on 9 September 2011
The mounts are made of metal! YEY!!

They are not cheap, compared to similar offerings, but they are worth the extra. The locking action is fluid and solid, knowing that your setup won't "droop" out of place. The fact that you have a removable cold shoe, with adjustable width for different flashes is a bonus. I usually have the cold shoe on when using my flashes with an ST-E2, and replace it with a cold shoe to miniphone cable when using the flashes with radio triggers.

The umbrella support is decent, with a large knurled screw to keep it in place.

The other knobs are spring loaded, keeping them always from falling or rattling.

Overall it's a great product and well worth the money!
on 8 December 2011
This cold-shoe umbrella mount could be designed slightly better, the screws used to tighten up the umbrella holder and cold-shoe are perfectly circular heads, so they're very difficult to grip and get enough friction and tighten securely - which leads to the umbrella slipping.
A way to get around this is by using a screwdriver, as the heads all have a screwdriver fitting, however I can't understand why they wouldn't just put nicer heads on the tightening screws.

As for the rest of the device; it looks strong and well made, it's metal and is robust so can take a few knocks. The cold shoe of my canon 480EXII fits well and seems very secure when tightened into place. The hole for the umbrella arm is large which allows for a good range of thicknesses.

If you don't mind carrying a screwdriver with you, or just shoot in a studio; I would recommend this product. I travel with my gear a lot and extra tools are a hassle as it's one more thing to lose.
on 27 December 2011
It's mostly metal construction, doesn't droop with flash and umbrella attached. I removed the plastic cold shoe and screwed an iShoot wireless receiver on instead. Fast delivery. Quite well made, in fact I decided to buy a second one :-)
on 2 March 2012
I had previously purchased a ball swivel mount which pretty poor and has since jammed tight so I wanted to find a product that would do the job properly this time. I am happy to report I have found such an item! This fit my 3rd party flash no problem and sits very nicely on my existing light stand. It also has the added bonus of having a screw fitting for my tripod so, if I feel the need, I can now add a second light source without having to carry yet another light stand around! All in all, i'm very happy with this mount...particularly for the fairly low cost!
on 1 November 2011
Item arrived days with 3days so quite speedy tbf and actual unit is solid. Its a good little piece of kit although the cold shoe is a bit rubbish, I managed to strip mine literally IMEDIATELY as tbf it is just plastic and this was with gentle force. Im going to try and use a bigger screw so it "works" again. good point is though that although it stripped I can STILL use the mount as you can just unscrew the cold shoe off and use the male screw underneath if you have a cold shoe (usually come with flashes). Other than that its great and I can still use so its fine!
on 24 March 2012
Has an adapter that allows a screw mount to the tripod. Well made and very fast delivery - used on a VDO shoot for interview with umbrellas and does the job quite nicely. Match it with a couple of battery powered LEDs and that's the lighting sorted.
on 25 August 2011
This little mount is very well made, its feels sturdy and fits on my lighting stand easily. I mount it with an umbrella and a flash (sb-700)with a trigger attached and it holds it all firmly in place. What more could you ask for.

It's got a good weight to it which gives you confidence its well-made, Very good value for money, and it arrived the next day with standard delivery.

Very impressed.
on 12 January 2012
I bought a pair of these to attach to a pair of light stands I had recently bought. I am very impressed with the quality and was surprised to see they are metal considering the price.
on 21 August 2013
I bought the 'Westcott 43-inch Optical Satin Collapsible with Removable Black Cover' and 'kaavie - Multi-function Adjustable Cold Shoe Mount Umbrella Light Stand' together and although both were very good for the price - about £15 & £7 respectively. But, the hole in the stand was slightly too small for the umbrella. I dont know where the fault lay but a couple of minutes with a drill (to the hole in the stand) sorted it out and now they work a treat! Bear this in mind but I wouldn't hesstitate to buy either again.
on 5 April 2013
This device is at the premium price end of the range for Chinese products but still a good deal cheaper than the industry standard Manfrotto model which I also use. The Manfrotto one is excellent but much larger and heavier than this one which is what I needed. It does the job and the main castings are well made. The main problem with this unit is poor attention to detail. The threaded section that the cold-shoe screws onto is set into the top casting at a slight angle which therefore throws the flash gun off at an angle also. Not a big issue, more cosmetic than anything, but a bit irritating. This threaded piece also needs to be a few milimetres longer.
The locking cold shoe is well made but the two halves have a very sloppy fit. The head of the locking screw needs to be a bit bigger and has sharp burrs where the slot has been machined into it (on both of the units I bought).
The locking ring, needed to enable the shoe to line up with the brolly shaft, is thin and plastic. It does the job at present but I don't expect it to be too long before the thread strips. This should definitely be metal - especially since this unit is 2 or 3 times the price of other Chinese models.
On the plus side the ratcheted tilting mechanism is very good. You don't need to tighten the locking screw very much to prevent any form of movement. Another BIG plus - this was the only unit that I checked out that specified the diameter of the brolly shaft! This is a vital piece of information if you already have the brollies or if you need to order some.
Now, will someone please produce on of these devices that will allow you to fit the cold shoe vertically so that the speedlight (in its unbent mode) can lie close to the brolly shaft - on its side so that you can still see the display and get at the controls.