5.0 out of 5 stars The best slow-cooker recipe book I've found

Published on 1 May 2010 by D. Grayson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best slow-cooker recipe book I've found, 27 Dec 2009
WindsorMummy (Windsor) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am so pleased I bought this book. I am fairly new to the world of slow cooking, having only bought my slow cooker in October this year. However I really enjoy experimenting with different recipes in it, so have tried several slow cooker recipe books in order to find successful ideas. Firstly the best thing about this book is it is NOT Americanised - no disrespect, but it can be frustrating trying to 'translate' different names for ingredients and getting your head around the measurements. All the ingredients I have required so far for the meals have been easy to find.
The book is full of different and unusual recipe ideas, very different to ones I've come across already. Nothing I've tried so far requires too much preparation, and with most recipes there is a little section on the same page which offers a variation on that recipe and its method. There are also hints & tips on how to get the most from your slow cooker, which I found very beneficial.
I definitely recommend this book to someone who is new to slow cooking, or who has been doing it for some time and is on the lookout for something new to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy size and great recipes, 16 Dec 2009
I. Craigie (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a neat little book, with well-illustrated, tasty recipes (the "beery barley beef" was a real winter warmer). I have used it a few times, and quite like the fact I can take it with me to the supermarket and use it directly as a shopping list! The recipes often have variations on the theme, and this actually gives the book quite a few more than the 200 of the title. Sara Lewis seems to have cornered the market in slow-cooker books, and this is as good as the rest, well priced, and in a handy (almost!) pocket size. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering photographs!, 20 Nov 2009
K. M. Denny (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Unlike my other slow cooker books this one has pictures of the food that look really tempting and modern! Everything I've cooked so far has tasted great too, and there's loads of interesting ideas I wouldn't have thought of like ginger cake and poached salmon.
And at such a bargain price - everyone who has a slow cooker should have this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, 1 May 2010
D. Grayson - See all my reviews
All of these recipes you have to pre-cook everything, which to me seems pointless using a slow cooker. Also this recipe book says you can't cook meat in your slow cooker without filling it up with water first, my other cook book (link below) states otherwise. I have tried cooking a joint of beef and a chicken without adding liquid, they cook in own juices and taste fantastic and take the same amount of time to cook as they do in the oven.

I was looking for a recipe book to get ideas of meals I can make in my slow cooker by putting everything in, no pre cooking needed.

I did however find a book that suits my needs - Slow Cooking Properly Explained: Over 100 Favourite Recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive slow cooker book - a must have!, 5 Dec 2009
This is a great little book - far more comprehensive than other crock-pot books I have come accross.

Practical and doable recipes to feed the family - and it even tells you how to make a christmas pudding using your slow cooker or crock pot. I made this for the first time this year - and although we haven't eaten the result yet - it looks and smells fabulous and was much less scary than trying to cook it in the pressure cooker!

I would really highly recommend this book to anyone with a slow cooker.

I knocked one star off for the small size of the book - there are so many recipes in here - it could have been a bigger more spectacular book - perhaps even hardback for durability as it is a book you will hang on to and use (almost daily) for years!

4.0 out of 5 stars easy, 2 Dec 2009
EASY TO FOLLOW, SOME INEXPENSIVE MEALS AS WELL AS MORE EXPENSIVE ONES. NOTES ON HOW TO USE THE SLOW COOKER, VERY GOOD.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence, 8 Sep 2011
I haven't had time to try any of these recipes so far, but having read through a few of them I'm a little bit disappointed that there aren't more 'one-pot' meals that I can put on in the morning and come home to after work in the evening. There are lots of lovely-sounding recipes but if I was at home and able to put ingredients in at different times and cook other parts of the meal separately, etc., I'd be cooking conventionally and not dragging it al out for hours by using the slow cooker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not liked at all., 28 May 2013
I found only two recipes in 200 that I would ever use! A huge number of them started with "25 minutes preparation time" which rather defeats the purpose of time-saving cooking methods for me. I subsequently bought elsewhere a fantastic slow-cooker book with most recipes starting "put everything in the pot and switch it on". I've used several of them and they all work extremely well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ideas for meals, 11 July 2012
I know the book is cheap and Im not complaining of the cost rather the content. The recipes included are pretty poor. There is a wide variety but of a low standard.
Don't waste your money, you can search for all the recipes in this book and find many more that are much tastier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 19 Dec 2010
This book is good if you want to try different things . But if you want basic food like stews this isnot the book for you. But I found it had some nice recipes in.