked examples and practice calculations. These are excellent reference books for anyone working in or studying the Electrical Installation industry
on 14 January 2010
I am on the second chapter of this book and already dismayed at how many of the answers at the back of the book are wrong! Before you dismiss this as MY maths error, read on and see for yourself.

An example:
Exercise 2, question 4: "Find the volume of a copper bar 6m long and 25mm by 8mm in cross section."

My answer: volume = length x width x height
If calculated in metres (bearing in mind that some of the dimensions are given in mm) this would be...

6m x 0.025m x 0.008m = 0.0012 metres cubed.

Answer in back: 1.2 metres cubed WRONG

Another example:
Exercise 2, question 9: "A storage tank has internal dimesions of 526mm x 630mm x 1240mm. Calculate the volume of the tank allowing an additional 15%"

My answer: volume = length x width x height
If calculated in metres this would be 0.526 x 0.63 x 1.24 = 0.4109 metres cubed
Multiply this by 1.15 to get the volume plus 15% = 0.473 metres cubed.

Answer in back: 2.755m (the answer isn't even given in metres cubed!!!) WRONG

Am I going mad? Am I doing something completely stupid that I haven't picked up on? Out of an exercise of 10 questions, 5 of them gave incorrect answers in the back, and I've double and triple checked them. And this is basic stuff as well. I am concerned that when it gets to the more tricky calculations I will not know whether I've made a mistake, or the book has. For this reason I think using this book could be quite detrimental to learning.

Proceed with caution.
on 13 October 2013
An outstanding book because the layout is excellent and understandable not only for myself but I have recommended the book to my students, it is actually a reference that you could carry and use on site if required.