5.0 out of 5 stars A good entry to making mechanical objects.
So, you've read and understood a basic practical electronics book likeMake: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery or programming an ardiunoGetting Started with Arduino (Make: Projects) and now you want to, as the book says, make things move.

Published on 24 Jun 2011 by S. D. Spicer

Published 2 months ago by TJ

5.0 out of 5 stars A good entry to making mechanical objects., 24 Jun 2011
S. D. Spicer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Like the above books, this is an entry to medium level book. If you've struggled with concepts of materials, levers, motors and stuff; this book will give you the keys to open up the techniques and technologies that will help you.

It's very practical, but puts the theory in where it's needed in an understandable way. It's littered with diagrams and real world examples. Fortunately, this is not a book that has loads of pre-digested projects; instead you are given far more useful concepts and principles that you can apply to what it is you want to do.

I'm an artist that makes kinetic sculptures; I'm not a mechanic or a geek. This book was a perfect start and reference book. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lets you be a Maker!, 8 May 2011
J. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and I am not sure what to say. I was really excited about this book and the concept behind it. I pre-ordered it from Amazon months before it was on sale and rushed straight into reading it when it finally arrived. The concept behind this book is as the title says... making things move. The book works through a series of different projects that you can make alongside the book. There is even a website to back up the book.

This book would be really good if you have had limited making skills or experience. It works through loads of different concepts such as linkages , leavers, friction etc... For me it was just a bit too been there got the t-shirt. Its not that it is a bad book, it is a really good book! If you have messed around with motors, gears, automata etc.. and are looking for the next step I wouldn't recommend it. However if you are starting off as a `Maker' I would really recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it will sit on the shelf and act as a good reference book for the future, 6 Oct 2014
There doesn't seem to be many other books for this topic so its difficult to compare but overall its okay. I have very little experience of making moving mechanical objects but I have to admit I don't feel I have learn't as much as I expected reading this book. I also found the book lacks inspiration inside; its very well presented but it didn't get my imagination spinning with ideas for projects. I think it will sit on the shelf and act as a good reference book for the future. Its easy to read and follow; you don't need to be technically minded to follow it making it accessible to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 25 July 2011
A typical American format/layout book.
The information is very similar to british school D&T sylabus books
of the last 20 yrs.
However there are 2 excellent chapters on formula,which simplifies
down to a very basic level using sketches.
The chapters using Arduino primer,and stepper motors should take
you towards understanding animatronics better.