5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Extender
We live in a big house and have our broadband router at one of the house. This product was easy to install and we have tried multiple devices on it.

Before buying you must check that your the power sockets you are intending to use are all on the same fuse board, as the internet is boosted through the house system.
Published on 27 Jun. 2012 by gcdlharper

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!
The product works OK but there are a couple of things buyers should be aware of before purchasing.

Published 18 months ago by DavidL

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, 18 Oct. 2013
DavidL (York, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR XAVNB2001-100UKS XAVNB2001 Wall Plugged Wireless-N Powerline AV 200 Extender Kit (Personal Computers)

First, as at least one other reviewer has said, these devices only work between sockets on the same circuit. So if you have a relatively modern house the chances are that your upstairs and downstairs sockets are on a different circuit and will have a separate circuit breaker on your distribution board ('fuse box' in old parlance). There are ways to get around this. One is to run an electricity extension cable from one floor to the other and attach a socket so that you have, say, an upstairs socket on the downstairs circuit. The second option is to run an ethernet cable from one floor to the next and buy a wireless access point to plug into it, such as the Netgear N150 Wireless Access Point. Both incur extra cost of course.

Secondly, and amazingly, Netgear do not sell the wireless extender units (XAVN2001)separately to dot around in different rooms. You can buy extra ethernet adaptors which are compatible, but not extra wireless ones. The only way to get an extra XAVN2001 is to buy the whole kit again and then you have a redundant adapter unit (the one you plug into the router). At £65 a pop that is a no-go for me! So another work around is to get a compatible ethernet adaptor, plug it into a socket close to where you want the wireless signal and then plug a wireless access point into that. Cost again.

The bottom line is, if you only need one wireless extender and are operating on one electric circuit then this should be fine. Otherwise you will need to spend more and should think about the total solution for your whole house before buying this extender kit (unlike me!). But come on Netgear, at least do the obvious thing and let us buy extra wireless extender units (XAVN2001)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Extender, 27 Jun. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars This works well, 28 May 2013
This really does what it says it does and it's relatively easy to set up. You just have to follow the instructions carefully and voila! you can use your laptop or whatever in rooms that have remained untainted by wifi until the little Netgear extender kit arrived in one of its sockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Powerline 200 Wifi Range Extender, 15 Oct. 2013
Paul Ward (Beds England) - See all my reviews
Even after paying Virgin Media £40 to "upgrade" to a Virgin Media "Super Hub" our Wifi range was still poor.
I bought this kit to enable us to use wifi in our lounge which is two rooms away from the room with the hub.
It was simple to set up and the wifi signal in the lounge is now excellent.

It is possible ( the instructions say!) to set up the system to automatically switch from one wifi network (the Virgin media wireless hub) to the other (The Netgear Powerline hub) as you roam the house, but this part of the set up defeated me, so I select the strongest signal manually on my phone or Ipad depending where I am in the house -which is no problem really.

The units are well made and have indicator lights which show correct operation and enable you to choose a power socket which give the best signal. One unit plugs into a power socket and also connects to a spare port on the Virgin hub with the Ethernet cable supplied. The remote unit plugs into any power socket extending the wifi signal from that remote unit. (Some instruction recommend that the circuits must be from the same consumer unit but my system works perfectly across power circuits from two consumer units in different locations.) The remote unit also has an Ethernet port so you can plug a device into this manually. During set up you push a small button on each unit to enable a secure connection.

I downloaded Wifi Scanner app on my phone that measures the wifi signal strength.
In the same room as the Virgin hub the wifi signal is -46dBm. In my lounge this drops to -85dBm without the Powerline connected and is virtually unusable. With Powerline connected I still get -46dBm in the lounge.

Virgin Media do supply the same Powerline unit but it was cheaper at the time on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, just what I needed., 18 May 2013
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I previously had a set of Devolo Powerline Adapters (devolo dLAN Highspeed II (HomePlug) Starter Kit - (2x plugs)). These were ethernet only and so I also needed a Sitecom router to extend my wireless signal to the front of the house. The set-up worked reasonably well, tricky to set-up but did the job and the speed was adequate (30Mb at the main router, turned into 5Mb for a laptop near the extended the router). However, I always thought that an upgrade could help the speed and so I decided to go for an upgrade. So glad I did!

