4.0 out of 5 stars Fifth in series

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fifth in series, 30 Dec 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lara Adrian's vampire series is of course very similar to J R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books. This is not a bad thing as Ward's books are very good, but it does mean that each new book from Lara Adrian doesn't feel as fresh as it could. The same is true of the newest release, 'Veil of Midnight', which follows the love life of vampire Nikolai. Nikolai was always rather a sketchy character in the previous books, one we didn't read all that much about and who wasn't generally the centre of the action.

In this story Nikolai is sent to Montreal to check up on one of the few remaining Gen One vampires, the rather unpleasant Sergei Yakut. The events of this story follow on from the previous ones and so a newcomer to the series might not always entirely follow what's going on. The Gen One vampires are being killed and the Order (warrior group of vampires) are trying to protect these earliest vampires, the result of a mating between alien beings and humans.

Nikolai doesn't get much of a welcome from Sergei Yakut, unfortunately, but he does bump into one of Sergei's women, Renata. Renata is very unusual in that she has a certain psychic power that can temporarily disable vampires; she is also looking after a young girl, Mira, who can predict the future. When Sergei Yakut is attacked, Nikolai is kidnapped. His rescue comes, unexpectedly, from Renata who needs him to help her rescue Mira. But Renata doesn't trust the vampires and it's possible that her mission to rescue Mira might work against the plans of the Order to get to the bottom of the attacks on the Gen One vampires.

I enjoyed reading this book, finding the pacing good as always. I did feel, though, that the characterisation was a bit sparse. I didn't know Niko before the story began, I didn't feel I knew him a great deal more afterwards. Renata, too, was sometimes something of a mystery, although she was an appealing heroine. Other parts of the plot were moved on, such as the occasional focus on Andreas Reichen in Berlin, but the overall story in this book felt at times a little thin. It was enjoyable but perhaps a little more run-of-the-mill than some of the others.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Veil Of Midnight, 21 Jun 2010
I started reading these book while I was waiting for the next Black Dagger Brotherhood book to come out and got hooked on these too.
I really loved them.
At first I really didnt like the main female in this book and though id be left dissapointed, but the more I read the more I like her, until I was just as hooked on this book as all the others!
I do think we could have got to know more about Nikolai, as i think hes one of the character we know the least about it, but still a fantastic book.
Im giving it 4 out of 5 because this is probably my least favourite of the series, but this doesnt mean it isnt good, its still great, a definate must read!
If you like BDB, Demonica novels, Lords of The Underworld, Immortals After Dark, you'll probably like these books too.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay...not the best in the series, 19 Jan 2009
I was so looking forward to this book but I'm afraid I was left disappointed. The plot was engaging, lots of twists, new deveoplments and it did leave you wanting to read the next book. However I thought the romance was a bit flat. As the previous reviewer commented - the characterisation needed more work, I didn't feel that I knew much about them so this had an affect in believing they're love and passion for each other. I struggled to find an emotional investment and at times I felt that the Renata suffered from To Stupid to Live syndrome.

Also, we didn't see much of the other characters which is a shame, it's always great to see how they interract with each other or how their lives have moved on. I can't help but compare it to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series but...we get that interraction in those books and it's hugely enjoyable so that by the time we finally read a particular characters story..we're practically salivating (geez, is it May yet?)If I had known more about Niko then I could have made a better connection. This series will never be a BDB in my opinion but it's still very good and I look forward to read Andreas' story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samey (I know its not a word), 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
To be honest I stopped reading it. It all became a bit samey. However, I am a fast reader and there tend to read books one after another in quick sucession this is probably why I found it samey as its predecessors. If reading each book as it was published at the time I may not have noticed it so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each one better than the last, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
This is now the fourth book in the Midnight series and each one gets better and better. Each story centres on an individual of the order but also carries on the plots from previous books. Excellent writing, grabs you the moment you start reading and makes you hunger for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
Just brilliant. Again Lara Adrian takes you through a roller coaster of emotions. This is definitely up there with The Black Dagger Brotherhood & the Dark Carpathian series for me, maybe even better dare I say.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
Exciting and gripping, A fantastic book that keeps you entertained the whole way through. All the characters are awesome so it's hard to pick a favourite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
The whole series so far has been good, but this one put a different slant with the character of Mira.
However it would be nicer if there was more interplay of the characters and storylines of the other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars a stomping read, 4 Feb 2014
loving these books, super mix of action, chivalry and romance and just to top it off there's even a good storyline building so try to take the books in order

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read too continue the bigger story., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed) (Kindle Edition)
Found this episode of the midnight breed series not as exciting as previous ones, but still a entertaining read; if you are following the story, don't pass up on this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
4.79