Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 March 2011
The songs on this album are very beautiful, and I love how relatable the lyrics are on most of them. I know some people aren't keen on Ailyn's voice, but I actually think her vocals can be rather captivating...she has such a nice tone to her voice, I find it fits the music well. The guitar solos and the choir are all still there, so that's good. The only thing I'd say is yes it's very similar to the 13th floor (hence 4 stars rather than 5)...but I still enjoy listening to this album so much! My favourite tracks are Fading Star, The Enigma Of Life & All My Dreams <3 <3 <3
on 6 February 2011
I love Sirenia, that's the place to start, the way they've slowly changed their sound on each album. From 'At Sixes And Sevens' to 'An Elixir', 'Nine Destinies' (my favourite), and 'The 13th Floor' all excellent albums in their own way. And it's the differences from each album that for me makes them all great. So what about 'The Enigma', it appears the changes have stopped, this is a good cd, but much too similar to '13th floor' to be great. Having said that, it's still a very good album. Maybe in time it'll grow on me more as an individual rather than 'the 13th floor' disc 2.
on 16 February 2012
I didn't buy this for a long while having been put off by the previous album, The 13th Floor. Now I know that lots of people liked that album but I have never really been able to get into it. That might have been due to high expectations after the previous Sirenia albums which are all fantastic.
However, I did eventually buy it and I like it a lot more than 13th Floor. (Maybe because my expectations were this time low!) It is similar in feel to 13th F. but for me, the songs all stand out a bit more. I found the 13th F. tracks all a bit similar to each other.
Overall I am a fan of Sirenia's earlier work and the songs on this don't give me the goose pimple factor but it's a good listen and let's face it, anything Morten Veland turns his hand to is good. So I give it 4 stars. Buy it, you'll like it.
on 26 March 2011
I was looking for to this album ,since I loved 13th floor.I am not disappointed.This is one of the best symphonic metal album of the year so far.Thanks for this brilliant music guys.
on 28 January 2011
I've been greatly looking forward to this album, being a big fan of The 13th Floor and Nine Destinies and a Downfall. I have to say on first listen, it didn't exactly knock my socks off, but after a couple of repeat plays, it's grown on me greatly.

After several line-up changes, the band seem to have settled on their female vocalist, Ailyn. Indeed, Ailyn is the only singer to date to feature on two of Sirenia's albums, and she sounds great on this latest release.

I'd have to select the single - The End of It All - as being the best track on the album. It's classic Sirenia sound. Other tracks of note are The Twilight In Your Eyes and Winter Land - although there aren't any poor tracks on the album in my opinion.

I have to admit that I haven't heard much of Sirenia's work before Nine Destinies. In my view, this album is superior to Nine Destinies, but on similar ground to The 13th Floor.

I'd recommend this to any fan of 13th Floor.
on 7 February 2011
This cd is incredibly beautiful given the fact that Ailyn is a brilliant singer. Although not as heavy as the 13th Floor, the vocal is more upfront and the singing by Ailyn is closed to perfection. The acoustic version of the Enigma of Life is as good as the standard version and you can find some beautiful lead guitar work by Morten Veland in some of the songs.
on 25 March 2011
The Enigma of Life by Serenia is the first Album i have listened too from this band. At first i was not sure i would like it,
however, after a listening to the album a few times it grew on me and i enjoyed it.
on 27 February 2011
There are no surprises with this album, if you know their last offering, The 13th Floor, then this is in the same vein. Morten Velend seems to have found a formula he is comfortable with for this project of his., a radio friendly female fronted easy listening rock sound. Gone are the more experimental structures of the earlier albums and his vocals are few and far between. If you want the "other side" of Morten checkout Mortemia. For existing fans this is an essential purchase and may also tempt a few converts, before going back to his older works and Tristania's first 2 excellent albums.
on 25 January 2011
Oh dear this is a long way from the Sirenia we know and love.

There are two reasons for this - a turn to a more poppy direction in terms of arrangements (I can live with that). The second reason - the awful vocals from Ailyn. I'm surprised that Morten Veland has given her another run out after the last album The 13th Floor (a slightly better album than this). Ailyn is often flat and even when she's in tune sounds really whiny. She has a good pop voice, but no sense of rock or metal dynamics as you hear from singers such as Epica's Simone Simons.

And then there are the problems of Ailyn's accent creeping into the performance. I'm sure for many fans over the world who aren't necessarily native English speakers it doesn't matter so much, but to hear her constantly singing words like "rise" as "rice" just gets on my nerves. Some none-English bands take the time to solve these issues when recording - Lacuna Coil worked hard on this for the last record - it's a shame Sirenia hasn't.

We've lost the dark almost-80s sounding gothic sound from the earlier records, and that hint of Paradise Lost style doom, we've even got much less vocal action from Veland too. It's a real shame. Sirenia has released some great records, but if you've not bought At Sixes and Sevens then do yourself a favour, get that instead. It's a brilliant piece of work.
55 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2015