1. Set-Up: Couldn't have been easier. Simply plug one in next to your router, connect the ethernet cable to your router. Plug the other in wherever you want it. Then simply log-in to the wireless (no IP addresses, just go to www.mywifiext.net)) and log-in and make any changes you want (change the network name, add a password etc.) It's that simple and took me 5 mins maximum. The extender plug also has an ethernet port on it, should you want to plug a device (e.g. a smart TV with no wireless functionality straight into). Couldn't have been simpler.

2. Form factor: The combined plug extender and wireless router means that there's no second router to faff about with. Just plug it in and you're done. So simple.

3. Speed!! I tested using speedtest.net on the old set up and the new set. 5Mb before 22Mb after. Maybe powerline adaptors have simply improved since the last set that I bought, but this was so much more than I hoped for. I'm looking forward to a much more responsive iplayer experience, netflix movie streaming etc.

Overall, couldn't be happier, well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, 6 April 2013
D. J. Chapman - See all my reviews
The product is good but it would have been nice to have had a trio i.e. one attached to the router and two plugs to go around the house

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value; does what it says on the box. Easy setup., 3 Sept. 2013
There are "faster" powerline adapters on the market, but it's unlikely you will get the benefit in real terms. If your router has a WPS button on the back (and almost all of them do) you can have this up and running in under 5 minutes - literally.

In case anyone's confused, to set this up you connect the wireless (larger) adapter to your router to programme it (press WPS) then disconnect it and plug it in wherever you want it in your house. Then plug in the smaller one by your PC, connect it to your router and off you go.

4.0 out of 5 stars NETGEAR WIRELESS, 30 Sept. 2013
This wireless enabler works extremely well and has extended the Wifi in the house exactly as I wanted. I found setting up slightly tricky not helped by the instructions telling you to wait for a green light to show and finding that my version had a blue light!

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution regarding customer care/aftersales, 22 Jan. 2014
The product itself is very good and I cannot fault it.

However, when you buy it you have 3 months of customer support by phone or via online chat. After that you must purchase Netgear's Gearhead support package.

I bought my kit over 3 months ago. Recently I lost my WiFi key (needed so your internet connection cannot be used by people out with your household and so any data sent remains secure e.g. bank details, passwords, etc) so could not connect new devices to the range extender. I followed the online instructions and did a factory reset so that I could create a new WiFi key.

When you set up a new key it asks you to type in the password printed on the back of the range extender but it kept telling me that the password was incorrect. I checked it and this is not the case. Rather there seems to be a fault with the Netgear software.

I called Netgear and was told that I was no longer entitled to support. I explained that a problem had developed and the customer service agent said this made no difference. I was not satisfied with this and asked to speak to his supervisor but he refused to do so, and when I asked for customer complaints he told me no such department existed. He failed to tell me they have a customer care team (or something), which I found out about later.

I would advise you to avoid buying this product unless you are very tech-savvy. While the 3 month customer care package might seem adequate I don't think so, as you will probably need to use it when you are setting up your product and any problems will occur later in your product's lifespan. At which time your support package will no longer be valid.

Before you buy I would urge you to look at the customer comments on Netgear's Facebook page as well as doing a Google search to see other people's experiences.

If you live in the UK and have already own this product and have a problem my understanding is you should be able to return it to the store where you purchased it (or here, if you bought it on Amazon) and explain that it is faulty. You can also check Consumer Rights online. Their telephone support is very helpful.

I hope you manage to avoid the experience I have had with Netgear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 22 Oct. 2014
After reading some of the reviews I was expecting a tough time setting this up, but, it was a sinch. I followed the basic, but adequate, instructions plugging one end in near the router and the other in its target socket. Once both were showing green lights, pressed the security button for 2 secs and hey presto all done. The only thing left to do was to attach the plug to the router with the supplied network cable. On initial log in via my laptop, I was prompted to change the SSID and password for the network which I changed to match the SSID and password of my BT Home Hub 3. Job done. i now have network all over the house on the same network name with devices adjusting to the nearest network as you walk around. Exactly what I had hoped for and all done in 10 mins. Fantastic product, happy to recommend