5.0 out of 5 stars Second time of reading; 45 years on!
Published on 6 Jan. 2013 by penelope pitstop

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great.
This is the fourth and last Dickens novel I'll read and none have come close to Great Expectations so far. It wasn't a bad read though, especially having previously trudged my way through the monumental bore that was Bleak House, but it didn't excite me enough to want to finish the entire Dicken's collection.

The general plot is very good. It's full of high...
Published 19 months ago by Mr. M. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time of reading; 45 years on!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
A Tale of Two CitiesI first read this book when I was about 15 years old and I am now nearly 60. I have attempted to re-read it several times over the years but have never managed to get into it until I received a Kindle for Christmas! I have really enjoyed reading it in this format. I think it is because the text is in smaller 'chunks' and you don't become phased by a large page of heavy prose. It is certainly a very moving, albeit tragic story, on many levels. Dickens' description can be a little too graphic, however you do get a feeling of 'being there'. I look forward to re-reading other classics that I read at school. By the way, surprise surprise, I cannot remember anything of my original reading of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best: vivid and gripping., 23 Feb. 2015
Jason Mills "jason10801" (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
This is one of Dickens' most satisfying novels. Although there is the usual scaffolding of coincidence holding things up, it's well buried, and the narrative feels tight and structured, the humorous and macabre early scenes of the Cruncher family being the only indulgence.

From the famous opening line to the even more famous close, the writing is solid and assured. There are magnificent passages of description, such as Mr Lorry's feverish dream and the French citizens scrabbling for wine from a broken cask, an overt and beautifully apt metaphor for the blood that will run in the streets later.

There is some sentimentality in the depiction of Dr Manette's fragile mental health, and his daughter's angelic nature is a stretch; but these are minor cavils. Whilst there is some meat on the bones of Charles Darnay, and Madame Defarge is as formidable as a Bond villain, it is the dissolute Sydney Carton who is the star of the book: his keen awareness of his own failure in life is affecting and compelling.

As the story grinds to its appalling and redemptive conclusion, it carries the reader along like a doomed prisoner in a tumbril heading to the guillotine, with the inevitability of Shakespearean tragedy. Dickens' horror at the Revolution's bloodshed is balanced by his righteous fury at the universal injustice that brought it about, leading to a novel that is nigh on perfect in its (if you will) execution...

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING. [ from one who doesnt read the classics or the Bard.], 13 Sept. 2011
ANDY (CORNWALL. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful book, I am so glad I made the effort to pick it up and try. Once you slip into the writing style and realise that you may [and may need to] savour and look back at passages pages and phrases as you proceed then you are engaged and in that world. I read it slowly, not 'whizzed through' as a lot of my novels are consumed.
How to describe ?- Evocative, descriptive and so alive, a real presentation and picture of those times people events and circumstances.
Sentimental, maudlin,verbose, a mystery-yes, moving-yes, exciting yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a book of two halves, Gary, 12 July 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I thought I'd read this years ago, but when we started rehearsing a stage adaptation I thought I'd refresh my memory. I don't think I'd actually ever read it.

It's excellent Dickens, well-observed, strong characters, often incredibly funny, everything you'd expect. The problem is that it should really have been A Tale of One City - Paris. The London scenes slow things up somewhat, and it's a great relief when the heads finally start rolling.

I'm glad I finally read it, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but with the best will in the world, that first half does drag somewhat. Not a single detail is unnecessary of course, it's all masterfully written, much of it essential to the later plot, and to compare and contrast 18th Century England with pre-Revolutionary France, with the similar levels of social inequality and arbitrary justice, must have given Victorian Britain a real 'there but by the grace of God go we' shiver. But still, it can be hard going.

The stage adaptation went pretty well, as you ask, but more to the point a certain scene towards the end of the novel has started me thinking in terms of a sequel of sorts. No, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it !, 20 April 2014
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
This is one of Dickens' most accessible novels. An exciting adventure story with varied believable characters. There is pathos and tragedy alongside comedy, a deeply flawed hero and Dickens' trademark beautiful heroine. Read it through once and you won't forget it. No wonder it has been dramatised for cinema, television and radio so many times ! Some of Dickens novels can be seen as a heavy read, but this one will get you if you give it a chance and, at this price, what can you lose ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Dickens classic - of course it's great., 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I knew the story but realised I had never actually read the book so decided to do something about it. Dickens always looks a bit intimidating but once you start, the stories carry you along. I love the story, the characters and the language. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Going But Worth It, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
Read this book as decided its time to expand my reading material, Charles Dickens is a classic author and this book didn't disappoint. Hard work to begin with and at times the language usage is difficult to comprehend so some re-reading required but overall this book is extremely well written and very enjoyable. Would recommend to anyone who wishes to experience Charles Dickens or who has any interest in that period of history

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Tale, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
We'll worth reading, the source of many a famous quote. A timeless tale of love, courage and revenge. Read and learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dickens mastery, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I started this book and couldn't get into it at first. After a few months I determined to pick it up and finish it. I'd never read a Dickens novel before. Anyway, I got hooked and couldn't stop reading it, despite some words/phrases going a little over my head. I didn't realise the French Revolution was so brutal and it was a heartfelt story during extreme and dangerous times. Loved it by the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very approachable Dickens, 27 Nov. 2013
J. A. Stewart - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful novels they are, but works like "Little Dorrit", "The old curiosity shop", "Dombey and Son" etc tend to be lengthy reads. In "A tale of two cities", Dickens weaves an intricate, fascinating and (occasionally) amusing tale, with brevity and deftness. London is at once delightful and grim, France is a playground for the self-seeking and (sometimes) vicious "aristos" and a hell on earth for the poor - revolution brews and its echoes are felt in London. A justifiable uprising turns sour and the human impulses to good and bad are clearly revealed.
I am delighted to revisit this splendid novel via the "magic" of Kindle.

A Tale of Two Cities