5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably accurate.
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by Anon

3.0 out of 5 stars Worryingly accurate but excruciatingly funny...
Much of my career has been spent working 'in partnership' with the Police and I can empathise with many of the author's tales about the 'underclass' and the problems they report to criminal justice (and civil justice) agencies. In fact, PC Copperfield's descriptions of the cases he deals with reflect much of my own caseload within a City Council's Anti-Social Behaviour...
Published on 18 Oct 2006 by Estella_USM

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably accurate., 21 Nov 2007
Anon (Cardiff, South Wales) - See all my reviews
As a serving Police officer, I can say that the only point in the book that I would disagree with is the amount of tea/meal breaks he gets. The rest of it is like reading my own accounts, and anybody who is even thinking of criticising individual Police officers for being ineffective NEEDS to read this book. It will allow you an amazingly accurate insight into the frustratingly wasteful world of 'modern' Policing, as well as providing you with much needed laughs!

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really changed my perceptions, 14 Nov 2007
I can honestly say reading this book has changed my perceptions of the British police force and reinforced my views on the evil of bureacracy. The stories were excellent if saddening, i felt so frustrated that the people paid to protect us spend their time paper pushing. I feel so let down by the current system that a good policeman spends his time dealing with 'abusive text messages' rather than patroling our streets. The fact he has to use a pseudonym from fear of losing his job is proposterous, he wants to help people and feels threatened telling the truth about how hard this has become. How so much time and training is spent on accepting peoples cultures but no training what-so-ever on how to catch criminals, how to deal with aggressive 'customers', how to help people on the beat.
This is where our taxes go, police have to spend time matching government statistics like our hospitals and our schools - i really believe passionately every single MP should have to read this. Its ridiculous but its true and we should face up to it and move for change.

This book made me geniunely angry and made me geniuinely care. It is an excellent book, i dont think it could very well have highlighted the sheer anti-climax of crime fighting in Britain any better and the itchy fingers of the police officers that just want to do their job but are prevented by ever mounting paperwork and people wasting police time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The thin blue line, 19 Mar 2007
This book is the funniest thing I have read in years. Or it would be if it weren't so true!!! I am a prosecutor and formerly a defence solicitor and this book is completely on the money. DC is a talented racontuer and the humour juxtaposed against the obvious frustration gives a real insight into British policing. And forms.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am using my husband's email address and I never drink police station tea!!

Congratulations - I hope there will be a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inner London coppers view, 9 Feb 2008
I've been working in central London for a few years having moved from an outer force, I've read 'wasting police time' a couple of times now, each time making me laugh like an idiot and sink into my chair feeling nearly as depressed of many people I deal with. Despite what that cretin Tony McNulty said - this book, and the blog for that matter, are as far from fiction as one could hope.

Or dread, depending on your point of view.

As response officers, the guys and girls on my team have to deal with anything and everything that comes over the radio or what happens in front of us, we have no remit and the results are exactly as DC has written. Domestics, drunks, suicides, cries for help, petty shoplifting and minor drug dealing are the bread and butter of what we deal with, no matter where in the country you work. And as for the issue of racism in the force... I personally have never seen it in any of my colleagues and yet we see it every day directly from members of the public - black, white, Chinese, Asian, Arab, eastern European. Everyone.

This book is about as close to the despair that every one of us feel every time we go to work and I urge you to read it, along with 'Diaries of an On-Call girl' which is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that needs to be read!!, 14 Oct 2006
This is an important book about modern Britain. That's really not not overstating it. Not at all. It's just sheer brilliant.

It's a humourous and incisive critique of wht's gone wrong with policing today. But the scary fact is that it could probably be applied to any of our public services today. And it should be read by every senior police officer and politician.

The most frustrating thing after reading this book is that an ordinary frontline copper has come up with simple solutions to solving problems...but that in the end none of those in charge will take heed.

What ultimately shines through though is the passion and dedication David Copperfield has for his job despite all that front line beat officers have to face. We need somebody like him in charge...although I doubt he'd want to take up the offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars True! Spot On! 100% behind this book!, 21 Mar 2007
Mr. M. J. Thompson (England) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic and more importantly so very very true.

I can see all the reports of "crimes" and incidents I have attended over my years.

Every paragraph I read I found myself smiling, nodding and saying "Yep, that's right!", "Done it!", "Been there!"

This should be compulsive reading for all politicans and may be then they would realise what actually happens in the big wide world.

