What a wonderful book, I am so glad I made the effort to pick it up and try. Once you slip into the writing style and realise that you may [and may need to] savour and look back at passages pages and phrases as you proceed then you are engaged and in that world. I read it slowly, not 'whizzed through' as a lot of my novels are consumed.
How to describe ?- Evocative,...
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by ANDY

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!
I've set myself the challenge of reading a, so called, classic story a year and this year was A Tale of Two Cities. I was quite disappointed, as it was remarkably similar to Les Miserables - am I missing something here? I found is a bit dis-jointed in places and did not enjoy it as much as other works by Dickens.
Published 9 days ago by Maxine Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING. [ from one who doesnt read the classics or the Bard.], 13 Sep 2011
ANDY (CORNWALL. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
How to describe ?- Evocative, descriptive and so alive, a real presentation and picture of those times people events and circumstances.
Sentimental, maudlin,verbose, a mystery-yes, moving-yes, exciting yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time of reading; 45 years on!, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
A Tale of Two CitiesI first read this book when I was about 15 years old and I am now nearly 60. I have attempted to re-read it several times over the years but have never managed to get into it until I received a Kindle for Christmas! I have really enjoyed reading it in this format. I think it is because the text is in smaller 'chunks' and you don't become phased by a large page of heavy prose. It is certainly a very moving, albeit tragic story, on many levels. Dickens' description can be a little too graphic, however you do get a feeling of 'being there'. I look forward to re-reading other classics that I read at school. By the way, surprise surprise, I cannot remember anything of my original reading of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
Can there be any doubt regarding Dickens' place in literary history? Truly colourful and vibrant characters brought to life in his inimitable style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful with flaws, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
All of this story is wonderful except for the sentimental description of the daughter and her father's relationship. The girl is too good to be true - fawning with her father whom she doesn't meet until she's a late teenager. They bond without a cross-word or misunderstanding. The girl appears to be based on Dicken's own romantic view of his sister-in-law. Her marriage is equally sentimental. Fortunately the rest of the book is excellent enough for that section of the book to be forgiven.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a book of two halves, Gary, 12 July 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I thought I'd read this years ago, but when we started rehearsing a stage adaptation I thought I'd refresh my memory. I don't think I'd actually ever read it.

It's excellent Dickens, well-observed, strong characters, often incredibly funny, everything you'd expect. The problem is that it should really have been A Tale of One City - Paris. The London scenes slow things up somewhat, and it's a great relief when the heads finally start rolling.

I'm glad I finally read it, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but with the best will in the world, that first half does drag somewhat. Not a single detail is unnecessary of course, it's all masterfully written, much of it essential to the later plot, and to compare and contrast 18th Century England with pre-Revolutionary France, with the similar levels of social inequality and arbitrary justice, must have given Victorian Britain a real 'there but by the grace of God go we' shiver. But still, it can be hard going.

The stage adaptation went pretty well, as you ask, but more to the point a certain scene towards the end of the novel has started me thinking in terms of a sequel of sorts. No, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 April 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I normally read far more modern books, particularly crime thrillers. Occasionally I enjoy a complete change and read a "classic". No wonder they tried to make us read Dickens at school! This book has it all - heroes and villains, mob violence, riots, romance, twists in the plot, love, hate.... It took a little time to get used to the old fashioned terminology but then I was hooked. Thank you to my English teachers for suggesting that I read A Tale of Two cities while in my teens. I'm sorry it took me another thirty years to get around to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tale of Two Cities, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
I'm ashamed to say it's the first Dickens' novel I've ever read (and I'm 65!) For some reason never had to read Dickens at school. Tale of Two Cities was a book club choice - I had a paperback version and my Kindle. I found it far easier to read on the Kindle, because you can change the size of the font. The print was very dense in the paperback version. I did find it quite heavy going, but persevered and really enjoyed it. Dickens uses the most wonderful language and the characters are so well described. I found this book really interesting politically, as it has similarities to what is going on in the present day with the Bankers, the riots of last summer, and of course the revolutions in the middle east. Plus ca change!
Since reading Tale of Two Cities,I have acquired David Copperfield and aim to read more Dickens in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Novel, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
It takes a while to get going, but when I'd finished reading I could say this was deservedly a classic. Dickens has a disdainful comic voice to his writing, which can be irritating at times, but then very apt at others. He recreates the world of the French revolution memorably, and gets you thinking about society and the currents which run through it. His characters all come alive in their own right so that you have a clear sense of them - even the minor ones - and it is enjoyable to see how their paths all entwine and come together for the conclusion. And the last pages were some of the best I have ever read in fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Only Read One Dickens Novel..., 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
If you only read one Dickens novel, let it be this one.

It's one of the shorter, easier novels if you feel daunted stepping into the vastness of his back catalogue. I enjoy all of his work but this is probably my favourite, purely on a historical basis. It is not as comedic as some of his other writing, but more descriptive and historical.

It gives you a good insight into the period as well as any history text book could.

It also has the second best opening text I think I have ever read. You should download it for free just to read that alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb Dickens novel, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Tale of Two Cities (Kindle Edition)
A great story, told in beautiful prose. I've loved the story since watching it on television at an early age - I wasn't even put off by studying it at school. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it again, with its picturesque descriptions and its sad but happy ending.
It facinates me how Dickens creates such interesting and diverse characters. In this tale, he interweaves their history and lives in a brilliant way.

ARRAY(0xac9f5b7c)