5.0 out of 5 stars EMS Thriller, 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: Frantic (Paperback)
A great EMS-police crime/thriller written by Katherine Howell, a former Australian "ambulance officer." One of the main characters is a woman paramedic, the other is a female detective. The paramedic's husband, a police officer, gets shot and their baby is kidnapped. From that point on it is a nonstop rush to the conclusion. There are many EMS scenes -- as authentic as you will find in any book. While this is Howell's first novel, this is an incredibly accomplished thriller, filled with unexpected and shocking twists.

Hopefully, we can look forward to many more EMS-related crime thrillers from Howell in the future.

-- Peter Canning, Author of Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read..., 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Frantic (Kindle Edition)
Frantic is the first novel in the Ella Marconi detective series. I think that Katherine has an excellent writing style and she clearly knows her subject when it comes to writing medical jargon having come from a medical background herself and working as a paramedic.

What was immediately apparent to me though was that although the series is about Ella Marconi, Ella herself is not the dominant female character in the book and I'm not sure whether that is deliberate. I almost forgot about Ella and was more interested in Sophie, the paramedic whose husband Chris, a police officer is shot and whose son is abducted possibly murdered. On the basis that this was the first book and Ella was going to return I would have expected her to be the dominant female character, but maybe I just got wrapped up in the story and wanted to find out what had happened to baby Lachlan which is probably no bad thing as it kept me reading. I thought the twist at the end was great. There were a couple of loose ends I would have liked to see tied up.

When I started to read the book a few months back but for one reason or another I did not have the time to get further than about page 60. The main action starts from around page 83 so there is a lot of build up to the shooting but I read the rest of the book in one sitting so that's a good recommendation!

Frantic