on 26 June 2011
I ordered the cable to extend the iPod dock in the armrest of my 2008 VW Golf and it works perfectly.

I've used both my iPod Touch 1st Gen and iPhone 4 and both work the same.

I wanted something that made it easier to get to the iPod to change the album - the VW iPod connector in the armrest is a small slot that you push the iPod into and unless you have the top of the range head unit with the VW MDI connection, you can't control the iPod remotely (other than next / prev track)

The iPod still says "Accessory Connected" and won't allow me to change albums unless I disconnect it, make my choice, then re-connect it, but this is not a fault of the cable - more a bug of the iPod software.

Once on the album or playlist I want, I can use the head unit (RCD 300) to change track.

I hope this is of help to other VW owners looking for a similar fix!
on 19 January 2011
I have been looking at different cables to connect my iPad to my Bose Sounddock II, there are lots of stories on the net stating it is possible and that it isnt, I took a punt on this cable and can confirm I can use it to connect the iPad to the Sounddock, it does charge the iPad and I have full control (using the remote) of music playing from the iPad.

on 5 February 2011
The product works as described on speakers and docks running on domestic voltage, but be aware that it is not compatible with VW ipod dock Proxima's customer service is fantastic
77 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2011
This is the second dock extender I've attempted to buy off Amazon. The first one went in the bin (it was only £3) This one is being returned.

All I want is a dock extender for my iPad 2 that will play audio and charge. According to the description of this dock extender cable it should do that, however sadly it does not. It does charge, however it does not transmit sound (unless I just received a faulty unit). However, given this is my second (and last) attempt at purchasing the correct cable off Amazon, I've had enough, hence this review.

When connected to the iPad and play music, it does nothing. When connected to the iPhone it first says accessory not optimised for this device and again does nothing.

If you want a product that transmits audio and video, this is not it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 June 2011
Cable is black and a metre long reassuringly thick which implies most, if not all, pins are connected. Build quality is holding up after a months light usage.

I have used it to link an iPad2 to devices where an iPhone or ipodTouch form factor is assumed eg. a Gear4 alarm clock which was designed for use with a recent iPod touch or iPhone (which you load an App on the phone to set the clock up). Well I don't have such a beast and setting up via the limited clock buttons was a pain after multiple brown outs. However loading the App onto my iPad2 and using this extension cable works a treat. Clock reset, alarm reset and FM station restoration happens as if I had an iPhone.

I have also used it to extend my usb dock cable to sync to my Mac with success. Charging also seems to work both via the computer and to the iPad power adapter.

I have found one disappointment which may scupper some peoples planed usage. You cannot use this extension cable in conjunction with Apple's VGA dock adapter with iPad2 ie iPad <--dock extension--> <--VGA adapter --> <vga to projector--> where you may want to to 'extend' the reach of a venue provided VGA cable (which tend to be heavy and stiff) when you want to make a Keynote presentation for example. The iPad fails to detect the VGA adapter with the dock extension cable in place. In one experiment the iPad reported that this accessory was not suported. Eliminating the extension cable and plugging the VGA adapter directly always worked though. This may not be a fault with a the cable but the technical way Apple 'detects' the presence of the VGA adapter, probably with a precise voltage drop circuit across a couple of pins for a particular dock adapter (eg VGA or HDMI or DVI etc). The extra meter of copper may just case the voltage drop to be out of spec. Someone may wish to confirm how this works. Maybe the VGA adapter draws power and the dock extender interferes or one of the pins is not connected. I do not know.

Otherwise a useful cable to carry in your kit.
on 12 February 2011
First thing I tried this with was an iPod Touch 2G, and used the cable as an extension from the normal apple cable. As soon as I plugged it in the screen on my iPod turned white and froze. Had to restart and try again, same thing.

Next I tried my iPhone 4, and it seemed to work good to charge. Have not tried to Sync yet.

Finally, I plugged my iPad into my Docking station using the cable. The sound and controls work good through the cable, but it doesn't charge the iPad although I think that may be to do with the power of the dock.

I've come to the conclusion that it works best for New iGadgets and not so good for older ones. Still a good buy though!
on 1 December 2012
I bought this cable to dock my iphone4S into a Bose station, mainly because I was fed up of taking the case off my iphone to do so - it's a fiddly little business. Also, it meant I could use my ipad too via this method. Anyhow, it worked fine for a short while, but then the black square on the bit you dock fell off exposing all the circuitry etc. As it wasn't expensive I didn't return it - it's gone to land fill, where it will break down over hundreds of years, long after we're all gone. Oh the misery...
on 25 January 2011
I had previously purchased 3 other leads from different sources to connect my Ipod touch 2G which sits in a new Ottorbox defender case and my Sony clock radio all of these leads would only act as extension cables between the Ipod and the Apple usb lead connected to my computer. None of them would make any sort of connection to my Sony dock all be it charging or audio. I purchased this lead as a last option. IT WORKS I get charging and audio. I am so impressed and relieved!
on 26 August 2012
This is terrific in my 2011 VW Passat with RCD 310 Radio and Multi-Media interface. It does everything it says on the tin - extending the supplied short iphone lead. I had previously tried a cheaper one which did not work. I was put off by one report that it didn't work with VW - but it does for me. The radio sees the music structure on the iphone and will control your choice from the console / steering wheel. Be aware that if you are trying to use it with Tomtom, the RCD310 will not attach to the iphone unless it detects output from it. If you do not wish to hear music all the time, create a silent MP3 file and a playlist called silence. Playing this causes the connection to be made and your Tomtom then works through the car speakers. Tomtom fades the music - if playing and the cable charges the iphone. Telephone use still works by Bluetooth. Great. Cable struggles through the gap between the glove locker and the console however.
on 23 April 2012
Connecting my iPhone 4S to the sound system in my car via USB interface requires a special lead from the manufacturer, which is annoyingly short at around 300mm. In spite of searching I was unable to find a longer version of the lead supplied by BMW (forcing me to choose between using the MP3 player OR being able to see the screen as a result of the socket position). This product is the ideal solution. Since the manufacturer's lead is still plugged in it allows charging, MP3 playback (with all data still on the display + control via the steering wheel) and most importantly locating the phone in a position where I can use my TomTom application. The cable is a reasonable quality, especially considering the price, and the connectors themselves are good quality (though the shiny plastic on the plugs does scratch relatively easily). In summary a good product and the perfect solution to my problem!