All to much nowadays the Police is run by numbers. People don't seem to matter any more, just as long as the "scores on the doors" (As I like to call them) are good and improving each month.

A must for police officers and non-police alike.

Police will agree all the way and those non-police will hopefully have some sympathy for us as we (The Police) have for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read - and one thing that all the negative reviewers missed out on..., 13 Feb 2008
Firstly, what a great book! It delivers everything it promises. It is Humorous, witty, sarcastic, shocking, depressing, scary, and above all, very humane. It does shed light on what does go on in the life of an ordinary bobby, and I've no reason to doubt that the vast majority of it is as honest and truthful as the author intended.

Now, I noticed that a lot of the negative reviews have focussed on PC Copperfield's political leanings (Right Wing, middle class, lock-away-the-key mentality), and to be honest, I don't ascribe to this mentality at all...but then again, I do not have the privilege of sharing PC Copperfield's experiences in his job.

Besides, the personal opinions of PC Copperfield are not, and should not be the focus of the true intention of the book. The purpose of the book is to show that the state of the Police Force in the UK is rapidly becoming a minefield of beauracracy, where forms need to be filled in & filed, where conducting 'risk assessements' become more important than saving lives, and where the statistics on "Crime" are adjusted and massaged to show a more beneficial result. - Whether PC Copperfield is conservative or liberal in his outlook is a moot point. The issues he raises are still the same, even if readers don't always see eye to eye on his policitcal opinions.

In actual fact, the book benefits from his refreshing 'Speak my mind, and to hell with the usual Political Correctness brigade'. PC Copperfield isn't racist, homophobic or prejudiced in any way, but he's not someone who seems to be too worried about watching how he phrases things to appease the out-of-touch powers that implement this tripe.

Finally, it does give a brutally honest view of Britain's underclass, and the state that it's in. I may not be a police officer, but I've seen, experienced, lived amongst and even came from a part of it, and it's getting worse. It's one thing to be working class, but this new 'Chav culture' seems to be predominantly a non-working class, and worse still they seem to be happy with their lot, of claiming dole and benefits, then leaving their kids with babysitters while they go out partying. - Again, in this book, PC Copperfield does not vent out against them, but he does tell some truly horrific stories, and reflects how depressed and how disappointed he is with these people. And frankly, whether you're a staunch Daily Mail reading Tory, or a Liberal, your reactions if you were placed in PC Copperfield's situation would probably match his.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book but a depressing read...., 25 Mar 2007
First off I have to laugh at the Review by H Chambers, complaining of Council Estates being termed "slums" then managing to spell half of the words used wrong!

Anyway this is a great book that spells out the cold hard truth about the Modern police Force in the UK. It's a paperwork, political, PR lead machine that is far too soft on criminals.

Any bad reviews on here are obviously from "understanding" types with Sociology degrees. They should be left on a sink estate after 11pm on a Friday night. See if they disagree with PC Copperfield's views then...

5.0 out of 5 stars A sane copper in an insane Bureaucracy, 7 Nov 2007
I superb book that shines a spotlight on the insanity this government has created. A previous reviewer suggested that you needed to be a white middle class man to appreciate the book. It was actually recommended to me by an Asian Police Officer who took my statement after I discover two 16 year old girls trying to break into my car with a log... (Incidentally they did get off scott free despite admitting the offense and causing hundreds of pounds of damage). Its also been suggested you need to be a right-wing reactionary, well if by `right-wing reactionary' you mean imbued with common sense and recognise that we sorely need more Prisons, then perhaps. The book will make you laugh out loud, be angry, depressed, but most of all it will help you understand why under this government the Police have become so ineffective to the point of useless, a sad fact admitted by every officer I have spoken to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang on and nail on the head!, 12 Mar 2007
Mr KC HUTCHINSON (London England) - See all my reviews
PC Copperfield writes of the daily struggle to do a difficult job I did for many years with year on year failing sucess and enthusiasm. With the Tory Government of Thatcher and their bumptious and pointless Home Secretary Clarke who destroyed the pay and conditions of the police (in true Thatcher style, plainly she preferred the company of criminals in her government and family with her son) to the equally dishonest and even more pointless "Nu" Labour we are now faced with a demoralised police force under attack from a well financed "underclass" who fools in the government and social services listen to. Riven with worries of racism, sexism and every other "ism", a blinkered and cheaply hired prosecution body and a hostile press we are left with a police force that is no longer effective and has become an instrument not of justice but social meddling and tinkering. An excellent read describing a country in decline and some of the fools that fiddle whilst it does.