4.0 out of 5 stars good but not brilliant!
Published on 11 Feb. 2011 by planetman

1.0 out of 5 stars Across the board AWFUL product
Published 5 months ago by Ruishanko

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not brilliant!, 11 Feb. 2011
purchased this due to rave reviews in auto express. Generally works fine but takes a bit of setting up as instructions are basic to say the least. The sound quality when making a call is not good for the receiver of the call but is fine in the vehicle through the built in speaker. I purchased this as an option to having an earpiece and it does its' job but is more suited to people who spend longer journeys or a lot of time in the vehicle. By the time I have put the screen mount on, plugged the charging cables in and then remember to set phone to bluetooth I am late setting off.
It is undoubtedly a good product and the phonebook option is splendid too - I do however feel that an earpiece would have suited my needs best. That is not the parrots' fault that is a buying error!
For anyone doing journeys of 20 mins and over every day it would be brilliant.
I gave 4 stars as it is a very good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Across the board AWFUL product, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Parrot Minikit Smart Universal Bluetooth Car Kit (Accessory)
Awful product. Very poor build quality, was rattling so loudly in the car it was extremely distracting. Sound quality is so poor that it was not even useable unless I stopped the car. Voice recognition was terrible, kept calling random people on my address list, resulting in talking to ex girlfriends, and long forgotten work colleagues. Honestly, I got so frustrated with mine (I was stupid enough to buy two) that on a long car trip, I had to stop on a bridge and throw them into a lake. DO NOT waste your money on this s**t.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 17 Oct. 2013
Excellent for the price. Volume is good and connection to phone is good also. Does what it says on the tin !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Product failed within a month, replaced with new unit and then failed just before the warranty ran out., 24 Mar. 2014
Parrot failed to replace this unit as the serial numbers did not match, which was due to the early failure of the base unit control knob. would not but another one of these ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 14 Mar. 2014
I had a Parrot Minikit Slim for about 4 years, and when it 'gave up the ghost' I thought I'd replace it with the Minikit Smart. Oh dear! For a start, the microphone quality is truly appalling. To callers I sound like I am either under water or turning into a dalek. Compared to the Minikit Slim this unit is virtually unusable. I have tried re-siting the microphone but it made little difference.

Secondly, the phone I am using (HTC One) which the Parrot website says is fully compatible, does not function correctly when linked to the unit. The Minikit Smart has a 'power-through' facility whereby the phone can be charged from a USB socket using the supplied cable. Unfortunately, my phone (like many modern units) uses MTP (media transfer protocol) which means that if the provided data lead is connected the charge rate is reduced. The effect of this is that I cannot use satnav on my phone as the discharge rate is greater than the charge rate, so the battery drains in a couple of hours - not good if I'm on a long journey! I contacted Parrot about this, but they were less than helpful.

Have returned it for a refund, and will buy an HTC V100 bluetooth speaker instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking bit of kit., 7 Sept. 2013
After reading some of the reviews on here and in other places I was a bit hesitant at buying this item. I have just upgraded my phone to a Nokia Lumia 925 and wanted to make use of the built in Satnav. So after looking at various options I decided to go with the Parrot Smart.

All I can so far is that it is an excellent piece of equipment. Once out of the box I panicked a little because the unit started to talk to me in Dutch. The manual thankfully comes in various languages and the straightforward instructions explained how to go onto the Parrot site and download the latest software update for English UK. You will need a USB stick for this because the update is downloaded onto the stick. You then plug the stick into the unit and follow the instructions. The update took all of 2 minutes, then a lovely English Female Voice informs you that the update was complete. So very easy and effortless.

My phone fitted very snuggly into the unit and was held in tight, no way would it slip or vibrate out, the cushion pads really do hold it in tight. Just a word of warning, anything larger than a Lumia 925 will just not fit into the unit, so please check the size of your phone first.

After a bit of tinkering I soon learned how to use the controls. Red button switches on, off and ends calls, Green allows you to make calls and to confirm any actions you have asked the unit to perform. You scroll through the various actions with the control wheel, then confirm with green button or just push the scroll wheel in to confirm. The instructions in the manual are a little basic but it does tell you this in the manual. If you want the full blown instructions just simply download them from the Parrot site.

I won't go into too much detail about how to fit the unit into the car it really is very simple. I had to use the suction cup method on the windscreen in my car because the dashboard is just too curvy to allow me to place it with the stick on foot. Once secure and everything fully tightened up it will just not move, which is exactly what you want.

Pairing the unit and the Phone was a breeze, just activate blue tooth on the phone and wait for it to find the Parrot. Once it's found, just confirm and put the default code of 0000 in. You will then be asked to download your contacts list, just hit yes and then within seconds it's done.

I can only comment on the Satnav software that is on my phone but I have to say that it is amazing. It all works very well and the voice commands are very clear and loud enough to hear. I tried the phone option while I was out and that also works very well " I haven't tried the voice control option yet" My family back home said that they could hear me very clearly and that there wasn't any distortion etc in my voice. I could also hear them very well and it came through loud and clear.

The unit comes with a variety of cables, in car charger, various phone chargers and a small Allan Key to allow you to tighten the unit once you have it set up in the position that you want.

In summary, I am so please with the item. It works very well and I can't wait to start using it on the long car journeys that I tend to make. Try it out for yourself and see what happens. At the end of the day you have nothing to lose, if you are not happy with it then simply send it back using Amazons returns Policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is similar to the fixed installation I have in my own vehicle., 29 May 2013
It is similar to the fixed installation I have in my own vehicle. This is for the works vehicle and enables us to remain within the law when driving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parrot Minikit Smart Universal Bluetooth Car Kit, 15 May 2012
Good machine, may be a little overpriced but it is robust and very much up to the job. It seems to work well in most circumstances and the mount, once properly in place, is solid and unmoveable, which is what is needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as expected, 22 Jan. 2012
Sticks to windscreen just fine, leads fit fine easy to install and start using. Solid build you get what you pay for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but no use for larger phones, 29 Dec. 2014
Liked like it was exactly the right thing until we took it out of the box and tried the phone in it.

Large smartphones such as the Galaxy S4 will not fit so it was returned for a refund