5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for homebrewing

Published 12 months ago by C. C. Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for homebrewing, 31 May 2011
Mr. S. Roberts (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burco Cygnet MFCT1030 30 Litre Counter Top Manual Fill Water Boiler Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
This boiler is perfect for homebrewing. It can maintain a constant rolling boil for the required time and the tap can easily be changed for a more suitable one. I used 'Conex Push-Fit 350 Tank Connector 15mmx½"' and 'Conex Female Coupler 303 15mm x ½"' all from Screwfix (+ a rubber washer from B&Q). This allows you to put on any 15mm tap and any hop strainer configuration you like. Happy brewing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Trade description issues, 27 July 2013
C. C. Taylor (Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have had this catering urn in daily use for three months now and it has functioned very well, apart from boiling over spectacularly if left unattended with the thermostat set to "High". OK that is a thermostat issue and all thermostats vary slightly from each other. I was disappointed to find that the power rating of the boiler was only 2.5 kW and not the 3 kW as advertised on Amazon and certain other suppliers' websites. Even more annoying is the fact that this item is widely advertised as having a 30 litre capacity, when the maximum deliverable capacity is only 25 litres. If anyone is prepared to flout all safety instructions and fill the urn to its overflowing brim, and then when the water level falls to that of the outlet tap, to pick up the urn and tip out the three litres that lie below the level of the tap, then they might just get 30 litres out of it, - if they survive. The rest of us fill the urn to the "max" mark and stop drawing water when the tap stops flowing, thereby getting the maximum of 25 litres that is deliverable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a brewing boiler, it's very good!, 6 April 2014
This review can be taken at two levels, for general hot water provision for catering, or as a boiler for home brewing purposes. The unit is of a sturdy stainless steel construction with good quality high density plastic fittings, the photo is old the design is updated with the side handles also acting as a lid securing closure. The element (2.5Kw not the 3Kw as quoted elsewhere) is fitted with the base and accessed underneath giving the heating vessel a flat internal base with a slight recess to capture mineral deposits making it very easy to clean. With a 25 ltr water volume it heats from 10'C to a rolling boil in 1hr 10 mins (key staging on this is: 10 to 70 = 45 mins; 70 to 90'C +15 mins & 90 to a boil +10 mins). The unit has a genuine 30ltr capacity which gives sufficient head space to safely accommodate a rolling boil with water. The lid fits well with two vents and has a `lug and twist' securing method which is very easy to engage. The tap is robust and positive. It is a sound well-made unit and would be a good catering asset . In comparing the Burco Cygnet to commonly available plastic `bucket and element' brewing boilers I am very pleased. It is eminently cleanable compared to a plastic bucket and the construction will give a much longer useable life. You only get a 1-5 & High thermostat control compared to some of the digital read-outs on other kit but it can be `calibrated' by immersion thermometer and appears very reproducible (example on mine the point of the trailing edge of the 3 = 72, my mash addition temperature & 4 = 80'C, my preferred sparging temperature). I have had no boil over, to the extent I have modified my boil so that for a std 23 ltr batch I now over fill to 25 ltr and boil back. It is a strong rolling boil and is safely accommodated in the cygnet. If there is a minor (buy obvious) negative it is that all that metal probably conducts some heat away slowing things down but then how much insulation does a thin plastic bucket really give anyway? The ease of cleaning and robust construction more than compensates.The one change I have made is to replace the standard tap with a 25mm, threaded in & out, dairy ball joint, also allowing a bazooka internal filter to be fitted, a very easy job. That black stripe up the front looks like a calibrated vision panel, it isn't, but no problem. The walls are uniform and vertical, perfect for a volume indicator, but there isn't one (just the 30ltr max mark), I have got round this by putting calibrated markings on my brewing paddle, which when stood against the inside of the side wall works well.I am pleased with the unit and would buy again.
UPDATE: Have now completed four brews with the Cygnet. Boil is rolling and predictable to the extent I have upped my batch to 25ltr from 23 (but boiling down and making back rather than initially over charging). Cleaning is very easy and quick. No issues with the dairy valve I added or leaking. I remain very pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burco Cygnet Water Boiler, 24 July 2011
This is a great product, it is very easy to use, it is so quiet and heats up really quick. Great for functions.
One of the best products I have ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars English tea in Spain, 27 July 2013
A must for all clubs. We, Sporting Alfas Cricket Club, searched all over Spain before Amazon solved our problem. Our boiler Works hard at every match and the temputure is just right for tea and coffee. It helps our tea ladies who in the past needed to boil a kettle every minute or so but now just pour hot wáter for a players well deserved cup of tea.
B004EAERSS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Water Boiler, 17 Jun 2013
I used it yesterday, for my first homebrew beer. Perfect. Very solid. Easy to clean.

Carlos Caburrasi Bustamante

5.0 out of 5 stars hot, 28 May 2013
hot hot hot

got me out of a problem when my hot water

system broke down and could not afford a new boiler

I will keep this unit for emergencies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for homebrewing, 14 Mar 2013
Dr. T. M. Wakeley (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this to make beer in. I had some concerns about it holding a rolling boil, but these proved unfounded. I had to drill out the back of the tap inorder to fit my hop filter, but that was no hardship. All in all I'm very pleased, it's a nice upgrade on my old HDPE plastic boiler (but I should say that it has a 2.5kW element not 3kW as advertised).

5.0 out of 5 stars Burco boiler, 21 Feb 2012
This boiler was bought for our local village hall to help quench the thirsts of our hirers. It is a perfect size for our needs, and soon boils up to temperature, and stays hot enough if you add smaller ammounts of water at a time. Perfect for any caterers, or anyone who wants a massive kettle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, 30 Jan 2014
We bought this for use during training days. it worked brilliantly for 3 days solid, took about 90 minutes to heat a full 30 litres, and stayed nearly boiled all day on the No. 5 setting. Waited until it was about a third empty to re-fill it and it took about 10-15 minutes to get back on the boil.

I read the other reviews but have to admit it is a really simple, easy to use water boiler, the only query I have is why is the re-set button on bottom underneath the unit? It does hold 30 litres and yes the tap is about an inch above the bottom of the boiler, does that matter? Not to me it didn't, just means that when the lads can't get any more water out of the tap I still have an inch of water in it so it does not boil dry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›