5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Writing for Dummies
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by J. Aslett

2.0 out of 5 stars Of very little use
The money spent on this would have been better spent on a decent Moleskine note-book. It says next to nothing about actually getting words on the page. Disappointing.
Published 19 months ago by Robert C Marshall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Writing for Dummies, 18 Dec 2009
J. Aslett (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
I have been looking at courses on Creative Writing, but all too expensive at this time in my life, so went for this book. It is excellent, it gives you motivation right from the first page, there are ideas, tips, and excercises. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Creative Writing as a starting point. You can treat it as a Course if you work your way through the book..... that is how I am using the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes learning fun, 13 Oct 2009
I am learing so much about the different kinds of writing and the exercises are challenging and help me to look at things in different ways. This book is very much in keeping with the "For Dummies" principle of keeping things simple and fun. It has also helped to change the way I read books - giving me more insight and apppreciation for various skills and tactics the authors use. There are many sections that I will probably never use, as I cannot see myself trying to write a play or poem, but it is still interesting reading. And you never know ..... I am in the very early stages of creative writing and the book really encourages me to continue pursuing this interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 24 Aug 2009
I have several books on creative writing. Save yourself a lot of money, just buy this one. It reduces the essentials to simple lists which are logically arrived at. It expresses in clear logical ways just what you are doing,as well as giving exercises which are educational rather than just time consuming. Follow the advice in this book and you just can't go wrong. It can't write for you, and it would not want to as it always stresses the individuality of the author, but if you can't write after reading this you probably should give up. I wanted help in all sections of novel writing and I got my money's worth,. There is no area that is not covered. We should all be grateful to Maggie Hamand , she has written the definitive work for neophytes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction into the world of writing, 27 Nov 2013
FussyMissus (Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I needed some inspiration to move me on from where I was with my writing and thought that this book would be a good place to start - and it is!

Having read and used various other books, including the valuable Making Money Writing Letters To Magazines, and having gone through the fast track of getting payments for writing, I decided that expansion was the key not only to skills I already had but to learn whether or not I could use the new skills introduced in this book.

And what a wonderful way to learn it is.

They keep it simple, fun and oh so easy to follow, and whilst the exercises can be a little patronising at times, they are still worth doing if only to clear your head and get you into the writing frame of mind.

The book acts like a small course, and whilst it is lacking in depth, it gives you a wonderful introduction into the many ways you can turn an idea into something you want it to be, and can actually suprise you as you discover that you can indeed do poetry, or that you truly do think you can write a play.

Worth getting if only to expand your horizons and get you out of a writing rut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 22 Feb 2013
Victoria Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Writing For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
Great book for any budding writers out there. Some pretty common sense stuff in here, but it was great to just get me organised! Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Creative Writing For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
Got straight into it, considering the title it's actually very good, covers a lot of stuff in a no-nonsense sort of way, straight to the point.
It has excercises, tips, plenty of support and encouragement, just what i needed, i recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Aug 2010
Craftaddict (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
Very useful book, split into handy categories, clearly written and informative, would recommend to any aspiring writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Creative Writing For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
excellent reference books with lots of good tips and exercises. I think it would probably be better to purchase a paper copy that to do as I did and buy it for my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for creative writing book, 7 April 2013
Great book.. A must have for all novice writers.. Loved every bit of it and all doubts were cleared :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop right here!, 26 Mar 2011
This book has it all. No need to waste money on anything else. Great, easily understood and a terrific help from page one. Keith Newton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›